Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Question

Options
I am getting a quote on a cedar table that will hold both of my large eggs. 

Should the table nest pictured below work for a table? I know I need a sufficient amount of airflow underneath my eggs. On my current table I have flat concrete blocks sitting under my egg, but there is still plenty of airflow underneath the blocks. I just don't want a fire. 

This is what I currently have.

Do you guys that have a similar configuration think the below will work?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Your second picture of the table nest is the proper nest for a table application. For clean looking lines maybe you can recess a stone below the table nest.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Thanks @Tinyfish

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    From reading, seeing mfgrs suggestions, science, and the forum posts, I think the perfect set-up is the little nest or ceramic feet, on a 1-1/2-2" paver on wood. Gap should be min of 5/8"-3/4",between egg and table hole, and I would feel safe. I have been shooting my set-up with an IR gun to check for hotspots, I still need some feet between my egg and paver so I'm not even practicing what I preach yet, what a hypocrite, right? Be safe and fire free man.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'm right there with you @anton‌ I did manage to at least purchase a table nest last week, but it's still in the basement. I do plan on putting it on a paver still. I'm going with better safe than sorry.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I think I am going to go with the table nest and put a paver under it. For a large egg will a 12" x 12" paver work?

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    John, I went downstairs and measured the large table nest. It's 19" from tip to tip. A 12" square paver is almost 17" on the diagonal. It will work best with a 18" paver. You'd have plenty of room.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks Jason! 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    johnkitchens
    Adding the table nest on top of the same thickness pavers or bricks you have there will raise your egg up, giving you a bigger safety gap between wood and table hole as well. Next time you cook, feel around with your hand or an IR gun and see how warm the wood gets, if all is cool, well then you're cool man.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • orbbq
    orbbq Posts: 39
    Options
    If you're getting a custom table done, i would suggest considering spar varnish + teak oil, mixed 3 parts teak oil to 1 part spar varnish for a finish.  I just made a cedar topped table for my XL and i'm getting an awesome glow out of it using this combo.  It also feels like it will weather better than straight lacquer or urethane finish.  I'll post pictures once the 3rd coat is dry.
    BGE XL in the Pacific NW
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. Take it and you won't have any problems. Nest plus paver will raise the egg 4 inches so take that in consideration. You want the handle to be no higher than belt high IMO
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I am not sure of the finish. He just said an "all weather finish". @grege345 one of my concerns is that it will be too high. 

From all of the pics I have seen most people are using pavers underneath. I wonder if I use the table nest and instead of putting the nest on top of pavers I could put it on top of steel? 

I was thinking about using an 18" x 18" square of 1/2" steel plate. Any opinions on that? 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    John if it was me, I'd design it to have both the table nest and an 18x18 paver or piece of granite. That way you're covered and not worried. Even more so, if I was to build another wood table, I'd cover the entire bottom shelf in granite or pavers.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wood tables scare me to begin with. I'm planning a steel/stainless steel table for my next one.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    I have my XL and Medium in my furniture sitting in table nests with fire bricks under that. I also have a fan in there to blow air after a low and slow. Probably overkill but I don't want a fire. I don't bother with the fan if I am doing a direct fast cook. 

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I had my large on my cypress table directly on a paver for a few years. Last fall, I decided to clean the Egg, and sand and apply new polyeurethane to the table. When I moved the paver stone, the table was burned and black directly below it. It never smoked o showed signs of igniting, but scared me nonetheless. I bought a table nest and it works perfectly.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @Mayberry so you are using a table nest directly on top of the wood like my pic above with no problems? 

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌ I am in the process of building a cedar table for my eggs. My plan is to use a table nest which will set on fire bricks that are laid into the table leaving air gaps below egg and below the bricks. Just a thought , good luck.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Yes, I'm using table nest directly on the table and there is no direct heat on the wood. Adding a paver or fire bricks into your table plans can't hurt, though.
    Athens, GA
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I just don't want the egg to be too high after it is in the nest and then on pavers. That is why I was wondering if 1/2" thick steel plate would work.

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Have your builder lower the shelf of the table the thickness of the paver !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Mayberry
    Options
    I think steel would conduct heat more than stone/brick. If I were putting anything, it would be brick or paver. The steel may defeat the purpose
    Athens, GA
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @calracefan and @Mayberry I think you are both right. I will do that. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @johnkitchens, I have mine sitting on a piece of granite.  I have felt the granite on cooks to see if it is hot, but it has never felt hot.  I am beginning to wonder now though. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I just don't want the egg to be too high after it is in the nest and then on pavers. That is why I was wondering if 1/2" thick steel plate would work.

A steel plate under the BGE Nest would be fine.  If anyone thinks the conductivity of the steel matters, well, it doesn't in this case.  It actually acts as a radiant barrier and dissipates heat much faster than it conducts, which isn't an issue with the egg a couple of inches above it.
    Options
    @nolaegghead thanks! 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    No problem.  You don't need thick steel either, but it won't hurt you.
    Options
    @nolaegghead I am thinking 1/4" or 1/2" I can get my hands on that all day long. 

• DaveRichardson
    Options

John @johnkitchens, The table nest should be more than enough for the heat barrier.  I saw something interesting where someone too aluminum strips that were thin enough to bend by hand and several feet in length and recessed screws into it an had it fastened along the egg's cutout.  Not really functional (in my mind; but I'm a newb at thermodynamics), but it looked really pretty. 

If I was going to steal that idea, I'd also place it on the horizontal rails of the table upper and lower sections.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    @johnkitchens, I have mine sitting on a piece of granite.  I have felt the granite on cooks to see if it is hot, but it has never felt hot.  I am beginning to wonder now though. 

Granite is not a good conductor of heat, so the heat won't spread out much.  What you can't tell is how hot the granite is in the center under your Egg.  With the heat not spreading out, the egg & the granite can get quite hot where there is no air flow to cool it.  That's how those scorch marks form where people set their egg on top of the paver.  I would highly recommend either the Table Nest as shown above or the 3 feet be added to your set-up.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I am getting a quote on a cedar table that will hold both of my large eggs. 

Should the table nest pictured below work for a table? I know I need a sufficient amount of airflow underneath my eggs. On my current table I have flat concrete blocks sitting under my egg, but there is still plenty of airflow underneath the blocks. I just don't want a fire. 

This is what I currently have.

Do you guys that have a similar configuration think the below will work?

That is the ideal support for an Egg in a Table.  I have a metal table and I still use the Table nest as shown above as the feet didn't fit properly.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.