Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to big green egg

Options
We just go our cal big green egg can't wait to fire it up tomorrow any advice for a first timer would be welcome

Comments

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

Advice:

#1. Cook on it...

#2. Extend your line of credit (you're gonna need it for stuff)

#3. What NPHuskerFL said

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited January 2015
    Options
    +1 on above, don't forget to burp the egg, don't sweat the little things, relax, read a lot here, and jump in and contribute here

also, welcome.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome, get some attachments so you can cook raised indirect. Go buy a ton of meat. Get ready to be the cool guy who everybody wants to get invited to dinner by.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Welcome and be patient ! Let the fire establish and the smoke run clear before you start cooking. I have found that fire management is the biggest challenge at first. For more specific help ask more specific questions. Good luck!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Welcome
    Best advice..all the above PLUS TRUST the TEMP. It doesn't lie. Buy a dual temp thermo. Dome temp is different than grill surface.
    Thermoworks dual temp smokehouse probes.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    We just go our cal big green egg can't wait to fire it up tomorrow any advice for a first timer would be welcome

Only advice I have is, be careful when asking for advice on the forum.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    stemc33 said:

Yep, this forum has cost me a lot of money!
    ;)
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I can't add much to what has been advised already, but, most of all welcome aboard, glad to have you here, looking forward to all your input. Go cook and have fun!  
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Welcome!  Post pictures with forks.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and the Egging life. Follow the advice of the other posters. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    stemc33 said:

True Dat! =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Use good lump, the BGE stuff isnt it.
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Dobie‌ ready to group buy yet? Or are you still good?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Dobie
    Options

On my last bag now, was just about to text you. Order up please.
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Dobie said:

On my last bag now, was just about to text you. Order up please.

Same quantity for you Chris?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Dobie
    Options
    Yep 100 lbs please.
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    ^^^^^Done
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Dobie
    Options
    ^^^^^Done

Thanks Blake, did he say when it woud be ready for pick up?
    Jacksonville FL
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Like what everybody above said and most of all welcome and have fun.  For your first low and slow cook try doing a pork butt they're very forgiving, they've come out great for me.  

This place has given me a wealth of info from some great and helpful Eggers.  Check out http://www.amazingribs.com for some great info on Q'ing

Post pics and don't worry if your thread gets highjacked a little bit.
    :-\" :-h
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options
    Something that is not BGE specific, but what most here learned as the BGE made us up our cooking game...forget all you know about cooking based on time, and cook to temp.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. Ask your doctor to start looking for a backup liver.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Dobie said:

^^^^^Done

Thanks Blake, did he say when it woud be ready for pick up?

I'll txt or call you in a few. I'm stuck up on this roof turning wrenches.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    AUCE said:
    Welcome Best advice..all the above PLUS TRUST the TEMP. It doesn't lie. Buy a dual temp thermo. Dome temp is different than grill surface. Thermoworks dual temp smokehouse probes.

I quit caring about grill temp.  The dome temp tells me what's happening in the egg, and it's ultimately where the whole interior temp will stabilize.  Seems to work for me.
    NOLA
  • Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    Options
    For me, when it comes to recipes and process, less it more.  I keep my recipes simple.  Burgers have 2-3 spices added, then the grill does the rest.  Brisket, simple mustard and dry rub, grill does the rest.  Steaks, salt and pepper, grill does the rest.  I get creative on a few things (asparagus for example)

The DigiQ made temperature control something I seldom have to think about. It is also handy for stoking the fire early (quicker to temp.)

Get a Pizza setup.  The most fun thing for the family to cook on the grill, IMO.  Again, less is more here.

If you like smoke, I find that the whole logs work better for me, versus chips or chunks.  I can go a whole cook on these. I set them up in a triangle formation in the coal.  

Invite friends over while you cook.  Have a cold one.

Don't worry - You will figure things out quickly.  It just takes a few tries.

Oh- Hang onto your cash until you really know what you want.
    Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

• Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    Options
    One more thing, when your friends and neighbors come over for a cook, you must tell them the amazing food is because you are a good cook.  Don't give all the credit to the tools.
    Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You have heard that there are many ways to skin a cat.  Well, on this forum you will find our that there are many ways to cook a cow...or a pig... or a chicken..or a pizza ..you get the picture...  not all the information is right,but most of it is not wrong.. a lot of it becomes personal preference. (i.e Firebrick vs. Woo2,   indirect vs. direct,  Rockwood vs.  Royal Oak,  foil or no foil,  Yeti vs. Sytrofoam, IPA vs. PBR.  Digi Q vs. Stoker;  Thermapen vs. ThemaPop)  These will all make sense to you in a few sleepless weeks.  Have fun!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @cooksteregg

My sis-in-law gave me a copy of "The Kamado Smoker and Grill" cookbook by Chris Grove for Christmas. I've owned my L since May. 

I kind  of poo pooed it because of everything I've learned thanks to the Forum. I also assumed it was all about  "the other brand", When I finally thumbed through it I realized how much I already had learned - thanks to the Forum again. What I've found since,  it makes for a handy refererence when I don't want to get on-line (temps, meat temps, etc)  and there are more things I want to learn and try. 

Turns out Chris is an Egger and credits the Big Green Egg in the book but he just doesn't make it obvious. 

Check it out. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    X2 on all above ... Start easy steaks or ribs maybe some wings get your feet wet :) trust the cooker ... Wait for white smoke to dissipate ... Keep lid closed don't look too much lol beer beer and 1 more beer

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"