Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions on asking price of XLBGE with many accessories....

Options
r8rs4lf
r8rs4lf Posts: 317
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to see what the forum thinks is a fair price for a gently used XL (paid $1099 SoCal prices) with the following accessories. Smokeware cap, Cover, Nest, Mates, CGS rig, Woo, (2) oval grates and crossbars (for rig) for a tri level system, Drip pan (always foiled), PS, Pizza stone, BGE CI grate, Grate holder the attaches to rear of nest, Probably a bit more that I'm forgetting. This would be sold in SoCal. Please no suggestions on keeping it. If it sells I plan on getting a LBGE and starting over. FYI I have a MBGE and a MM also so I would not be without. TIA

Comments

• Greedygoat
    Options
    Curious as to why you're selling the XL to buy a Large when you already have a Medium.
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • r8rs4lf
    Options
    The XL hardly gets used. It's just too big. The medium gets about 80% of my cooks. The MM may pick up the rest or maybe more as time goes by. I haven't had the MM long enough to tell. The last time I used the XL I cooked 4 costco butts for a family party. That was in August. That's the only use I'll get out of it, big cooks that don't happen too often. I'm pretty sure I can accomplish this with a Large. The XL was my first egg purchase and I went big thinking it's better to have more and not need blah, blah, blah..... It is true, but I think I haven't used it enough to justify the cost. Purchasing a Large isn't a must. I just don't want to sit on the $$$ after the sale of the XL because money burns a hole in my pocket.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    No kidding here I would say 700.00 is all you would get for it. I could never sell a egg I would just buy a large. :D
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    What the market will pay....aka guys on Craigslist.
    You can always put obo....but $7-800 sounds like a decent start.
    As a large and mini owner I would just keep rather than take that hit. The large is not going to be that much better, and u have to buy the toys again.
    Seattle, WA
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    $1000

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Shoot I have a xxl that I used 1 time so far. Ain't no way I would sell it. Soon as I would I would need it.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • motowfo
    motowfo Posts: 32
    Options
    General guidelines here in TN is 1/2 of what you paid.  The next owner does NOT have a warranty!
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    More work but to maximize profits you could sell your accessories separate.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    If the medium gets 80% of your cooks, how is selling the XL and buying a L going to help?  I think you have the perfect setup now.  On those few occasions when you need more space, you have it.  

Selling a used XL and buying a new L won't net you any real money ... so all you'll get is a smaller less versatile grill.
  • TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    maybe you could just work out a straight across trade with a Large egg owner that wants a bigger one?
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    @tylera that's a great idea. Also if you remain friends with whom ever you trade with you could still "use" the warranty. Best of luck and I'm sure there is someone near you that had a large and wants an xl.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    You have a lot of great accessories. Only problem is they are only worth it to someone who knows what they are. Example. I ran into a guy at work who has had his egg for two years and never heard of a woo or an AR.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The people on CL don't know what this forum does. I just sold a large for $660 with nest and mates and I live right down the road from BGE. If I were you I would start at a minimum of $900.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    TylerA said:
    maybe you could just work out a straight across trade with a Large egg owner that wants a bigger one?
    l like that, if you find someone he must be within reasonable driving distance, assuming he's also the original owner of the large, you guys can file warranty claims for each other when needed.

Tinyfish said:
    More work but to maximize profits you could sell your accessories separate.
    Not sure about making profits, imo it's minimising the losses
    ;)
    canuckland
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I'm thinking you're completely off your rocker
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @Canugghead thats what I was thinking in my head just didn't come out right...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    @Tinyfish, my bad, just nit picking on ya
    :\">
    canuckland
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have your exact setup minus the MM and I think it's perfect. It sounds like I do more big cooks than you do so my ratio is more like 60%med 40%XL. I doubt you will sell the XL for enough to get all the Eggcessories for the Large you have for the XL. I'd do a clean burn on the XL and sit back and enjoy having it at the ready for the August family party. XL is an awesome tool and a lot more efficient than people give it credit. Maybe the large was the better investment for you up front but right now trading in the 2010 Accord for the brand new Civic isn't going to save you any dough.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:
    The XL hardly gets used. It's just too big. The medium gets about 80% of my cooks. The MM may pick up the rest or maybe more as time goes by. I haven't had the MM long enough to tell. The last time I used the XL I cooked 4 costco butts for a family party. That was in August. That's the only use I'll get out of it, big cooks that don't happen too often. I'm pretty sure I can accomplish this with a Large. The XL was my first egg purchase and I went big thinking it's better to have more and not need blah, blah, blah..... It is true, but I think I haven't used it enough to justify the cost. Purchasing a Large isn't a must. I just don't want to sit on the $$$ after the sale of the XL because money burns a hole in my pocket.

I was in your camp on my thought process when purchasing my large. I thought should I get the XL as long as I am spending the money...glad I went with the LBGE...it uses way less lump than the XL (Have you thought about lump dividers?)

I bought a Mini and for the wife and I..... it does great

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Staying OT & adhering to your request. With accessories in SOCal $900-1,100
    Egg by itself $550-600
    Accessories could be sold separately.
    Personally I would try to sell as a package to lessen the hassle of it all.
    Good luck to ya laddie.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Sorry man, no way I'd pay more than 50% off cost of an XL. No warranty is huge. Id throw $700 and front row tix to a raider game. Lol
  • mgunders
    Options
    I went the same route, started with the XL, bought a medium and now a Mini Max. Medium has become the workhorse but the Mini Max is catching up quickly. I rarely use the XL but when we entertain the extra space is valuable. Save the XL, once you sell it you will need it. Just buy the large, you will sleep better at night knowing that all those eggs are outside ready to go.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    I have a xl and an old gas only thee of us in house. Love the extra room make most of the meal on it
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I am confused, why would a Large get more use than a neglected XL?  It seems the Large would see the same neglect, and then you just have a less versatile red headed step child.  I don't get it.

But, to stay on topic, I would say that you list it for 850.  Forum people always talk like they would never pay this or that for a used egg.  That's because they are eggucated.  You are not selling to them.  List it higher and see what happens.  No need to rush the sale either.  I had my Large listed for 600 and I settled on 550 with a guy over the phone.  He got kinda annoying trying to bring it down more.  He actually told me that the other large that was listed for sale at 700, he had talked her down to 600, why wouldn't I drop another 100 off like she did.  I told him he should probably go back and buy hers instead.  He kept calling after he realized his mistake.  I love that I can block calls on smartphones ..
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    I wrestled with large vs xl. Went xl. I've found if you manage you fire even on small 2 steak cooks and snuff. You won't use anymore lump than any other really. Yeah takes a lil more to ramp up but thats worth the capability.
    I think you'll regret selling it. After you take the $$ hit and repurchase the goodies you will have spent the same as you have invested in the xl.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Wouldn't the money lost of selling the XL and accessories pay for a lot of Lump? If it was wasted!
    Seems
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you are not using it and want to get rid of it that is understandable.  I agree with others that selling it for a large just doesn't seem like a practical move.  At best you will come out even for a smaller egg, but likely you will end up paying a little extra to downgrade.  

Have you considered trying something like the reducing ring or angle brackets?  

Note the link to purchase is here:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• r8rs4lf
    Options
    I think a lot of you are missing the point. I'm not trying to use my XL for smaller cooks because I have the medium and the MM for that. The point is to get rid of the XL because it hardly gets used at all and it takes up space in my garage. Like I also said previously, the only reason to invest in a large right away is because I wouldn't want the $$$ from the sale of the XL to go to waste on something else. I do see everyone's point about wasting money though. Maybe I'll list it on CL and see what bites I get. If I can get close to what I want then maybe I'll sell.
  • Pork N Stein
    Options
    In the Dallas/Ft Worth area, that setup would sell on Craigslist for $1000 pretty easily (and fairly quickly).
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • promad
    promad Posts: 36
    Options
    I just sold my large for 750.00 and I am getting a brand new extra large this weekend for 850.00 is that a good deal ?