Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

J-B Weld?

Options
Greeno55
Greeno55 Posts: 635
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
My MiniMax arrived for Christmas with a fire ring cracked in 5 pieces. My dealer informed me yesterday that BGE will be replacing it under warranty, but they are out of stock at the moment. He figured 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, I'd like to piece the fire ring back together so I can use the Woo that just arrived today :-bd and make the ring more stable to clean the grill, etc. I've read in here people recommend J-B Weld. I just want to make sure this is the stuff I need.
Thanks

LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That should be fine whilst you wait on the replacement.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    mine is just pieced in like a puzzle, no glue. my box and ring are in a dozen or so puzzle pieces
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you are going to be hitting grilling temps that may not hold up. I used jb self on a plate setter and it was fine but when I tried it on a firebox it didn't last 1 cook even.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    JB WELD is great and have used on different eggs over the years.  I have also taken some wire that is a little smaller than a #2 pencil lead and wrapped my firering about 3 times around it and 4 years later it is still working. 
  • Greeno55
    Options
    Thanks for the insight. I'll give it a try. Hopefully it's only for a short while.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I reviewed the MSDS.  There is no way in Hades I would use JB weld inside my Egg. 
    Y'all can do what you like, but I prefer my steaks to be flavored differently than "Eau de JB Weld"
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    FWIW mine is broken and until I give my dealer the pics I too roll exactly as @fishlessman‌ described earlier.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    My daisy wheel fell off of my large the 1st time I used it and broke. Tried JB Weld without much success.
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I reviewed the MSDS.  There is no way in Hades I would use JB weld inside my Egg. 
    Y'all can do what you like, but I prefer my steaks to be flavored differently than "Eau de JB Weld"
    Agree, I was thinking the same thing.

Might as well just use lighter fluid and charcoal briquettes too!!!! 
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    How the heck did all your mini maxes come broke?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    2-3 weeks is unacceptable to me. My dealer changed my cracked parts the day I returned them.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Greeno55
    Options
    @henapple‌ - This dealer is great. He just has no MiniMaxes in stock. The 2-3 weeks was how long he's saying before BGE itself has the parts available. I guarantee if he had one available, I'd already have it in my Egg.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My bad...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    henapple said:

2-3 weeks is unacceptable to me. My dealer changed my cracked parts the day I returned them.

Me too. Just have to have time to make it over there with my phone pics. They have one waiting for me. I just always seem to find something else to do vs going there. I'll need lump soon enough so....
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    I bet my dealer could beat up your dealer.. :D

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Greeno55
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I bet my dealer could beat up your dealer.. :D

Oh you wanna take this outside???? >:/
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Folks, to be fair to OP's dealer, please remember MM is newly released, many dealers don't even have the egg itself, let alone replacement parts.
    canuckland
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The fire ring is the same as the small. They didnt come up with a new one that's why it doesn't fit the box right.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Lit said:

The fire ring is the same as the small. They didnt come up with a new one that's why it doesn't fit the box right.

I was about to say the same. @Greeno55‌ does your dealer know this??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know that
    :\">
    canuckland
  • Greeno55
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting to know. I'll look into it.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I just picked up a new Mini fire ring $25..a Mini plate setter $23..and set of feet $10...my dealer is FANTASTIC

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Zmokin said:

Agreed.....imo not a good idea

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Options
    I successfully used JBW to piece my 35 year old egg back together. It does say that it is only good up to about 450. I only use that egg for about 200-400 now. Best of luck!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Read the MSDS on creosote.