Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Replaced Gasket - Question

Options
Do I need to do a 2-3 hour ( or any length) burn to help seat the gasket prior to cooking an actual meal??

Comments

• walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options
    Once whatever you used for the gasket has cured you are good to go.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    What gasket did you use????  Depends on the adhesive.  Rutlands with the permatex is a 24 hr cure then burn baby burn....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    After installing Rutland I waited a day or so and the only burn I did was right before the cook. I have noticed that after removing top and bottom OEM gasket and installing Rutland on bottom only I get smoke escaping when I use probes. I already leveled the dome but I may need to do it again or install rutland on top also?

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    tz666 said:
    After installing Rutland I waited a day or so and the only burn I did was right before the cook. I have noticed that after removing top and bottom OEM gasket and installing Rutland on bottom only I get smoke escaping when I use probes. I already leveled the dome but I may need to do it again or install rutland on top also?

I don't recognize your moniker. Did you buy your Rutland from me? I include directions on how to compress the gasket back into itself making it both thicker and wider. After that if you have leakage it's a matter that the planes of your dome and base do not match. BTW - no I would not apply a second Rutland to your dome.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    I got the rutland local and I did compress the gasket back onto itself. I will loosen and realign.

• pecoswbildbill
    Options
    I used the  med BGE gasket .
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Then a couple of low temp cooks to cure it is all you need.  No pizza!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!