Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermopop vs weber 6492

I was about to pull the trigger on the thermopop (gonna put off the thermapen for now just because of the price) and I saw this weber instant read on Amazon for 9.99. Anyone have any experience with it or know anything about it? Got great reviews, but I know it's weber... ;)
LBGE | Conroe, TX

Comments

• H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Ya know, I had the sane dilema last year. I did not want to spend $100 on a thermopen. So I bought a $10 Maverick, always wondering if I did the right thing. Then I purchased a $70 CDN, always wondering if I did the right thing. Then I purchased a $20 BGE which was much better, but still wondered if I did the right thing. Right before Christmas I decided to buy myself a Thermopen, I FINALLY DID THE RIGHT THING! There is no comparison, so don't put it off.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    If I never bought the numerous cheapos I would have spent less with thermo pen. I currently have thermo pop and still wish I had thermopen after seeing one in action.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    weber = Honda fit
    Thermapop = Honda accord
    Thermapen = Ferrari
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    thermapop is really good i have a thermapen also and the pop is just a tad slower.... I would go with the the thermapop over the webber cheapo
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Spend the hunskie, get the ThermaPen. Well worth it in my humble opinion.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    anton said:
    Spend the hunskie, get the ThermaPen. Well worth it in my humble opinion.
    :-bd
    Agree…and "if" you ever have issue there customer service is fantastic...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The problem is not that it's a Weber product you're considering - it's that the product is not actually Weber product. Weber has great manufacturing, great warranty service, and great customer service. That thermometer is likely made overseas and is only branded as Weber. Thermoworks is a quality company, with quality service. Getting the thermapop is a no-brainer.

I have a thermapen and am not terribly impressed with it. I later bought a thermapop, and would have bought only it if it had been available earlier. Most folks who wax poetic about the thermapen never cooked with a quality thermometer before or even to temp, and so the difference is stark.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have a ThermoPop and like it, but I was to do over I would get the Thermopen. If its between the ThermoPop and Weber, I would get the ThermoPop. IMHO.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    You can't go wrong with a product from Thermoworks.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    I have a thermoPop and i love it  the 2-5 seconds that it takes to read the internal temp isn't worth the extra $ 100
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    +1 on thermopop. I am a big fan. It's very quick and accurate. Just to note, it has a backlight and rotating temp display. I don't know about the Weber. 
    Dallas, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    TN2TX said:
    +1 on thermopop. I am a big fan. It's very quick and accurate. Just to note, it has a backlight and rotating temp display. I don't know about the Weber. 
    Another good feature is that it turns itself off after 10mins. I kept burning through batteries on my rt600c because I would often forget to turn it off.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    I have used a number of digital thermos. I currently have a Thermopop and a Thermopen. I like them both a lot. I use the thermopen almost exclusively though. I like the ergonomics much more than the thermopop. It also fits in my pocket better.

If I was choosing between the thermopop and weber I would spend the extra $15 and get the thermopop.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    I look at it this way: Save one ribeye and I paid for it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    H12mike said:
    Ya know, I had the sane dilema last year. I did not want to spend $100 on a thermopen. So I bought a $10 Maverick, always wondering if I did the right thing. Then I purchased a $70 CDN, always wondering if I did the right thing. Then I purchased a $20 BGE which was much better, but still wondered if I did the right thing. Right before Christmas I decided to buy myself a Thermopen, I FINALLY DID THE RIGHT THING! There is no comparison, so don't put it off.

What he said.....SPEND YOUR MONEY WISELY..do it once and you won't regret it..(hey you have outrageously expensive charcoal grill..did you say "why not get a Weber?")

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    We now have 4 Thermopop's and a Thermapen. My wife kept on stealing the Thermopop so I bought her a couple of more. Good thermometers IMHO
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Thanks everybody. I appreciate the help!
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009

I know it's tough to justify spending $100 on a T-pen...try and save every dime you can for 1 month and then put it with the $10 for the Weber

Try Amazon and apply for a credit card you get $30 off...plus the $10..you are 1/2 way there

http://www.amazon.com/ThermoWorks-Splash-Proof-Super-Fast-Thermapen-Thermometer/dp/B002GIZZWM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420606685&sr=8-2&keywords=thermapen

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    I love my pop...

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida