Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

long cook - mini max

5lb butt - enough room? Tips for set-up? Problems?

Comments

• Red Dog
    Red Dog Posts: 21
    Any info is appreciated!
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Yes enough room for butt.I dont know about lump. If you turbo u might be OK but if low and slow u will have to add lump. I go indirect when I do butts.I use plate setter.
  • I just did a 5.5lb. butt on my small which is the same size grid and went 11-12 hours at 250* with about 1/3 of the lump left at the end. Check out my recent thread for pics and more info on the cook.
    Minneapolis, MN - 1 Large Big Green Egg & 1 Small Big Green Egg
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I believe you could L&S that size butt (or Turbo) with one load on the MM. Longest I've went was 8 hrs on a chuckie at about 235℉-275℉ and I had enough left to go probably 3-4 more hrs.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Red Dog
    Thanks all!  I've had LBGE for 6 yrs, many butts.  Just wanted to try this first one on MM with a few hints.  Trying tomorrow.  Any additional thoughts?
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Red Dog‌ load it up as much as you possibly can. Are you using a little smoking wood also?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I have done 4.7 lber on mini. You are fine. Never seen a minimax but on mini you need to pull out dome thermometer some
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Red Dog
    @Husker - Even though I am a "purist" (translated - lazy) I do add wet chips; hickory!  Not much room as I have lump about 1 inch below plate setter.  Lump is laid, salad oil soaked paper towels set and just waiting for the 5AM match.  "Chubbs" - I just angled the butt a little and avoided the thermometer. This will be my first low and slow on the MiniMax.  Getting it ready to join the RV so I can show the EGG off to RV buddies.  It is a little heavy - but doable.  My next effort will be to try a beer can chicken.  Think I will have to remove the top ring to get space.
  • Marcusp
    Marcusp Posts: 16
    I cooked a brisket for 11.5 hours at 225 and still had coals left over in my MM.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Marcusp said:

I cooked a brisket for 11.5 hours at 225 and still had coals left over in my MM.

Nice :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Marcusp said:
    More info on this cook please!  That is awesome.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    YEMTrey said:
    Marcusp said:
    More info on this cook please!  That is awesome.

I am probably going to make a pork shoulder this weekend on the MiniMax for the NC game Monday nite.  So, if I do, I'll post some stuff here on the process.  I'd do a 7# bone-in shoulder, no guru controller (i don't think i have one that fits the MM's air inlet but i'll check that out too) but if i do anything, i'll post it all up here next week.