Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storage table/cabinet for Eggcessories?

KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
Christmas put me over the top with eggcessories that will fit in or on my egg.   My egg is on the deck so I won't build a big table up there (just seems wrong to put the egg in a wood cabinet on a wood deck attached to the house) and the metal/stone tables are more than I want to spend right now.  So, I'm looking for a storage cabinet for things like plate setters, stones and grates when I don't need them.  A bonus would be if it were dry storage for charcoal as well.

If I can find something for around $300, that'd be good.   I have seen the Suncast Prep Station, but wanted something a little nicer looking.   (I already have my share of plastic bins so want to stick to wood or metal).

I thought of any outdoor patio boxes and potting tables, but most of them have really crappy reviews online with regards to stability, lifetime and just not shipping to you without damage. 

The best option I found based on another forum thread was the Husky Mobile Work center from home depot.  I'll have to measure and see if that is too big for me or not. Does anyone know if it is waterproof enough to keep outside?  Doesn't have to be perfect but would rather not have water sitting in the drawers every time it rains.  TheShaytoon threw pictures up in THIS thread back in June and that looks pretty nice (but it also looks like he has a nice covered patio).

So, this has been asked before, and I did search for those answers, but was hoping there are some other options people have found...

Know any nice Non Rubbermaid storage options for Egg accessories?

Two winners are below, I am concerned that the Husky may be too big and leaky, but I like it!

And on the below Suncast wood box, looks a little better than the 100% plastic options, but wish it had wheels.image

Whattya got?  and THANKS!!

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Please let me know when you solve this problem.  My Weber gasser isn't talking to me anymore, since most of the time it's filled with egg accessories.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Did you see the cover that I put on it?  Although it does sit under a covered patio, it does get plenty of rain on it.  

Linky to the cover...  http://goo.gl/Cxh6E6

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• KiterTodd
    TheShaytoon, thanks.  I did see that link (forgot it was from you).

So, you've had it for a while now.  Still happy with it as a grill table solution?  I tell you, it looks pretty darn nice for storage and just nice work area for prep.

I have moved my gas grill off the deck for a party and it hasn't been back up since.  If I get the cart, this will take the place of the gas which will now live in the backyard I guess...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • I like it...it's not a custom table, but it does what it needs to.  

One thing, the drawers are 17 3/4 inches, so if you have a large, none of the 18" grates and such fit in the drawers.  I didn't really care, but some might.  

Also, the cover that I got , does not fit perfectly.  It is a little large, but I like that the front is a large velcro flap, so you can open the drawers without taking the whole cover off.

Honestly, for the money, I don't think you can beat it.  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• KiterTodd
    Ahhhhh...I do have a large.  So thank you for that.  
    I guess I'd be putting them in cabinet side on an angle if I get this.   Hmmm, so much for storing lump there.  I will have to measure and see what I could fit in there that I need to put in it...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • I have a box kind of like the suncast above, but its a cube and all plastic.  Perfect size for fitting a bag of lump, platesetter, cast iron grates, extended grates, feet, some smoking woods, and a few other odds and ends, and a bottle or two of tiki fuel.  And its water tight/doesn't need to be covered.
    Pentwater, MI
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Challenger carts are much more expensive, but have weatherproof doors and drawers to keep rain, snow, and dust out. They also have lifetime warranty on the finishes which kinda parallels the egg warranty. They are an investment, but IMHO, worth at least a look for a long term and satisfying solution.
  • Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    edited January 2015
    Lol. I have the exact same problem. I am going nuclear and building a 6 foot high tool cabinet for my back porch. It will house all my BGE stuff along with a few other back yard things.

When done I will post pictures and costs.
    Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

• Big50
    Big50 Posts: 39
    I bought this extra large Suncast deck box for $135 from Home Depot and has been water proof and holds a ton of stuff. I have 80 lbs of lump in it, my bucket head to clean the egg and all my tools. Pretty nice looking and will not have to worry about maintenance since it is plastic.
    Alexandria, KY
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Challenger carts are much more expensive, but have weatherproof doors and drawers to keep rain, snow, and dust out. They also have lifetime warranty on the finishes which kinda parallels the egg warranty. They are an investment, but IMHO, worth at least a look for a long term and satisfying solution.
    A dealer in my area carries them.  They look really nice and seem to be very well made.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • KiterTodd
    Well, after looking around a good bit, measuring my deck, and mulling it over, I decided to get this one from Amazon (also $2 less on Hayneedle), free shipping at both places.

Link HERE.

In my case, I just didn't want another big plastic box around (my wife already buys too many of those things) and I also don't like things that have flat bottoms as they tend to collect water under them and stain the deck.  So, this one sits up off the deck and is just big enough for everything.  Interior dimensions are reported to be 18x46x18.  
    So, the stock grates may have to go in at an angle (mine measure 18") if I don't just keep them on the side of my egg,
    but all the AR  items will fit inside which is key.
    It is reported to be mostly waterproof by people...so, I'll probably keep the Royal Oak in there, but may still keep the RW and Ozark in the garage.  ;)

I think the best storage solution would have been that big ass Suncast one above (large & 100% waterproof) but it would have been a monstrosity on my deck I didn't want to look at.  Although with the wood paneling it was better than most.

So, that's it.  I'll let you know how it works out!

LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    edited January 2015
    Okay, then.  I figured I'd close this out and give you the first report now that I have received and assembled the box.  For my requirements, it fits the bill.   I can fit a grate in it for my large BGE, adjustable rack and all it's pieces, wood, etc.  But even if it was a little tight, I was planning on just resting it in vertically or at an angle.

I put a bag of Fogo in there becasue it is a plastic coated bag.   I think in the summer I could store the paper bags in there.  It seems water proof other than the floor is vented.  So unless I get significant splash up from the ground it should be okay.  If not, the lump can stay in the garage.

Note that if you end up buying this box, by yourself 8 corner braces.  You'll need a set around the rim and a set under the floor to hold it square.   Other than that, it's not bad and it came pre-treated so I didn't have to muck with much other than the braces (it is a crime they sell it without them).  But, it's $180 with free shipping and I didn't find anything else in that range, lest I spend close to a thousand or build my own.   If I built my own I would have gone over the top on materials and procrastinated it for 6 months, so this was a good buy for me...and my marriage. 

Buy a two sets of these!

LBGE/Maryland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Todd, there's no reason you couldn't pick up 4 casters for about $30 at Home Despot and attach them to the 4x4 legs.  
    That's a nice-looking box; unfortunately I just bought a Rubbermaid cart as a half-price "Daily Deal" from Amazon, haven't even assembled it yet.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• KiterTodd
    Botch said:
    Todd, there's no reason you couldn't pick up 4 casters for about $30 at Home Despot and attach them to the 4x4 legs.  
    That's a nice-looking box; ...
    Thanks, that's a good tip.   I think I'm okay with it stationary, but if not I'll consider that option. 
    :-bd
    LBGE/Maryland