Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

some more spares with mayo crust - GREAT!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
I realize there are non-believers here - but not me! 3rd time now is a charm! They were DELICIOUS and gave me a chance to try my new BGE corncob holders. I forget who warned me of the sharpness of those pins, but they are wicked!!! Don't ask me how I know since I was warned! LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Ok Ron...I am going to have to give this a bash...Your ribs do look great..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks - the key is to just smear the mayo on - not cake it on!

• MadcapMagician
    Options
    Would be kind enough to tell us this method.
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • matt121966
    Options
    great photos - how about a recipe or description of what you did.
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • RRP
    Options
    No recipe per see, but the ribs were already wet coming out of the cryovac and I always just drain, but not rinse them. Then hit with coarse kosher salt and DP Raging River rub. I then smeared on a thin layer of Dukes brand mayo and dusted lightly with some more RR. I egged them indirect using my foil covered PS with legs up at 325 to 330. Didn't even use any wood for smoke this time. Started with bone side down, and after 1 hour flipped them and at the end of the second hour I checked the meat between the ribs and got readings of 203 to 208. The crust as I call it vs. thicker bark like on a butt was already there, but I brushed on a light layer of 50/50 Blue's regular and Blue's TN red. Closed my vents and left them for about 5 minutes and brought them in the house. Let them rest for maybe another 5 minutes and chowed down!
  • mickstephen
    Options
    This I will have to try. Mayo + Ribs = WIN!
  • RRP
    Options
    This I will have to try. Mayo + Ribs = WIN!

just like the use of yellow mustard the mayo doesn't seem to impart a taste either, but at least in my mind the mayo oils the outer surface and then the egg ingredient has to do something doesn't it? LOL
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I just made some St. Louis ribs yesterday with a smearing of the mayo .. turned out great with an awesome crust ... SWMBO said it smelled like I used coconut oil .. I told her it is the Dukes Mayo. I had 3 racks ... took almost 3 hrs at 350 to get it completely done.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I am 57 years old and I can always remember my mom putting mayonnaise on chicken, fish and meatloaf and I have been too for years, but it's RRP's post that led me to puting it on Ribs And even Bologna. Hellmans here in Michigan. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Very nice...must try mayo
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Ron those look great! I too tried the mayo trick and enjoyed the cook. I can't tell it changes the taste at all it is like using mustard. I will use again.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Looks great Ron….hmmm…I have been set in my ways lately, and I do use the same rub, but never tried mayo. Your technique and your higher temp indirect cook looks awesome.

Thanks for posting
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I took your word on the mayo burgers, so this is next on my list for ribs!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Great looking ribs
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They sure look great.  You can't argue with that crust! I will try these on my next ribs.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I haven't tried mayo yet. Something tells me I'm missing out. Looks great Ron.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks folks, It works for me, but like I keep saying just smear it on - don't cake it on. In fact if you were smearing it on newspaper you should still be able to read almost every word!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm hungry now. I love mixing BH Regular with the Red as well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:
    I realize there are non-believers here - but not me! 3rd time now is a charm! They were DELICIOUS and gave me a chance to try my new BGE corncob holders. I forget who warned me of the sharpness of those pins, but they are wicked!!! Don't ask me how I know since I was warned! LOL

that was me on the sharpness Ron. I learned the hard way. The exterior, almost crust and sheen, on the ribs is spectacular. Of course that's what we expect from you. Nice job.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Looks great.  Will have to try these.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm in, those ribs look moist and tender. As always Ron, thanks for sharing.
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Inspirational Ron, I gotta try this! 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • dutchie
    dutchie Posts: 17
    Options
    RRP, in your opinion, does starting the ribs bone side down matter? I wonder if the results would be the same using mayo and putting them in a rib rack? I usually cook 4 racks at a time, and find it hard to fit them flat on my grid.

"Oh how lovely cooks the meat"- Frankie Lane

Caledonia, Ontario

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP
    Looks like a winner to me my friend
    =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    dutchie said:
    RRP, in your opinion, does starting the ribs bone side down matter? I wonder if the results would be the same using mayo and putting them in a rib rack? I usually cook 4 racks at a time, and find it hard to fit them flat on my grid.
    Good question - but probably answered better by some one else! I just egg one rack at a time and I cut them in half to start with. That means I have no spacing issue. As for bone side down that's just the way I have always done them! Not too foody-scientific is it? LOL! My guess that standing them sideways I would stand them with the large end of the bones up instead of down for the first hour...but what do I know LOL! Sorry...
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks - the key is to just smear the mayo on - not cake it on!

I've been doing chicken breasts with mayo.  Love them.  Nice ribs Ron.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am 57 years old and I can always remember my mom putting mayonnaise on chicken, fish and meatloaf and I have been too for years, but it's RRP's post that led me to puting it on Ribs And even Bologna. Hellmans here in Michigan. Thanks for the recommendation.

Grillmagic, the bologna looks great. Do you always slice before smoking? I only ask because I haven't smoked bologna before. Thanks.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Nice looking ribs. I'm going to try Dukes on some burgers one of these days.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    Nice looking ribs. I'm going to try Dukes on some burgers one of these days.
    Can someone tell me more about this?  You just put mayo on the outside of the patty before you grill it?
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Ronnie looks good

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI