Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freaking starving, help!

Cooking a 6.35lb butt at 350 degrees right at 7 hours, IT at 174. Wrapped at 160. Egg right now at 390. Can I crank this thing up to get this meat on the table?
Atlanta GA. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Take her on up to 425. I do it all the time with excellent results.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    For the record, I have cooked them at 425 from take off to touch down with great results.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    And I forgot to say, I feel your pain. I'm starving as well.

Status- Standing by.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I wouldn't go above 400. I believe you are above the stall. It should be soon now. Hang in there.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Cube up the butt and braise it for 30 minutes. Should be nice and tender.
  • NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    JHL, why shouldn't I go above 400? What's the downside?
    Atlanta GA. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Once you wrap I will come up to temp quickly, at least it should. I'm surprised it's not done based on the size and temps.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    If you are going for pulled pork you want to the fat to render so it pulls apart easily. It will still taste good but it will more likely be drier on the outside and more chunky on the inside. I'm just guessing you're not far from 190-195 time wise so hang in there if you can.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I only did turbo once. Egg wanted to settle in at about 375-400. I found the meat a bit dried out when I pulled it at 200 or so.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Always better to be done way early with big proteins like butts and brisket. They really benefit from the lengthy rest. I plan for at least 2 hrs early.
  • NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    My IT is now at 183, I'm wondering if I wrapped it correctly. All I did was cover it with a sheet of HD foil. Was that enough?
    Atlanta GA. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2015
    I have never foiled a butt while it was still cooking. If that means a midnight meal (and it has), so be it. Also, I never rest one when its done (unless its done early). No need.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @NoobZero-No eggspert here but when I read "wrap" it means wrap like birthday presents-absent the tape.  Cover with anything to me means "tent".  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Foiling or wrapping is completely covering all sides. You tented which is generally done after pulled off the cooking surface and resting.
    Jacksonville FL