Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Handles

Options
Does anyone know if the handle comes as part of the band assembly or if the metal part inside the handle can be ordered separately?
Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The handle comes with if you buy a new band assembly. I'm sure you can order by itself if you just need a handle. Not sure if you can just order the metal bar that bolts to the band and handle.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    That's what I thought. I could probably just get some measurements of the different sized handles. It would be easier and cheaper! Would you guys be willing to shoot me the measurements off your handles and the metal band widths. I need it for each size Egg. At the risk of getting in trouble I plan to make some turned handles in the future to sell. Not advertising just looking for some data. Maybe I'll give away some fire wires later :D or a Tshirt or two!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My guess is even if yours was an older model meaning the metal portion was a separate bolt on piece that trying to buy it by itself will be next to impossible. OTOH if you have a vise it's not too hard to fabricate one yourself. You looking for the metal piece - right? and NOT the handle.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here for instance is a metal one I made to replace the bale style handle on my old style mini. It was really easy to make. BTW the wooden handles are creations by LawnRanger.
    imageimage
  • GeorgeS
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey Ron, thanks for the shots. I guess what I need is the size of the metal used on the stock grills. Both the length available to fit a handle to it, and the dimensions on the actual steel the handle is mounted to. It may be easier for me to just fabricate the whole thing and have people just unbolt the old handle and bolt on the new one. I may just run over to Dizzy Pig and see if I can get some measurements of the floor units! Love that Lawnranger handle!
  • RRP
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    Hey Ron, thanks for the shots. I guess what I need is the size of the metal used on the stock grills. Both the length available to fit a handle to it, and the dimensions on the actual steel the handle is mounted to. It may be easier for me to just fabricate the whole thing and have people just unbolt the old handle and bolt on the new one. I may just run over to Dizzy Pig and see if I can get some measurements of the floor units! Love that Lawnranger handle!

you're welcome. Now I'm sensing a different twist in where you are going with this. Over the years BGE has changed bands and even the spacing on the holes drilled to bolt the wooden or plastic handles to the metal frames. I would never bet on one size fits all if that is where you are going. As for my mini I made mine using a ruined band from my small egg. I just had to flatten out the curvature and then bend the two 90 degree corners, and then determine the angle needed to match up with the welded pieces previously housing the bale handle. Look closely and you'll see the angle. Since I was just doing my own custom one I made it to fit the way I wanted. As for buying strap steel I suggest you skip galvanized so that it can be painted black. BTW our ACE hardware stores carry strap metal at various widths and thicknesses. I hope this helps, but if nothing else I hope you get my point that one size may not fit all.
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    I may have to make them a little more "custom". I didn't realize they switched up the mount so often.
  • captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Options
    Come on over! I'll be here (with the exception of 2:10-2:45)
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    I will stop in and see you soon Joellen, thanks!
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I'm interested on what you will use for your mounting bands?  as @RRP said about painting vs galvanized vs his scavenged bad from an old set.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Handles (wood with metal) do come with a new band assembly.

Replacement handles can also be bought (wood with metal) part #RHWA (XL-L 2012 or newer/big handle). Newer handles need newer bands to attach.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• GeorgeS
    Options
    Thanks guys for your help. I may have to do these on an order by order basis when I get things going. I will make my mounting bars out of bar stock and more than likely have them powder coated. I have several powder coaters close by. I may just turn the handles and them mount them when I have the info on what type of mount.
  • RRP
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    Thanks guys for your help. I may have to do these on an order by order basis when I get things going. I will make my mounting bars out of bar stock and more than likely have them powder coated. I have several powder coaters close by. I may just turn the handles and them mount them when I have the info on what type of mount.

so all this is leading up to your offering some custom turned handles for sale? Got any pictures of prototypes?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I'm open to a new handle option.
    Seattle, WA
  • GeorgeS
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Not yet, I'm in the process of building out my shop the lathe is behind piles of stuff. I went looking on CL for a band saw and ended up buying an entire wood shop from a guy who was hanging up his hat. My tools are all in storage right now. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @GeorgeS‌, I tried to send you PM, but everytime I go to your profile page, Vanilla signs me out. The forum won't let me sign in from your profile page either. Tried doing it on someone else's profile without problems. Anyway, don't know if you got the info you needed and was going to send you a drawing with measurements. Since I can't send it via PM, I'll post it here. I'm not a mechanical artist, but it might help.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Haha looks like my FIL stuff same brand, he really needs to find a guy like you and unload it.
    He came out the gates blazing with wood working but man has it died down.
    Seattle, WA
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    @RRP‌ what finish is on those handles, btw? There're beautiful. I need to do something with my OEM handle, as well as the shelves I bought with my large. Still haven't put the shelves on. Was wanting to figure out the best way to finish them and the handle before I put them on, to avoid too much fading or sun damage. Can you give me some direction? Yours are the first handles I've seen close up and I really like them.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Have you turned anything before.?
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    So what kind of band saw did you get. I'm guessing a jet
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    I would love another handle option.

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Just zoomed in see it in the back. Looks like a 14 " . 105 " blade ?
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @stemc33‌ Thanks for the drawing!

@UrbanForestTurnings‌ I have just gotten back into wood working. Right now I'm occupied with trying to get the shop cleaned up, organized, wired and plumed for the dust system. I appear to be collecting lots of wood though :-)!

These are my last two turnings. The first one I gradually destroyed learning about catches. The second was a practice after much looking at online videos.

photo 96BEF620-80D9-4EE8-A642-E6617674D510_zps7kj51l5w.jpg

photo 20D10B9B-2FB0-46C2-9DD1-7D0A58371D93_zpsj4spkzip.jpg

Yes bandsaw is a Jet 14" no extension in the neck, yet!
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @UrbanForestTurnings‌ LOL I'm guessing by the screen name that your a turner. What type of turnings do you like to do? Would love to see some of your work.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Love to see them. See if you can find me on face book
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Looks like u got a jet 12" from the picture
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Keep the tools sharp. And take your time. Full face shield. Don't drink and turn. Trust me on that
  • GeorgeS
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I hear you on all of the above! You are correct it is a Jet 1236. I can see that I'm going to want something with more clearance soon though. I found you in facebook right after I posted that. I love that spalted cherry bowl! Beautiful work sir!
  • RRP
    Options
    Keep the tools sharp. And take your time. Full face shield. Don't drink and turn. Trust me on that
    Excellent ideas - one thing that I love is my turner's apron as I call it.  It has a bib that goes clear up to and around my neck and then uses Velcro to secure it behind my head. Even the material itself is slick so the sawdust doesn't stick to it.