Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer can chicken

Options
This is my cook #4. I have two chickens. Both same size and rub. One is brined and one isn't just to see if it helps. I am beer can cooking these slow. We'll see how they turn out.
Austin, TX
BGE-Large, Weber EP-330

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Interested in your findings. Brine for flavor or moisture? BTW @Little Steven‌ will be along to tell you they're upside down. Search inverted chicken for explanation. :D
  • mickstephen
    Options
    Looks good. 

I used to beer can my chickens, but now I spatchcock them all. Less hassle/mess, and (I think) just as flavorful as beer can. You should give it a try next time. 
  • ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    Options
    Interested in your findings. Brine for flavor or moisture? BTW @Little Steven‌ will be along to tell you they're upside down. Search inverted chicken for explanation. :D

Oops my first time. It would be hard to get the can in the top I would think.
    Looks good. 

I used to beer can my chickens, but now I spatchcock them all. Less hassle/mess, and (I think) just as flavorful as beer can. You should give it a try next time. 

I plan on trying that next time.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • ummgood
    Options
    Oh and I will post whether the moisture or flavor is better on one vs the other.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    The wife loves the beer can chicken method.  I do not brine and it comes out great.  Also, I stopped brining the spatchcocked birds and they come out pretty good too.
    Milton, GA.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Need to spatchcock in ...3,2,1
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    In the egg, you don't need the beer can and there are actually food safety reasons not to use one. Check this out

To invert your chicken you need one of these stands. Inverting brings the dark meat unto the hotter air in the dome, keeping the breasts st the cooler grid level in the shadow of the setter. Finish temp of the dark meat should be 10-15º higher than the breasts.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'm in the inverted club or the in a CI skillet club. Both will bring yo excellent results. Not saying beer can won't but no need for the moisture in the can,just a waste a a good consumable beer.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ummgood
    Options
    I lost another temp probe on my igrill. They are horrible. I bought a backup of supposedly better quality and we'll see how it works.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • ummgood
    Options
    In the egg, you don't need the beer can and there are actually food safety reasons not to use one. Check this out

To invert your chicken you need one of these stands. Inverting brings the dark meat unto the hotter air in the dome, keeping the breasts st the cooler grid level in the shadow of the setter. Finish temp of the dark meat should be 10-15º higher than the breasts.  

Wow I never thought of it like that before. I haven't tried bcc until now. I will try the spatchcock next.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • mickstephen
    Options
    ummgood said:
    I lost another temp probe on my igrill. They are horrible. I bought a backup of supposedly better quality and we'll see how it works.
    I've got the iGrill as well, and the probes are utter crap. What did you get for a backup?
  • ummgood
    Options
    Just another igrill probe but the new style that supposedly has the issues fixed. I got it a couple weeks ago. I will let you know how it holds up.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • ummgood
    Options
    Just pulled them...
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • ummgood
    Options
    Here is a photo of it cut up. I basically shredded them because they are for my lunches. Anyway I cut a small piece of chicken from the breast and thigh from the same spot on both chickens. I them had my wife blind taste test the chickens. The brined chicken one. They both were amazingly moist. We both thought the brined chicken was more savory. That said both chickens were easily the best chickens I have ever cooked.
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Thanks for the post
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    ummgood said:
    Here is a photo of it cut up. I basically shredded them because they are for my lunches. Anyway I cut a small piece of chicken from the breast and thigh from the same spot on both chickens. I them had my wife blind taste test the chickens. The brined chicken one. They both were amazingly moist. We both thought the brined chicken was more savory. That said both chickens were easily the best chickens I have ever cooked.
    And that is all that counts! Great cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    I use a stand and not a can when I do mine, the wife loves them.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va