Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Those WooDoggies Mushrooms

JimboBQ
JimboBQ Posts: 197
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I keep seeing eye popping pics of these mushrooms on the forum. I've never seen mushrooms like those in any stores here in SC. Just what kind of 'shrooms are those, anyway? I'd love to try to do some of those up![p]Thanks,[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...

Comments

• JimboBQ,
    they are call "oyster mushrooms", and they are to die for... . i've found them here in northern virginia at harris teeter. . .. woodoggies actually lives a couple of miles from a big mushroom grower up in maryland... you wouldn't believe how beautiful the fresh ones gets are. ...i'm sure he can give you the name/address of the grower who i believe ships all over the country. .. .[p]with a brush of olive oil and a shake of dizzy raging river, they are just fantastic. . ..

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Yo Maxaroo
    He gets them from a place called Phillips. They are always a treat if you can get the slacker to cook them ;-)[p]Belly good with toos nami as well. They don't age well, so getting them direct from the grower is the way to go. Wegmans down the street has them, and sometimes they are fresh....sometimes not. We are pretty much fully dependent on Woo for the good stuff.
    Cheers mang
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Harry's, The fresh market and kroger all carry them here, although they don't hold a candle to the ones you've already seen...[p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    Gentlemen-- Never heard of them. How big? Sauted(sp?) on the stove or grilled on the egg? Sliced or cooked whole?

• Ironbaugh,[p]drizzled / brushed with olive oil and covered with raging river, cook direct with the bottom of the mushroom facing down at around 350 (that's how we do them anyway) until the edges are crispy. I hate nearly all plants and I LOVE these things. I can't imagine how much I'd like the freshly grown woo-doggy connected ones.[p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    JimboBQ,
    oil spice grill and eat quickly, they are best when still hot. havent seen them latly, but they were available all last summer up here. good stuff

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0394.jpg
    <p />Ironbaugh,
    here's a picture of a cluster of them. BTW don't you have a Schnuck's down in Cape? That's the store that carries them up here in Peoria. I pay $4.99 a pound.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    WaldorfEggfest2005139.jpg
    <p />JimboBQ,[p]Here's a Large... full of 'dem WooDoggies fresh'ns![p]Like Fishlessman said...[p]a brush of good Olive oil and a shake of your favorite rub, (insert any Dizzy Pig Product here...although Raging river is great in my book) and grill'em up hot and quick.[p]If you look closely....in the bottom cormer of the pic...you'll see those tongs,held in the hand of the "Master Mushroom Grillerator" himself!![p]
    Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!