Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For onion lovers

Options

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I dont know why but that sounds good.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @revolver1-thanks for the link.  Big fan of onions so will have to give it a shot once I sort out how to adapt it to the BGE :)  (However I may have to skip the whisky piece-seems like a waste of good spirits).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    lousubcap said:

@revolver1-thanks for the link.  Big fan of onions so will have to give it a shot once I sort out how to adapt it to the BGE :)  (However I may have to skip the whisky piece-seems like a waste of good spirits).

Careful with the recipe adaptation, I hear those black and red ones cook completely different than the green ones. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    This is a great recipe. We've used smaller white onions and shortened the cook to <90 minutes. Cheese is something really makes this, choose your favourite, we like provolone. 

Thanks for reminding about this, good link. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    That looks good...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Must try these. Bookmarked. Thanks.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I've been wrapping salt and peppered onions in foil with butter, and just putting them on an hour before the steaks to soften up, caramelize the bottoms.

This looks much, much better.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    That looks good!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    A few years ago, I bought a bottle of onion sauce/juice/extract/whatever.

I really liked it.  Don't remember where I got it.  Can't seem to find it with Google.

It was a little spicy, but not too much, kinda light brown color as in it was transparent, not dark like soy or Worcestershire, more like the color of fish sauce.  I thought it was excellent on steaks and pork chops, nice flavor that didn't over-power the taste of the meat.

Anyone ever hear of such a thing?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sounds good. Will try, but without the bacon. Love grilled onions! Thanks for posting!

You know, it's funny though... I think nothing of a 12-18 hour butt cook. But two hours for an onion seems like an eternity!!! At least twice as long as a spatch'd chicken! Bet it'll taste great though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• calracefan
    Options

How hot would an inch open on a Kamado Joe be ? on my egg an inch is going to be rockin !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I've cooked whole onions like this many times as a side dish. I skip the well and basting and just give the onion top a good dusting of rub and add the cheese before removing from the grill after it's browned. May have to try the basting though

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    There once was a good recipe on here for stuffed vidallia onions. Everyone loved them and I haven't been able to get them here in Texas since. I would think sweet yellow onions would be best.
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I love grilled onions, definitely going to give these a try. Thanks for posting!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Going to have to give that a try.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    Some great recipes and cooking videos from John Setzler, I can only imagine how good these smell in the cook?
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Thanks for the video.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    brimee said:
    There once was a good recipe on here for stuffed vidallia onions. Everyone loved them and I haven't been able to get them here in Texas since. I would think sweet yellow onions would be best.
    You have the next best thing with Texas sweets..

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Don't forget Walla Walla sweets.
    Double yum!!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    Saw this thread today.

Making these tomorrow.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    This is awesome! Totally my speed. Thanks for posting.
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    I was not impressed with the Reds I used. Expected more, will try again.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

Don't forget Walla Walla sweets.

Double yum!!
    Oh yea wallas are yummmy

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I think it would be better with yellow or vidalia, as they are a softer onion than reds.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I think it would be better with yellow or vidalia, as they are a softer onion than reds.
    Agreed. I will try them with Vidalia's when I get the chance.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Today is the day we try this. Thanks for posting. :-c
    Large, small, and a mini
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I made these last night, 275f indirect, took four hours to get the bacon 75% cooked.

Maybe it was too cold, basting the onions every 40 minutes or so exposed them to temps in the teens. I didn't use a drip pan, just set them in a square iron pan with some peppers and the last hour, some stuffed mushrooms along with the leftover onion bits from prep that I tossed in the basting juice. Subbed what's this here sauce for whiskey.

They were just OK.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.