Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home Made Vanilla Extract

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited January 2015 in Off Topic

A year or so back, VI (Gary) posted a thread about making vanilla extract. I made a batch with Madagascar vanilla beans and it has a much different taste than a store vanilla or pre-made Mexico vanilla. It got me wanting to try different regional beans and see how different they are.

If you've never made vanilla extract, it's very easy. I make mine with vodka only (store bought is mostly water). I bought 1/4 lb of each bean (25 beans) from Madagascar, Tahitian and Mexico. I read that Mexico vanilla was so popular that it was easier to make something close and sell it as Mexico vanilla. I'm not sure if this is true but my Mexico beans were the most expensive.

To make, I remove 4 oz vodka from each bottle, slice each bean length-wise and leaving 1/2" on each end uncut to hold bean together. Put 25 beans into bottle and shake 1 or 2 times a week for 2 months (4 months for more flavor). I then dump into a plastic bottle, hold a coffee filter over the end of the bottle and squeeze the extract thru the filter and put into a dark colored glass bottle for use. From there, have another new bottle of vodka and put old beans and vanilla specs caught in filter into the new bottle for a second batch or throw the beans into a sugar container for vanilla sugar.

Here are my three batches.

imageimageimage

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    The VI recipe calls for 6 beans for a 750 ml bottle. Is there a reason you went 4 times the beans?
  • bigguy136
    Options

My original batch was the 6 beans per bottle but the more I read, I found most others are saying to add more. This is why I'm remaking my Madagascar batch.

Here is what I see at most sites for making vanilla:

5 beans per 8 ounces alcohol.
    This ratio is based on the FDA requirement for commercial production of single-fold vanilla extract. This ratio is the most important aspect of making homemade vanilla.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    A fun project, but what will you do with that much extract? I go thru no more than 2-3 teaspoons in a whole year!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bigguy136
    Options

I have a bad cinnamon roll habit that consumes a fair amount :D

I will give away some but there is no shelf life so I should be good for life.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Cool project. I don't I've ever seen a vanilla bean.
  • Learning to Smoke
    Learning to Smoke Posts: 87
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I made some this year. Started in Sept and gave as Christmas presents to my friends who bake a lot. I did the same as bigguy. I used the same Tahitian bean grown in New Guinea (having grown up there I thought I'd try them :D ). After a couple of weeks the aroma and color were awesome. After 3 months, it was incredible. I used for my own Christmas baking and everything came out great. Hadn't thought about reusing the beans with another bottle of vodka. I'll have to try that out.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    For a slightly different taste, try making with Jack Daniels.  I use the smaller 200 ml bottle, with 5 vanilla beans.  The Mrs. likes this better than the vodka one.
    Options
    My extract is all done. Here they are after 2 months. I will be doing a 2nd batch with the same beans.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options
    Sorry about the sideways image. I can't post from my computer (with my photo editor to rotate images) with the new forum and had to post from my phone. Just lean to your left, cover your right eye and blink a lot. Should look good...

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    About 27 years ago we went to Bora Bora and we brought back some vanilla beans and put in the sugar container. They are still in there. VI gave me several bottles of the best extract I have ever had. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Where did you buy the beans from?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I still have a bottle of Gary's vanilla extract.  Good stuff.
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    For a slightly different taste, try making with Jack Daniels.  I use the smaller 200 ml bottle, with 5 vanilla beans.  The Mrs. likes this better than the vodka one.
    Tj knows what he is talking about, his extract is excellent. He shared a bottle with me during a rub/sauce exchange a couple of years ago. Got me interested in making extract.
    The best ratio I've found is at least 8-10 beans (about 7" long) for every 500ml of spirit. Dark rum works nicely too, and it makes great whipped cream. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    So, at the same time you are making vanilla extract, you are also making vanilla-infused vodka.  That could be used in numerous cocktails; https://www.pinterest.com/explore/vanilla-vodka-drinks/

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • bigguy136
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    Where did you buy the beans from?
    I ordered from Amazon. I found most of the bad reviews of mold on the beans were posted in June thru August. I don't know if it was the temps or timing. I placed 2 orders and both in Nov/ Dec and the beans were excellent. The beans also have a 2 year shelf life if stored properly. If you are ordering beans for only extract, save some money and look for "B" grade beans. They are a lighter color and more dry. The "A" grade are a very moist bean more suited for other baking needs.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited March 2015
    Options
    J.S.Y.K. Vanilla beans come from a type of orchid.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!