Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sanding re-stain table??

Options
My table is around 2-3 years old and has been outside the last 1.5 years. It looks awful. In the process of moving and have taken everything off of it. It's made out of 2x4 studs and the tops are PT decking. It is stained and sealed. The wheel bases weren't stained and are almost rotted completely. What do yall think I should do? Can I sand it? Chemically strip it? Or pitch it and make something new at my new place.

photo 946CF6E9-EBFA-4CCA-B0ED-261517411BC5.gif

XLBGE 

Comments

• Boss429
    Options
    Is there is anything you would have liked to have different but was to small to warrant a new table? If so, seems like the perfect opportunity.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    @Henapple is the expert on refinishing. He would be able to tell you exactly what and how to finish it. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    It didn't cost much to build so I don't mind parting with it, but there really isn't anything else I'd like in a table. My new porch will be covered so it will be better taken care of. I didn't know about sanding the pressure treated wood and the stain. If it was safe or not.

XLBGE 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    No expert here but I'd pressure wash it with lots of bleach first to kill the mold. Then yeah sand and restain.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    It didn't cost much to build so I don't mind parting with it, but there really isn't anything else I'd like in a table. My new porch will be covered so it will be better taken care of. I didn't know about sanding the pressure treated wood and the stain. If it was safe or not.

Since you asked I assume you meant it. Personally with the combination of untreated studs and pressure treated parts, plus the condition of the lower sections if it was me I would rather take the time to build a new one, rather than the "pita" of replacing some, sanding the rest and then re-staining. Especially since your new location will have protection from the elements. BTW yes sanding pt wood has some issues and you should wear a mask. As for chemical stripping or a dipping service I think that would cost you more than the wood is worth. I hope you aren't offended, but you did ask for opinions!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    Oh I forgot to ask - how did you get a slide show from PhotoBucket to post here? I've never been able to do that on this forum! TIA
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    You would be surprised at what a good sanding will do.  The base 2x4's look like they should be replaced though.  I recommend that you sand/finish all pieces on every side. This will prevent warping. You may want to consider going with a different wood though such as cedar or white oak.  

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you have a pressure washer and an orbital sander it wouldn't be too bad to redo. If not start over. Mine looked about the same as yours but it is red cedar so the wood is still in great shape and after about a half hour of pressure washing it looks way better.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Thanks guys. @RRP‌ I wanted the truth! @Lit‌ I'm give it a good pressure wash with bleach and see what happens. If anything I can save the casters. They were expensive!!! I don't really want anything different from the table, but we might do more after we get settled like a different style patio.

@RRP‌ it's in the newest photobucket app. Called GIF maker. It's kinda fishy but it works every now and then. I just tried to make one to show you the steps but it was cropped wierd. Then you just use the same HTML link to put it on the post

XLBGE 
  • RRP
    Options
     @RRP‌ it's in the newest photobucket app. Called GIF maker. It's kinda fishy but it works every now and then. I just tried to make one to show you the steps but it was cropped wierd. Then you just use the same HTML link to put it on the post
    Thanks - I'll have to try again as I really miss posting some slide shows which I think can be more helpful than just  wordy verbiage!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    A few questions. ..
    Are you emotionally attached
    Are you financially attached
    How much are you willing to invest in a new one
    Do you want a new one

Bleach and pressure wash but keep the washer at a safe distance or it'll eat the wood up. It can be sanded after it dries.

If you have 2 cases of PBR I'll head east and help you out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    How close are you to being settled in at your new digs? If not too long, then wait until you are situated and build a new table to fit your new space and needs. If its going to be a while , then it may be worth it to refinish it. And like @RRP said, a mask would be a good idea. PT wood has arsenic in it right? Refinishing your table won't kill you, and it took a fair bit of arsenic to kill Napolean, but why chance it?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Depends on the age of the PT.  Arsenic was stopped in residential applications several years back.  Most of the time it is a micronized copper preservative used now.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• PoshPatios
    Options
    As stated, a good sanding and replacing a few pieces here and there would be all the TLC this table needs. I'd say, get some Penofin and oil it up (make sure to wipe off the oil after 30 minutes to prevent coagualtion) and BOOM... done. It's still a good table.
    What is this? A center for ants!?
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I brought it with me to give it a good clean up and see what happens.

XLBGE 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Thats why I'm getting a stainless steel table made.