Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket

Happy New Year All!!!!.....well....after reading all the posts about briskets I decided to do one....went to the RD and got a 11lb packer....trimmed it up a little...got the Egg steady at 250 with my Stoker and let it rip....I put it on at 11:00 last night and just pulled it...the IT was 190....looks ok....letting it rest and will cut it about game time at 1:30.....it was a lot of fun....hoping it turned out ok....I have pics of the start and finish...will post more once I cut into it.....being in the forum really encourages you to try stuff....appreciate all info I get from all of you...its great!!!!

Comments

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Right on man! Doing my RD 9 lb er later today/tonight. Congrats, looks like a good meateorite.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    edited January 2015
    Thanks!!...I was pretty excited when I saw it this morning....was relieved it looked like the briskets I had seen here in the forum....can't wait to taste it...hoping it is juicy.....and for those who want to know about the RD it was great....all types of packer briskets there....if this one turns out ok going to get the next one up....this was $3.49lb...they had a nice one for $4.10lb...but I wanted to do one first before going higher in price
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    That's gonna be tasty. Looks like you nailed it.
  • anton
    You will be pleasantly surprised at the $4.10 a lb Choice packers, the selects are okay, I have one too, they were out of choices the last time I was there. Definitely get the choice next time, better marbling, more tender cut.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Tak said:
    ... being in the forum really encourages you to try stuff ...
    Encourage might be too weak of a word ... goad, spur, instigate come to mind ... or my favorite "egg on."

Looks good so far ... can't wait for you to undress it.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Tak
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for the advice on the brisket....I will definitely go with the choice next time...didn't want to ruin a $45.00 piece of meat...LOL...wifey wouldn't be to happy....but will get the choice for sure next time....Jeepster...your right on the money with that....reading some the posts and seeing the successes really does push you to try and cook stuff....the first thing my wife asked me this morning was are we having a party I don't know about?...she smelled the brisket and then saw it when I took it off the grill...LOL...I said nope....just practicing for the the summer....LOL
  • anton
    Practice makes perfect, yes I practiced on some small flat briskets at first, they are a challenge to get tender, the full packers are easier, and have more fat content. Enjoy!
    :-bd
  • This one looks really good. You will have a much better shot at consistantly good results if you use better grade briskets. I never hear anyone say they bought select ribeyes because they didn't want to ruin a good one :).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Let's see those slices [-O<
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • Tak
    Well...here it is...sliced up....Family loved it!!....really happy how it turned out.....good taste...passed the bend test.....can't wait to do another one with a select packer brisket....appreciate all the encouragement, advice and wisdom you get from the good folks on this forum....good eats everyone!!!!
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks good. Mine has been on 16 hours and doesn't quite have the bark developed yet.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Yep, does look good.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max