Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium Stone from CGS

Is the medium 10'? Isn't that the same as the small? Just seems Iike it would leave too large of hot spots , if so. Any experience. My medium PS just broke and looking at other options.
Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Based upon my platesetter I'm getting a 10" drip pan, so I think a 10" stone would work fine for the medium with a Woo..  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    That IS the only size for a medium, a 10". Reason is the grid is only 15", leaving 5 inches, divide that in half and you have a 2-1/2" gap around the perimeter that allows airflow, I tried jamming a 13" pizza stone in one time for an indirect replacement, it fit, but the airflow was terrible, and I went back to the 10". Mediums are the least accessorized egg, due to it being an unpopular size.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    anton said:
    That IS the only size for a medium, a 10". Reason is the grid is only 15", leaving 5 inches, divide that in half and you have a 2-1/2" gap around the perimeter that allows airflow, I tried jamming a 13" pizza stone in one time for an indirect replacement, it fit, but the airflow was terrible, and I went back to the 10". Mediums are the least accessorized egg, due to it being an unpopular size.
    But we love them just the same, eh?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    @Skiddymarker  
    Absolutely, still love my medium green headed stepchild!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    The medium rocks!  Pairs great with an XL.  Seems like it would be a good second egg for someone with a Large too.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited January 2015
    Good question.  Maybe this helps.  

The inside diameter of the medium fire ring is slightly larger than 12 inches.  On the medium woo ring, the stone (10" or 12" ) sits 1/2 inch above the fire ring.  The 10 inch stone provides more open area out of the fire ring than the 12 inch stone.  More area means better airflow out of the fire ring.  On the stone, we recommend the 12 inch stainless drip pan to increase coverage under the grid.  The 12 inch stainless drip pan is tapered and sits on the 10" stone.  The bottom of the drip pan is over 1 inch above the fire ring.  At this height, the inside shell of the medium egg is more in play than the fire ring as the outer barrier.  One can foil the pan outward and upward to increase drip coverage under the 15+ inch grid.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I have the Woo with a 10" stone and a 12" drip pan from CGS. Works well albeit I haven't done any long low and slows.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    I've been trying to decide what to put on my wish list. I have a LBGE with a plate setter. I also have a pizza stone. So for AR you recommend the oval stone? Sounds like I could skip the round stone.
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Yes on the oval @Froman‌
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup