Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My big green Christmas miracle...

First time caller, long time griller...

After burning through my 4th rusty metal grill or smoker in as many years, my family decided it was time to get me a Big Green Egg. (which is really a nice way of saying my dad had too much to drink at an auction back in the fall and BAM! Large Big Green Egg for me)  Either way, on Christmas morning that bad boy was all mine. After a quick run to Lowe's and a negotiation with the manager I loaded up all the bed of my truck with a flat of lump and it was game on.

I fired it up once on the 26th just to learn how to manipulate the temp and holy crap this thing is impressive. It'll jump from 750 to a steady 400 in less than 30 minutes, it'll smoke at 200 forever, it smokes, it grills, it makes pizzas, I may not ever cook inside again.  (Sidenote...a grill for Christmas is kind of a prick gift...I may die of pneumonia before spring) In the past week I have done a beef tenderloin, pork tenderloin, spatchcock chicken...I've got ribs prepped for tonight and a beef tenderloin for Saturday and pizzas on Sunday. I've had to call half the neighborhood to help dispose of all the food but this is by far and away the best grill I have ever used. (calling it a grill seems like an insult)

Anyways, since I'll be sitting outside freezing for the next few hours, just wanted to see if anyone had any egg tips. My biggest concern right now is storage, I live in the south where it is always wet, humid, etc. I am trying to figure out if I should build a canopy, continue storing in the garage (which kinda sucks and I get a little nervous with it on that flimsy metal frame and those casters, I have 2 100 lb curious labs) or just get the ridiculously priced cover.

Any other newbie tips for entering the ceramic world are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Welcome to the madness, sounds like you have already jumped in head first. I think if you have a place that you would see yourself cooking on a more permanent basis as opposed to wheeling it in and out of the garage all the time I'd look into building a table and canopy/shelter of some sort. Hopefully if you are sharing all this food with the neighbors at least one or two off them would be willing to help. With the right people helping a solid table is easily a weekend project until the staining/sealing process.

Whatever you decide to do just do what you think will make your experience more enjoyable. Congrats again on the new acquisition.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • No need to cove in my opinion.  Lot of folks here don't bother, myself included.  I will add living in a humid climate, if you are ever not going to be using the egg for a week or more (vacation or what not) open the bottom vent and take the cap off if its under cover to promote airflow, otherwise you might find yourself having to do a clean burn when you get back to nuke some mold growth.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I have a cover for my egg and rarely use it.  It doesn't seem to mind.  That makes it more attractive in my book.  When I take the food off and take it in the house, I just collect my grill utensils, etc and shut down the vents and I don't have to remember to come back out to clean or cover it. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Welcome to the madness.

if you continue to move it, just make sure to PULL don't push. I leave mine outside uncovered all the time. I too am in the south. People in Canada post pics of their eggs covered in snow. It sounds like you're cooking enough to prevent any mold.

tip#2. Pics or it didn't happen. :D post your cooks here for all to enjoy. Sure your family will look at you funny for taking photos of a plate of food, but they get over it pretty quick.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Welcome to eggdom. As stated above maybe a table or outdoor kitchen is in your future. If not you can build a better cart for it with some jumbo casters. Lots of ideas out there for table and we will all be here if you have any questions about a build. Some people have retro fitted a stainless cart or you can buy a stainless cart specifically designed for the egg ($$$). Again, congrats and don't forget the pics.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Welcome!  If you have a nest and plan on moving the egg around, think about handlers for stability and safety.  BGE sells them for this very purpose.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    edited January 2015
    Welcome!  I'm a newer owner myself and love it!  My wife is also very appreciative of the wonderful food that comes off the egg.

I'm in Iowa and fired it up after work this week on a 10 degree day to grill some burgers.  This is my first winter with it and I wanted to see how easily it could get up to 450-500 degrees.  My buddies were making fun of me for grilling in the cold...but I wanted to test it out.  And brag :)  I've tried to grill burgers on my gas grill in the cold in the past and it has never been able to get hot enough.

Worked great!  Egg got too hot and I had to turn it down.  Then while we were eating my wife challenged me to bake something.  So I found a recipe for little peanut butter cakes on the forum.  They were ok, I cooked them too long and dried them out.  I've never been a good baker, but I'll have to try again.

Sunday is supposed to be a high of 9...I think I'll try out a slow cook on a chuck roast.
  • I see Brentwood in your signature line....  I am assuming Tennessee? 

I am in Atlanta and mine has been uncovered since she was brought home from the festival there I got her.  She doesn't complain.

I would not do a cover, especially here in the South..... think of all the lovely wasps / hornets that'd love to snuggle in a nice dark and arm cover; waiting on pins and needles to sting the holy &^@# out of you when you take the cover off!!!  (speaking from experience....)

If the nest is too unstable for your taste, get some simple 2x4's and make a box to contain the casters from creeping.  I'm considering removing my wheels altogether and bolting it to the concrete pad that's my current Egg-Space.  No dogs here, just some crappy neighbors....!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    To clarify the canopy/shelter suggestion was more for you then the egg. It's nice to sit by the egg in bad weather enjoying a cocktail or beverage of choice while neighbors stare at you thinking you are nuts. The egg itself operates pretty well in all weather once the coals are going.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Yes. Shelter is for me (and to keep the hackberry tree and cedar from dripping nastiness all over it) I am in a temporary situation so i don't want to go all out on my outdoor kitchen til we get to our permanent place in about a year. Pics of food to come. Pork loin is on and ribs are almost done braising.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• I see Brentwood in your signature line....  I am assuming Tennessee? 

Yeah, Tennessee. I was stationed in Colorado for a few years...I could tell you some stories about bad neighbors!

South of Nashville, TN

• Happy egging man. I'm impressed you bought a flat of lump! Go to firecraft.con when you burn through that stuff and try some Rockwood!
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Quick sear and dropping temp. Pics of ribs to come. Marinaded in peanut butter, orange juice, coriander, red pepper flakes, cumin, lime juice, soy sauce and cilantro.

South of Nashville, TN

• Happy egging man. I'm impressed you bought a flat of lump! Go to firecraft.con when you burn through that stuff and try some Rockwood!

I got that whole flat of lump for 40% off cause it looked like Doomsday on the grill aisle the day after Christmas. The forklift guy must have dropped the pallet. I was walking through Lowes with a shopping cart throwing lumps in it like Bob Cratchit. I will check out a couple different brands when I burn through this.

South of Nashville, TN

• Caramelize the the bbq sauce aaaaand done.

South of Nashville, TN

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    My biggest piece of advice is to stay rather active on this here forum. Good stuff to glean.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Welcome!  If you have a nest and plan on moving the egg around, think about handlers for stability and safety.  BGE sells them for this very purpose.

Don't pay much attention to Fred he's from flint. Didn't know when to get out :D really he's a great guy. Can be a character at times