Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High temp burns

Options
A quick question, I have done two cooks on my new egg, the dealer said don't do high temp cooks,for,a bit. After how many cooks can I bring this bad boy up to a high temp burn and not risk damaging the BGE?
1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    You can't damage the egg. Only the gasket gets damaged with high heat. I wouldn't worry about it. Fire away!
    Flint, Michigan
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I did 3 cooks under 400, then did a pizza cook at about 650. Everything is still like new a year and 158 cooks later.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    One thing to remember if you decide down the road to do a nuke burn to clean the egg.... Take the dome thermo out..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • BeerNBBQ
    Options
    One thing to remember if you decide down the road to do a nuke burn to clean the egg.... Take the dome thermo out..
    That's probably won't destroyed mine.. duh
    Braselton, GA.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Eventually the gasket will probably fail (maybe now, maybe a year from now). When that happens look up @RRP and install a Rutland. Best Egg mod I've ever done!

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • MadcapMagician
    Options

Thanks for that important tip.
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options

I've had my medium a year.  A few days ago I loaded it up with charcoal to cook a butt, lit it in 2 or 3 spots with my torch and went inside to finish prepping food.  When I came out to check it, it showed only 200.  Had to be hotter than that.  I peeked down into the top vent and it was full of red lump and blue flames dancing around.  Was lucky I didn't scorch my face.  I though my thermometer had failed or there was some sort of weird air current problem inside so I closed the bottom vent half way.  The temp immediately started going down and back around ccw.  I don't know what 200  the second time around equates to, but it sure was hot and it got there pretty quick.

I haven't checked my gasket, but haven't noticed any leaks.  From another thread, I guess I need to check my band tensions also.  If you do a hot burn, you may want to check them afterwards.  Seems a few have had issues with the dome getting loose, even falling off, not a good situation. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @FarmerTom‌ tommy, I calibrate that thermo too.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I think going nuclear has the potential to damage your egg (e.g. Crack). Why do it?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Kiln temps for ceramics is 1350C or 2450ish F. The heat won't do it, the wild swings....maybe
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    My hi-temp burn was entirely unintentional.  Never dreamed it could get that hot that quick.  Was expecting it to be in the 300 - 400 range. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies