Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking frozen butt (???)

Hello All,
I have a frozen boneless but in the freezer and I'd like to make pulled pork for tomorrow afternoon. What's my best plan of attack here?

My first plan of attack is always to thaw at room temp then cool low and slow, but I may not have time for that here. Is it okay to start with a partially frozen butt if I can thaw it enough to get a good rub on it? Should I allocate extra thaw time then shoot for more of a turbo cook? Any advice or experiences are greatly appreciated!

Cheers -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    edited December 2014
    Did a little digging and found a thread titled:

"Frozen Butt Low and Slow - Retro Style"

Which seems to mostly answer my question. I think I'll leave it to thaw at room temp until this afternoon then put it on low and slow over night. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Cheers all -

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    edited December 2014
  • Thanks @Eggpharmer, I REALLY like the idea of rubbing before freezing. I'll definitely remember that for the next two pack!

Cheers -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • I did a frozen butt once. internal temp was in the 20's when I placed the temp probe. Rubbed and tossed on 250-ish grid for a long time!

It came out as one of the best butts I ever made!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Just get it on about three or four hours early. Great way to do them honestly.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Just got the fire lit and the butt all rubbed down. Going with a mix of Bad Byrons and DP Red Eye for this one. I've used this blend successfully on beef, but never tried it on pork, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The toughest thing I've found so far about Egging in these sorts of VERY cold temps (we're in the single digits today...) is adjusting the draft door to get temp set correctly. The channel that the oor slides in keeps filling up with ice and then I have to dump hot water on it to get it to budge. Of course that means there's water in the channel, dooming me to repeat the process if I want to move the door again at all...

One nice thing about putting it on frozen/early is that I'm doing all of this in the full light of day instead of trying to get everything just the way I like it using my trusty head lamp. Trusting everything works out and we get a nice pull at the end I'll be doing this more and more in the future.

Wish me luck -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Suggest you try using a heat gun, looflighter or torch to melt the ice and dry out your draft door and channels. Don't worry dude, you'll nail the cook.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Black_Badger
    Thanks @XC242, that's a really good (and helpful) suggestion!

She's on and rolling at 250 now. I'd really like to drop to about 225, but my XL has never liked settling in below 250 or so and I definitely don't want it to die in the night...

Middleton, WI
  • Black_Badger
    Hello All,
    Well, I have to say in the end this was a GREAT way to make some pulled pork!

I let it go at just about 250 from 6pm until ~7 the following morning. At that time i opened things up a bit and goosed the temp up to ~300. At ~10 I decided to open her up and take the first look, and was greeted with a beautiful looking bark, an empty drip pan (empty of water anyway...), and an internal temp of ~145. I left the probe in at this point and gave the butt the first of two mops with a mixture of 1/3 apple cider, 1/3 AC vinegar, and 1/3 store bought BBQ sauce, spiked with just a bit of Franks Red Hot. By Outback bowl kick off time it was at ~160 and I'd decided to apply the second coat of mop sauce and to employ the ol' Texas crutch. I put on a nice tight double wrap of foil, plunged the probe in and opened the XL up to ~350. The pork sailed right through the stall and by the end of the 3rd I was pulling off a nice hunk of 194 degree pork. We were all pretty excited to get to it, so I let her cool down outside for ~ 10 min then went straight to pulling. The texture was great and the bark had not softened too much. I mixed in all the drippings that were caught in the foil, along with all off the remaining mop and the results were excellent!

We had plenty of beer, appetizers, and other stuff, and I also made a DP Pineapple Head upside down cake mostly in the oven (pineapple slices were smoked for ~1hr prior to building cake). Plus the Badgers pulled out an overtime win and showed yet again that Melvin Gordon is hands down the best RB in college football!

All things considered it was a great day and an amazing way to kick off 2015! In the future I will plan to rub half of the boneless 2-packs from Costco then vacuum seal and cook directly from the freezer, because results were great!

Cheers all -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Looks very good!  Congratulations on the cook!

Keep playing with your style.  I've done something recently that I really liked.  I left the mustard out and used EVOO instead.  Did the rub as usual on the frozen-ish butt and tossed her on the egg at 300-350, turbo-style.

After it was to my temp, I'm a 202 guy, I let it rest FTC for about 2 hours then pulled it.  Then I sprinkled a little more of the rub on the freshly pulled meat.

The wife and kids could only make grunting noises while at the table and were running back to the kitchen for seconds.....

Egg on, my friend.  Egg on!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Did a little digging and found a thread titled:

"Frozen Butt Low and Slow - Retro Style"

Which seems to mostly answer my question. I think I'll leave it to thaw at room temp until this afternoon then put it on low and slow over night. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Cheers all -

B_B

Is that my thread? Keeping it simple works very well for me when it comes to butts...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Black_Badger
    Hey @MaskedMarvel, I do believe that is a thread of yours; and I fully agree K.I.S.S. is a good strategy for such a flavorful and forgiving cut.

@DaveRichardson, yeah that's a good way to go. I tried mustard but eventually ditched it and I like the bark I get from a nice salty rub without any additional oil or 'slather' I almost always add a little rub and a little AC vinegar after pulling, but using the mop sauce this time was ACES!

Cheers -
    B_B

Middleton, WI