Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help identifying and cooking this brisket

Options
What part of the brisket is shown in the pictures? Why is it so small (3.65lbs)? Approximate cook times? Do I need to cut off the green fat(I leave it on the steaks)? Basically, I'm looking for any information and cooking advice on this piece of meat? @SGH‌ any ideas?

imageimageimageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I would guess point with a small bit of flat on it. I bet if you post some unwrapped pics as well an expert will be along shortly.
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    The price is right no matter what cut it is but it looks like a flat
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Walt2015 said:
    The price is right no matter what cut it is but it looks like a flat

I actually paid like $18 or $20 for it. I think the rancher has to put that sticker on he package because of USDA guidelines. Zero dollars would be nice though.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Brisket flat.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• stemc33
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    I would guess point with a small bit of flat on it. I bet if you post some unwrapped pics as well an expert will be along shortly.

I thought about unwrapping it, but I'm not sure if I'm cooking it tomorrow or the next day. I was hoping the brisket gurus would know what I'm dealing with. I'm not sure if it really matters what part it is, just trying to get any advice I can. I've done one brisket and it was the whole thing. It came out nice thanks to all the advice from the forum.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER‌, any approximate times and do I need to cut off the green fat?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm not a brisket guru but with the fat locations I'd say you have a point.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes, trim the fat off the top and leave whatever you have on the bottom.  Looks like you don't have a seal on the cryopack...so I would cook soon. Make sure it smells clean.

A brisket flat is one of the most difficult cuts to cook and have it turn out tender.   Cooking time at 225° should be about 4-5 hours? I would foil about halfway through after 3 hours, and take it to 200° IT. Rest for an hour and slice against the grain.   

Don't beat yourself up if it comes out tough, buy yourself a full packer for best results. JMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• stemc33
    Options
    Thanks at @SMITTYtheSMOKER‌, all of the packages I get from the rancher are like this when I thaw them. I've never had bad meat yet. This is part of the grass-finished beef I get. All the stuff I've eaten so far has been phenomenal.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Ask him for a full packer next time.  Atleast it does have a fat cap under it and that will help keep it moist.  Good luck, don't overcook.  It should be 200° IT and tender to your probe.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/profile/125625/stemc33 You said you don't read warnings. They got plenty on that meat. Fire the egg up. It's a new year
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    That didn't copy right
  • stemc33
    Options
    That didn't copy right

That's okay. I knew exactly what you were talking about. =)) not too worried about the warnings, just want to make a good meal.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I think wether its a flat or a point your cooking it the same. Probe test will determine done ness in either one. I believe it is a point as well. I'm just going off the shape and marbeling alone. It's been my experience with the smaller cuts it pays to braise IMO. The downside if the braise is the lack of bark as I'm sure you already know but it will be tender. Let us know how you make out
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    That didn't copy right

That's okay. I knew exactly what you were talking about. =)) not too worried about the warnings, just want to make a good meal.

I'm sure it will be great . If not make some chill or put it in some beans. :-? What would you call meat in beans or beans in chill?
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Good luck brother, checking back for the $$ shots.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • stemc33
    Options
    Okay...today's the day for this piece of brisket that some say is a flat and others a point. Here's more pictures that might help identify what it is. On the egg at 250° at 1300 with hickory and cherry foe smoke. imageimageimageimage
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    That must be one of those fancy 50/50 briskets. 50% flat and 50% point.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    In your unwrapped pics: 1st looks like the point, 2nd pic is flat on right side over some point, 3rd pic flat on top, point in bottom with seam of fat separating them.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • stemc33
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:

In your unwrapped pics: 1st looks like the point, 2nd pic is flat on right side over some point, 3rd pic flat on top, point in bottom with seam of fat separating them.

You got me really confused now.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I watched a video a few days ago on slicing brisket that would help understand. Unfortunately, with all this time off I've been drinking more than usual and can't remember the site. Basically, that last pic has a vein of fat running thru it that is typically the segregation point between the point and the flat. Google slicing brisket and I bet you find the same article containing the video as my drunk ass.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I've never seen a flat with a major vein of fat through the middle. It doesn't look much like a point either.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • stemc33
    Options
    I've never seen a flat with a major vein of fat through the middle. It doesn't look much like a point either.

I guess it really doesn't matter. I've only had brisket once and really don't know what's what. Also, I had some temp issues earlier, so I don't even know how this things going to turn out. I got busy plowing snow. Checked on it and made adjustments then went back to plowing. After I finished, the temp was still low. Looks to be doing good now though. Just gotta wait and see.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2015
    Options
    stemc33 said: SGH‌ any ideas? 

Brother stem, let me first apoligize for my delayed response. I have been working very long hours and had a death in the family yesterday. As to the question at hand. Yes my friend, not only do I have a idea, I feel that I know exactly what you have. The lines of separation more than solve your mystery.  What you have is "mock brisket" or technically brachii meat. Brachii is sold nation wide as small imitation or mock brisket. The brachii, sits just below the anterior deltoid head. More often than not, when you see brisket of any kind smaller than 4 pounds, it's usally brachii. Not to worry my friend, brachii tastes almost identical to the much larger pectoral. You wont see much differnce at all. Again, my apologies for the delay. Haven't been on the forum much with all that has been going on. Thus far, your grub looks great.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    stemc33 said:

R2Egg2Q said:

You got me really confused now.
    Sorry, looks to me like you have some of both (point and flat).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • stemc33
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This whatchamacallit brisket has given me problems all day. Not really the meat, but don't want to blame the egg or more importantly my incompetence. Temperature problems. I don't think I had enough lump to keep the coals insulated to keep the hot nest hot. With air entering the egg at near zero temperatures, I should of filled the egg to the brim to provide insulation for the coals to keep the cold air from directly hitting the coals. Since it was a small brisket, I thought I had enough lump. @NPHuskerFL‌, you got any ideas on a preheated air induction system for the egg. Lol. Long day and in the end, the brisket is in the oven finishing. :-q
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    Fail, fail, fail. L-) need to do my homework before trying another brisket. Pics look way better than the outcome. Several things went wrong with cook. Too many to pinpoint why this mock brisket failed. Wanted to just let this thread die, but thought I needed to post my thoughts on the finished product.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I've done a lot worse.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Oh well....One consolation I bet the house smells good...We live for another day..Thanks for posting and at least I learnt about a "whatchamacallit" brisket.. :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    I tried a small piece of brisket too a couple months ago figured it would be good pratice, got a similar result. Did a full packer on new years, much better result. Keep trying, dont think many perfect it early.
    Jacksonville FL