Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg'n & Sail'n

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
345%3C56734%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3236%3E7%3B3%3E842%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3B8%3B%3A3%3A89nu0mrj
<p />A friend of mine who now lives in Connecticut just bought a small sailboat and it reminded me of my sailing days when we lived in Miami. Then I wondered if any Eggheads are also sailors and does anyone have a Big Green Egg on their boat?[p]Spring "Anchor Clanker" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Never had an BGE on one of my boats, but have hade plenty of goodies off the BGE on the boat. Last year I did a delivery to the Caribbean and brought 10#'s of Boston Butt to munch on the way down...lasted less than 2 days!! I raced J24s in Boston for years, sailed my own Victory 21 (a 1967) and a Bristol 33.....lived in the Caribbean for 4 winters (before marriage) and raced the whole circuit. Living in Charleston South Carloina now and only sail during Charleston Race Week.....working my butt off and have no time! Got to get out there again...
    Fair Winds, Paul

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    i was once invited to a nh bass tournament to fish. showed up with a 13 foot old town canoe. had a grill setup (didnt know what an egg was yet). me, a partner, a cooler of beer, my german shepard and about 3 inches of freeboard left on the canoe. we went up against some of those big bassboats with the 200 HP motors on the back. we floated around in the middle of the lake, drank beer and cooked all day. came in second and was never invited again : ) ill have a mini on board my lobster boat someday.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Thats funny! My dad and one of his buddies did that in a Walleye Tournament after they had retired. The "pros" would race up the river and float down the river jigging night crawlers. My dad and his buddy fished that river every day for years would troll dragging plugs. They would cook bacon and eggs for breakfast, fry sausage and peppers for lunch, all the while fishing. I think they came in tenth their best year. I am sure they caught the most fish just not the largest, and they had a blast doing it.[p]E
  • Scribs
    Scribs Posts: 27
    Options
    Spring Chicken, I do not have a boat big enough for an egg yet but a weekend trip out of Gulf Shores is what got me and my family into eggs. The captain had an egg mounted on his boat and he cooked breakfast (eggs, sausage and biscuit). Then shut he it down to about 200 degrees until lunch, then opened the vents and cooked snapper caught 5 minutes before. Once again he shut the vents to about 200 degrees until dinner and once again just opened the vents and cooked one of the best steaks we ever had. The next day he did the same thing. [p]We could not only believe the quality of food we were eating 100 miles off shore but he was cooking on this weird thing that he had to light only once. Needless to say within a couple of weeks my father, uncle and I were all egg owners.[p]Casey

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    Ahhhhh! Sounds like the good life. Mine wasn't so big or so nice. It was 23' with galley, head and sleeping for up to five if some where small. But it was considered a family boat (Don't recall the model) It had a crank down centerboard and 800 pounds of ballast, and only a 5 hp outboard kicker, so you know it was slow. Having never been on the ocean before, much less on a sailboat, I had the good sense to take Coast Guard lessons. Then I found out I'm no sailor. However, when things were going well I loved it. Perhaps I should have gone out with you a few times to learn the basics. Krap'n in pants was not covered by the Coast Guard. LOL[p]Spring "Roll'n In The Clover" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Scribs,
    Great story. Good cooks make good salespeople, no matter where they are.[p]Spring "Keep'n My Feet Dry" Chicken

• Egg And I
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]We sail the Chesapeake, and have been trying to figure out the logistics of putting a mini on board...how to set it up securely on deck, where & how to stow it, dealing with it while it shuts down and cools, etc. Have a gasser with a removable rail mount. Would love to hear ideas/see pix.[p]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    The Egg And I,
    have someone build you a simple gimbal made from metal straps to secure your BGE. That device will stay upright no matter how your boat rocks and rolls.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    RRP,
    Darn Ron! You must have been an inventor in another life. I think that just might work. Swing it off the stern and the smoke will make downwind sailors think the boat is under hickory power. LOL[p]Looks like I'm gonna have to get me another boat or better than that, find a friend who owns one. It's the best kind of boat... Someone else's.[p]Spring "Former Hole In The Water Owner" Chicken[p]

• Scribs,
    We had the same experience. Now we are egg owners also. What was the name of the boat? Neither of can come up with the boat name.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]That's a great shot, Leroy. When was that taken?[p]John

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    1976 I think. Maybe early 1977. Miami. Notice the handlebar mustache and hair sticking out from under my cap. Things have changed a LOT.[p]Spring "History In The Making" Chicken

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I'm an old sailor...and love BBQ. It works. Grills of any kind on boats are great.
    Enjoy!
    :)

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]30 years ago? Holey Moley. Thanks for posting that photo. It's a keeper for sure.... especially love the hair. :~)[p]john
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    BBQBeth,
    I've toured some of the old restored tall ships and was impressed with the galley and cooking equipment. I just can't imagine how they could cook anything while on the high seas. Even more amazing is how they could do it without setting themselves or the ship on fire. That would not be a good thing.[p]Spring "Still Water Captain" Chicken

• NickT
    NickT Posts: 6
    Options
    milagroanchor01.jpg
    <p />Spring Chicken,
    If you look closely you may see something on the bow of our Milagro.

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    NickT,
    Aaaaaaa! I can smell the salt air and steak from here. But I'm thinking you sure have a small boat or a very large BGE. [p]Spring "Land Loving Boater" Chicken [p]

• NickT
    NickT Posts: 6
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    My secret is out. I am slightly challenged in the graphic arts arena.
    Milagro is 44 feet overall, I guess that means the egg is about 6.5 feet tall![p]Nick "wishin' my egg was that large" T

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    NickT,
    Then let's just say "Nice Boat" and not think about the 6.5' Big Green Egg. Besides, if BGE built one for you then everyoen would want one. Then you would have to get a bigger boat. Then a bigger Egg. There's no end to it in the good old USA. [p]Spring "Let's All Just Worry About The Small Stuff" Chicken

• WooDoggies
    Options
    NickT,[p]Nice boat and locale, Nick. :~)[p]John

• Spring Chicken,
    gimbal it boy!!!
    :)[p]