Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Do You Sharpen Your Knives?

Options
13»

Comments

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I use a Chef's Choice sharpener. It's just a two stage. Once the knives are put thru the coarse stage initially to set the angle, there is no need to use that again. The fine stage is all that is needed after that. Expensive? No. Sharp? Yes!
  • JoeMac
    JoeMac Posts: 17
    Options
    Take your cash and get you some water stones, a king 1000/6000 and a Norton 4000/8000. For you chisels get you a lee valley MK II honing guide and lastly you will need a lapping plate to flatten your stones, a DMT dia or duo plate is what I use, Also some sandpaper spray adhesive to flat granite plate will do fine. Watch a few YouTube videos and you will learn how to do it, grinding wheels and things like that will leave machine marks and if u slip up could remove more material than you had planned, I have collected quite an assortment of sharpening tools and have not spent 700 bucks, what I have recommended will cost you about 350 ish give or take.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i used to use the stones but these new knives are so hard that the stones wear out fast. what i use now is an old diamond stone that i found at a yard sale, its 3 x about 10 inches and stays flat. i do use a very expensive natural stone for my shaving razors and a strop with the green honing paste and finish those up sharpening with newspaper. i dont like using the machines
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I really like the looks of that Tormek T7 but from what I'm gathering is if you're wanting to do knives they are recommending using a Japanese Waterstone wheel which is an additional $380. Plus, you will also need the appropriate jigs for your knives. After all this, you will be approaching the $1100 or $1200 range. Still not sure I could justify spending that kinda money to have ultra sharp blades and tools but then again it's all about what a fella wants. Heck, we're spending that kinda money on our ceramic cookers that a lot folks more than likely think is crazy! I'm really wanting to purchase a sharpening system myself but I'm not concerned about doing other tools, strictly knives for me. I'm really leaning towards the Wicked Edge Pro Pack II or the Tormek T7 more and more. I like the fact that these 2 systems eliminate as much human error as possible. Wicked Edge is a manual system while the Tormek would be motorized. Hmmm, decisions decisions! I think for now I'll keep researching and saving my play money. Great topic by the way!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax