Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to plan out a bone In Pork Chop Roast

Options
I bought a 7.5 lb bone in pork chop roast this afternoon. Bones cut off and then re-tied to the roast. I plan to cook indirect at about 250. How long do you think it will take per pound? I'm planning to pull at 150 internal and let temp raise to 160 after foiling and resting. Also,any suggestions for overnight marinade? Don't want anything too fancy. Just want juicy and tasty.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Without actually seeing how you laid it out and trimmed it, it's hard to give a real close time. However just going by the weigh and assuming you hold a steady 250 degrees, you should be in the 3 hour arena, give or take a little. I usually do not marinade, however a simple salt/sugar brine over night works wonders on chops my friend. It's certainly not fancy but the results are spectacular for sure. It will be beyond juicy if you do not over cook it. I know we all have different tastes and preferences, but I pull mine closer to 140 degrees internal. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Do you have measurements for your brine? And do you use brown sugar or white sugar? Kosher salt?
    Athens, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Whatever you do...don't overcook it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You are quite welcome. For a pork brine I use 1 cup salt and 1 cup light brown sugar to 1 gallon of water. For what it's worth, I use kosher salt but honestly I don't think it makes that much difference for a basic brine.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I know people still have hesitations about pork temps, but do yourself and this nice piece of meat a favor and remove it no higher than 140. You won't be sorry, or sick. Meat will be more moist, tender, and flavorful though. Good luck and enjoy!
  • Mayberry
    Options
    If I finish this thing early, will it be okay to FTC, or should I only loosely foil and carve as I'm serving?
    Athens, GA
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Absolutely. I would try to plan it done early if it were me. It will hold quite a while.
  • Mayberry
    Options
    I didn't have time to brine overnight. Should I inject it before cooking for moisture, or will it be fine without?
    Athens, GA
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Just cook it. It will be great. The most important thing to keep it moist and tender is temp. Keep it @140. No matter what you do before cooking, to keep it moist, you will undo by cooking too long.