Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever smoke an eye of round?

Options
If so how'd you do it and how was it? I'm tempted to give it a try.

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Yep, there a few threads around here about it.

The eye of round that I had was VERY lean, so I essentially did like a reverse sear and just tried to get as much flavor and smoke into it as possible. From there I sliced it very thin, like deli roast beef and at it mostly on sandwiches (once or twice with mashed potatoes and gravy).

For sandwich meat i think it's an okay cut, but for most applications you're probably better off with something else.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I am considering making some home-cured bresaola out of it soon, but never smoked any...
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Humpy_Dumpty
    Options
    Thanks. I'm going to borrow my friends deli slicer and give the roast beef a try next week. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Happy New Year
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I did one a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't slice it "deli" thin, but I sliced it pretty thin and we made sliders.  It was excellent.  It is very lean, so a generous application of rub is crucial to give it good flavor.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I found this the other day. Haven't tried it yet, but it's from ATK and sounds promising.

http://onedadskitchen.com/tag/slow-roasted-beef/

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I've reverse seared a few and sliced as thin as I could without a slicer and made italian beef sandwiches. Wonderful.

Little Rock, AR

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Humpty_dumpty‌ I have smoked eye round on my stick burner and it was awesome. We stuff garlic cloves into the meat then use mustard and cover with rub. You have to watch the temp closely we pulled it around 140 and as stated before slice it thin. Good luck and happy new year.