Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not my usual lunch

Options
Salt block salmon. Around 400. Heated slowly. Lubed up with coconut oil. Was really juicy and good. Didn't get much from the salt though. I did flip it once.
Wild rice and a spinach salad.

photo 76F736CC-0882-4631-886D-FC5A9C615504.jpg

photo 725BF57F-CF92-449A-BA0E-520FA05500FC.jpg

XLBGE 

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looks good... how do you like the coconut oil? Do you find that it adds flavor when you use it?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    That looks really good. I tend to get more salt than expected from my block. Well the two cooks I've done. One shrimp, one scallop. Wonder if it's related to the type of meat?
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Damn that looks good.  Nice job!

I'm still at the office and just had some sushi for lunch  :(
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @hapster‌
    The few times I've used it I didn't notice anything. I've fried up stuff and baked with it. Only used it today because was out of EVOO.

@theyolksonyou‌
    I'm sure it was the salmon being thick and the skin. I really want to find some scallops.

@YEMTrey‌
    Thanks!

XLBGE 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    That looks very good. I love salmon. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I'd hit it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Did you put on pineapple cologne to smell like a Pina Colada for the wife?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Good lunch
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Looks great MCN!!! I've been doin some reading on salt block cooking but haven't purchased one yet but from what I understand anytime you add oil or butter it lessons the salt impact. Everything that I can find says the best results on most fish and meats is that they cook best when in the 500-550 on the block. It also said on certain foods when doing more or a cook and not a sear at lower temps the proteins will pick up more of a salty taste.

This may explain why @theyolksonyou says his scallops turned out salty. Did you start skin or meat down first? Just curious

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌ I definitely killed the temp when I overloaded the block with scallops. Also, temp was kinda low. On the shrimp, I got the block much hotter and they only cooked a couple minutes a side. Still salty, but shrimp take on flavor pretty quickly.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Fine eats. Salmon is always a bit hit or miss when I make it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Did you put on pineapple cologne to smell like a Pina Colada for the wife?
    That's how babies happen. Don't give him ideas.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Nice lunch big timer. We have converted to using coconut oil on almost everything. I love it.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ...from what I understand anytime you add oil or butter it lessons the salt impact. 

That's what I was thinking, I don't think salt is soluble in fat/oil, and the oil presents a barrier between the salt and the moisture in the fish.  
    I'm not sure though, I'm gonna try right now to dissolve some salt in OO; stand by.  

EDIT:  after soaking in a couple drops of oil, I carefully poured a drop to the side, and tasted it, no salt flavor at all.  The grains didn't look affected, and rubbing them with my fingertip didn't get them to dissolve either.  So there you go, Science, m*therph*ckers!!!  
    :D

EDIT 2:  Oh, and I gotta resolve to eat more fish in 2015.  That looks great!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌

I started skin down. And that makes perfect sense. I was going off a VI cook I saw when I googled salt block salmon. Should have known he couldn't be trusted [-X

XLBGE 
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Nice looking lunch
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Botch‌ if I remember back to chemistry class you're right - oil is a nonpolar solvent and doesn't pull apart an ionic compound very well. Feel free to disprove me though because I may be talking out of my a$$

@Hi54putty‌ my wife has tried substituting coconut oil in different recipes. She says it's healthy. The taste of coconut oil drives me nuts, can't stand it, even though I like coconut. What kind of stuff do you cook with it?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Botch
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @Botch‌ if I remember back to chemistry class you're right - oil is a nonpolar solvent and doesn't pull apart an ionic compound very well. Feel free to disprove me though because I may be talking out of my a$$  

You may be talking out your a$$, but it's still over my head!  
    :))

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @Hi54putty‌

VI used peanut oil to keep it nonstick so I figured needed to oil it. My wife wanted to switch to coconut oil and I was totally against it being cheap. Well I finished up a semester with A's and I always fell richer when I make good grades, don't really know why. Came home with a tub of coconut oil to celebrate and the rest was history.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @blind99‌
    I've sautéed things and made pound cakes with it and never tasted it.

XLBGE 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I use coconut oil a bunch and don't mind it at all. I absolutely hate eating the actual coconut because I can't stand the texture but use the oil and milk a bunch. One of my favorite things is to use coconut oil on the griddle when making pancakes and also use the nonstick spray for my breakfast eggs if I'm not using a CI skillet which is more often than not because I'm a lil skeered I'll scratch the glass on my cooktop with the heavy CI.
    I almost forgot about the Rosemary Sweet Potatoes. I tried to sub EVOO and it just didn't taste the same

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • blind99
    Options
    My wife doesn't taste anything odd about it either. Maybe it's like cilantro, people either like it or it tastes bad to them.

In any case that's a fine looking piece of salmon!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    blind99 said:

@Hi54putty‌ my wife has tried substituting coconut oil in different recipes. She says it's healthy. The taste of coconut oil drives me nuts, can't stand it, even though I like coconut. What kind of stuff do you cook with it?

Pretty much anything in a pan or pot. My current favorite is sweet potatoes cubed and tossed in coconut oil and a spicy/sweet rub. Bake/Egg at 450 until crispy.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • blind99
    Options
    @Hi54putty‌ I'll have to give it a try. I love sweet potatoes.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    blind99 said:

My wife doesn't taste anything odd about it either. Maybe it's like cilantro, people either like it or it tastes bad to them.

In any case that's a fine looking piece of salmon!

@blind99‌ People who have cilantro aversion are weird genetic mutants(well, not really. They're just missing a specific gene). I've never heard of it with coconut. :-?
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I could eat that every day -  Looks great.  I cook with coconut oil all the time (big jar from Costco).  I like the taste of it, never has an overbearing taste of coconut.  It is supposed to be healthier too (of course the opinion on what's healthy changes every few months).

Very healthy meal all around.  Great job!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Botch
    Options
    Came home with a tub of coconut oil to celebrate and the rest was history.

Taken out of context, this could be the ultimate BGE quote of the year!  

• Botch
    Options
    This forum is messin' with our smilies; that waren't the one I selected...

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Botch said:
    Came home with a tub of coconut oil to celebrate and the rest was history.

Taken out of context, this could be the ultimate BGE quote of the year!  

I had a nice snarky remark all lined up around this one too, but the mods ate it...