Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Sauce?

Options
What's your favorite recipe for sauce for pulled pork? I am a Texan and haven't really enjoyed the Carolina vinegar sauces I've tried in the past, so a I'm thinking a Memphis style might be the way to go. Anyone willing to share?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    What do you like? Most people(gen pop; since it is the #1 seller) seem to like Kansas City style(sweet, ketchup-y/molassas thickness). I suppose that I would consider Memphis style a go between if KC is on one side(sweet) and Carolina is on the other(vinegary/tangy). I'm from the Carolinas so I prefer Eastern Mop and SC mustard.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited December 2014
    Options
    this is an excellent general purpose sauce, but I find it particularly good on pulled pork. Read the story leading up to it...

J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ Sauce Recipe
    Mike Flaherty - March 30, 2001
    Yes, we have (all sorts of) real BBQ in Seattle. An eclectic mix of folks from lots of different places. In the 80's there was a tiny place up on Cherry St (!), called J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ. You had to watch out for the needles on the sidewalk, dark little room with years of smoke on it, you'd order a pile of meat, and get a side of incredible beans, and 2 slices of white bread wrapped in foil. And change for the pop machine if you needed it. The proprietors name was Beal, I believe. As I recall, a retired navy cook and utter BBQ maestro. His sauce was spectacular, and he's also use that sauce as a base for his beans.
    When Beal quit in the mid 80's, I thought my life was over. There was no other BBQ that even came close here. And it was the sauce that shone.
    So the other night, I'm at a guy's house, downing marguerites and sampling various hot sauces, and he says "Try this!" I immediately knew what it was..... Beals sauce! Amazing. This guy had eaten at the wild boar every week for years. He and his wife would bring in their attempts to duplicate the sauce, and after months of trying, Mr. Beal took pity on them and finally gave them his recipe.
    You should REALLY REALLY REALLY try this. I believe that it's an inspired compendium of common ingredients, whose sum is infinitely greater than its individual components.
    This would even be good on vanilla ice cream!

THE RECIPE:
    This is a "1/2" recipe, and makes 2 quarts.
    Mix in big pot over low heat
    1/6 cup salt

2 cups sugar

1/2 heaping cup packed brown sugar

1 cup beef bouillon strong (RRP here…I use a cup of Swanson Beef Broth plus 1 Wyler’s Beef bouillon cube)

6 Cups H20
    When sugars dissolve, add
    1 cup yellow mustard

1/2 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup Wrights liquid smoke. Yes, that's right!

1 Cup Worcestershire

3 6 oz cans tomato paste

2 TBS Kitchen Bouquet to darken 

Chili Powder (the real thing), cayenne, Daves, whatever to add heat. Hatch ground chile is my favorite. I might try adding baby schezuan peppers or chili pequins next time. I also like to make a not too hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jalapeno. (RRP here…I just use 1 tea of chipotle and 2 TBS of chili powder)
    Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken. (RRP here…my experience is it never reduces that much, but more like 1”. Just be sure to stir from time to time! )

RRP here…I have been making this as our house sauce for 13 years now and we just love it. I have found that it will freeze nicely though it will never be rock hard, So rather than to try to further cut this recipe in half just trust me that you’ll like it, but if not you’ll find friends who do.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options
    @Eggcelcior I don't like it too sweet (which was what I meant by pointing out that I'm from Texas). I also don't want it too thick, but Carolina spicy vinegar doesn't do it for me. Need some tomato for body and a touch of swwet. So I guess I'm looking for neither thick nor thin. Spicier than sweet, but not much of either.
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options
    @RRP‌ That looks about right. I can't stand the idea of liquid smoke, but ok. I'll give it a run.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @MJH try bone sucking sauce based on your above comment.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • RRP
    Options
    MJH said:
    @Eggcelcior I don't like it too sweet (which was what I meant by pointing out that I'm from Texas). I also don't want it too thick, but Carolina spicy vinegar doesn't do it for me. Need some tomato for body and a touch of swwet. So I guess I'm looking for neither thick nor thin. Spicier than sweet, but not much of either.
    Trust me - I don't like that sick sweet taste either and that recipe I just posted is not sweet and you can make it more sassy by adding more heat if you want.
  • RRP
    Options
    MJH said:
    @RRP‌ That looks about right. I can't stand the idea of liquid smoke, but ok. I'll give it a run.
    then leave it out, but it does add to the smell.
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    @RRP‌, I like molasses in my BBQ sauce, how would one modify your posted recipe to incorporate it? I've wanted to learn to make a sauce. All I know is my favorite ones have molasses on the ingredient list.
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    +1 on bone sucking sauce. Just a little tangy, not that vinegary taste.

When I saw the thread title I thought maybe my 8 or 12 yr old boys had started an account. :D
  • RRP
    Options
    maso said:
    @RRP‌, I like molasses in my BBQ sauce, how would one modify your posted recipe to incorporate it? I've wanted to learn to make a sauce. All I know is my favorite ones have molasses on the ingredient list.
    Well, I see you can substitute molasses in recipes as follows:

Use 1 cup molasses:
     instead of 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of water

Translated into that recipe then use 2 cups molasses and skip 1.5 cup of the granulated sugar plus reduce the water used by 1/2 cup.

That work for you?

• johnkitchens
    Options
     Butt Sauce. It sounds so dirty. Another word that sounds dirty but isn't "juicebox". 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I keep meaning to try this contest winning recipe from TRex, but somehow never have. Looks great though. http://food52.com/recipes/6400-dead-guy-sauce

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    RRP said:
    maso said:
    Well, I see you can substitute molasses in recipes as follows:

Use 1 cup molasses:
     instead of 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of water

Translated into that recipe then use 2 cups molasses and skip 1.5 cup of the granulated sugar plus reduce the water used by 1/2 cup.

That work for you?

That's awesome, thanks sir!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    @Carolina_Q: That sounds fantastic, though I would add a little more heat.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia