Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Oven Butt

I haven't egged a pizza in two years because they are just as good in my oven. However, there are some things that even I won't cook in the oven. Pork butt, for instance. However...

I'm visiting my mom and she has no egg. She also has no bbq joints nearby, but loves her Q. With butts at $1.49 a pound here (Wegman's), I decided to give it a shot - in her oven. Could have used her weber, but didn't want to spend all night babysitting a kettle. So, I put an 8 lb butt in at 10PM the other night. Seasoned with my usual home brew rub and oven temp at 220. When I woke up, I bumped the temp up to 250 and pulled it when the bone came out by hand. Took about 15 hrs. Pulled it with two dinner forks (kept shredding until it was virtually chopped).

Was it as good as egged? Of course not - needs smoke!! But it was still pretty good... and Mom got her BBQ fix! Mixed up some Eastern NC vinegar sauce and bought some KFC slaw. Good to go!

But the best part was, I reheated some last night and it was actually not bad! I had tried this before and was not impressed, but I put the meat in a saucepan, splashed on some sauce, covered it and heated at med-lo until ready. Quite good actually. Much better than I recalled.

Bottom line, if you HAVE to have some Q and are eggless, give it a try. Also, saucepan reheat is worth doing too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Glad it turned out nice! I would offer you could do the same, but start it on the kettle grill using a 2 zone fire and smoke it for an hour or 2 , then transfer to the oven for the remainder. Or you add some liquid smoke if you do oven only. Both would add some smoky element to the meat.
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    But your Mom a Mini Max. Problem solved!
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    As said. Buy Mom an Egg :x
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Chowman, I could have used the weber as you said, but I also wanted to see what the oven would do. Maybe next time. Liquid smoke ain't happenin' though. :)

MJG, not a snowball's chance of that happening either.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Mickey, no way. She's 98 and would never use it. And I sure don't want it. I already HAVE a mini I need to unload.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 98, That's awesome! 
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Liquid smoke is disgusting!!!   :-&

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Liquid smoke is disgusting!!!   :-&
    Why? It's just hickory-infused water(at least the stuff I can find)
  • Carolina Q
    Watched Alton brown make liquid smoke on good eats once. It's just condensed smoke, but it sounds nasty.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut