Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brussels Sprouts

Options
Anyone have a killer recipe for some Brussels Sprouts? Having a lady friend over for dinner tomorrow night and they are her favorite veggies. Doing a sous vide filet, skillet potatoes, and black eyed peas, but I've never done Brussels before..

Need all the help I can get.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The big secret to brussel sprouts is to cut them in half lengthwise before cooking. The problem w. them is that there are chemicals on the outside that cook before the inside heats up enough, which leaves the inside bitter. But if the inside gets warm enough, the outerl eaves become bitter. By slicing them in half, all parts get cooked at about the same speed.

They also make really good slaw when carefully shredded w. a mandolin. I like to mix them w. some bacon when making slaw. But this Christmas, I served them w. candied pecans because my elder daughter is vegetarian. In both cases I use a mustard sauce w. a little lemon juice and honey.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    get some pancetta and leave it in a chunk (don't buy slices). Cut into little cubes and fry up in a sauté pan. Remove pancetta. Add Brussels into the rendered fat and sauté for 5-10 minutes. Throw back in the pancetta, add a little S&P, and some fresh herbs (rosemary/thyme) and serve hot.... so good.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @gdenby‌ that's the problem I have with them, thanks. Also, I've read some folks blanch them for a few seconds in boiling water, never tried, but I'm gonna.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    dont have recipe but ate a great warm brussel sprout salad with toasted walnuts and cranberries this xmas. the brussel was shredded, could taste some parm, and there was a light lemon vinegrette on it, best thing i ate this xmas. tasted more like broccoli than a brussel/ cabbage profile

it was kind of like this one but she simmered whole cranberries for a few minutes then put everything in a warm oven for a few, then tossed on the vinaigrette

http://danabueno.com/shaved-brussels-sprouts-salad/
    http://danabueno.com/shaved-brussels-sprouts-salad/
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • motowfo
    Options
    If you're a real glutton for punishment (aren't we all?)...

Peel the leaves from the sprouts, olive oil (or bacon fat), garlic and a pinch of salt (a little goes a long way) and saute the leaves in a skillet over medium head for 2 or 3 minutes.  The leaves will be wilted but not limp.

The hard part is peeling the leaves but it's worth the effort!!!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Slice lengthwise.  Toss in EVOO, sea salt and fresh ground pepper.  Place on a sheet pan and into preheated oven @ 375.  Roast for about 12 mins and shake to move them around.  Put back in till fork tender (3-4 mins).  Pull from oven and toss with drizzle of Gia Russa Balsamic Glaze and crumbled bacon.  My kids even eat these.    

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • THE DRU
    Options
    Leave whole,par boil in hot water till tender, let cool, thread onto skewer, salt and pepper, grill on egg direct at 400* dome turning often and baste with a honey mustard sauce. Mike

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    My wife and I like this one

3 strips bacon, cut crosswise into ½” strips
    2 Tbsp. butter
    1 ½ lbs. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
    2 large shallots, roughly chopped
    1 cup hard apple cider
    1 tsp. honey
    1 tsp. kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high. Add bacon and cook, stirring here and there, until brown and crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

Pour all but 1 Tbsp. bacon fat into a heat-proof jar and reserve for another use. Add butter to skillet. When the butter has melted, add the sprouts. Cook for about 5 minutes, gently shaking the skillet from time to time.

Stir in the shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the cider, honey, salt and pepper, gently mix, and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the sprouts are tender and the liquid has almost evaporated, 5-7 minutes. If the sprouts need more cooking time, add more cider.

Toss with bacon and serve immediately.

From https://www.yahoo.com/food/braised-brussels-sprouts-with-bacon-and-hard-apple-102980221366.html
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    Options

I typically leave whole, put in pan with good amount of water, cover, and bring to a boil until they start getting soft.

I then remove the water, add about an inch tall amount or apple vinegar, garlic power, and old bay and then cover and bring up to temp.

Let them cook another 10 mins or so until nice in soft.

FYI... you have to like vinegar and old bay.

Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • BeerNBBQ
    Options
    I have never made brussel sprouts this way, but have made some of her other recipes and they were great. She's also a fellow egg header.

Braselton, GA.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Dare I say this but I actually thread them whole onto fire wires (yes I use firewires but they weren't free and despite their shortcomings, I get along with them well enough). 

I brush with EVOO and dust generously with Dizzy Pig Shakin' the Tree and throw em straight on the grid until they get a little char on each side. It takes about 20 minutes.  We made them that way every week all summer.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • jeffhall318
    Options
    I've had good luck slicing them lengthwise, placing them cut side down on a foil-lined metal sheet pan coated with olive oil then dusted with onion powder and either Weber Roasted Garlic and Herb seasoning, Cavender's, or italian herb blend (plus salt), and roasting at 400˚F until the leaves on the top start to get dark brown - usually the bottom is mildly crispy at that point.  The time varies by size of the sprouts.  
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Do a google search for BLT Steak Brussel sprouts. They are my favorite veggie and these are the best I have tried.
    Greensboro, NC
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options

Try cleaning them and leave wet. Put on tin foil, drizzle with a little EVOO and your favorite spice/seasoning. Wrap up the foil and throw on the Egg, 350 degrees for about 30-45 min. Did this last weekend and turned out great.

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Wow...she must be a fox to cook up veggies...cause if your like me. I let the cow eat eat veggies and I eat the cow.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Toss with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Grill in a pan @ 400F indirect for 30-40 minutes in the egg or in the oven. Shake the pan mid cook.

edited January 2015
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    get some pancetta and leave it in a chunk (don't buy slices). Cut into little cubes and fry up in a sauté pan. Remove pancetta. Add Brussels into the rendered fat and sauté for 5-10 minutes. Throw back in the pancetta, add a little S&P, and some fresh herbs (rosemary/thyme) and serve hot.... so good.
    +1 on the pancetta.  I had trouble finding a chunk last weekend, couldn't find the pre-diced either so I hit the deli counter and had them slice me some that was about 1/3" thick that I could go ahead and dice up.  I would recommend pearl onions with the roasted sprouts - cut in half like the sprouts, or par-boil first if you're going to leave them whole.

edit - just a few dried cherries, cranberries or something like that adds a nice balance to the bitterness of the sprouts.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Did these the other night... 

Cleaned first and sliced in half
    Placed in a bowl 
    Coated with EVOO, salt, pepper, fresh garlic(minced (take a little salt to help reduce the size as well)).  
    Two slices of bacon and a few little smokies (optional)
    Got CI pan hot on the EGG at around 400° or so with canola and butter
    Place sprouts in CI pan
    Take same bowl and pour 1/4 cup balsamic, couple tablespoons of honey, and tablespoon of butter
    Cooked until tender (around 30-40 min)
    Take sprouts and place in bowl of balsamic and honey.  Toss well, and place back in the skillet to keep warm and serve.  

This adds a little acid to the sprouts as well as some sweetness to cut the sprout as they can be pungent.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site