Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

120 lbs village smoked sausage

Options
My brothers and I, with the oversight of our father, made some smoked sausage from scratch. Picked up 120lbs of pork butt from RD and didn't waste any pieces. This is a family recipe and is known as a village sausage. As usual, cherry is used for smoke. Most was smoked in the smokehouse we built years ago but the rest I smoked in the XL.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Impressive. Reminds me of the Kielbasi place I buy from in NE PA coal country.
    Options
    That looks very nice. You could feed a village with that amount. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • mmiladinov
    Options
    Thanks guys! We split them amongst the families and freezes well.
    Tjcoley said:

Impressive. Reminds me of the Kielbasi place I buy from in NE PA coal country.

Awesome! It's similar to kielbasi. Tough to find places that sell good stuff. This was one style my father and uncle used to make and sell in their butcher shop.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Uuuhhhh...

I'd eat all of that. ^:)^
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • mmiladinov
    Options
    Forgot to mention that on the egg... Temp was 200 raised indirect with cherry wood for about 1.5 to 2 hrs.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Hats off to your father, that is impressive.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Can I come join your family?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Awesome, just freakin awesome. I'll PM you my address should you feel over run with sausage.
  • mmiladinov
    Options
    anton said:

Hats off to your father, that is impressive.
    :-bd

Thank you very much! He's tought me everything I know. I've already started passing down the traditions to my kids as well. They are already all about the egg.
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    Are you cold smoking in the smokehouse or getting it around 200 as well?

Any pics of the smoke house?

Thanks
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Yep, this is awesome! Would be great to get a recipe if you'd be willing to share. I promise not to distribute it, or use it for profit!

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • mmiladinov
    Options
    The first pic is from this batch whereas the second is from the last batch we did in April. Now it is quite a bit old anda little beat up but it still churns out some good stuff. It's about 7 to 8 feet tall 5 feet wide and about 4 to 5 get deep. The wood is burned at the bottom directly underneath the meat where the drippings hitting the coals gives automakers flavor. No temp gauge either. The man knows the temp by feeling the outside of the box using his hand. He's been doing this for over 40 years.

Temp is about 160 in the smokehouse which is more of the ideal temp range. Next time I smoke on the egg, I'll shoot for the 160 to 170 range. 200 is a bit too high. Still turned out amazing on both.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Wow.  Just wow.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Holy ****! That is awesome! I feel like a better man just by seeing this thread.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• mmiladinov
    Options

Yep, this is awesome! Would be great to get a recipe if you'd be willing to share. I promise not to distribute it, or use it for profit!

Cheers -
    B_B

I necessarily can't give out exact specifics and I really don't mean to be an a$$. But here is the list of ingredients:
    Sweet red paprika
    granulated garlic (not powder)
    White ground pepper
    salt
    cure
    Pork butt (use all of it including the fat)
    Natural casing
    fine ground but can use a coarse grind and let dry some more.

I actually use the dry ingredients plus some brown sugar but minus the cure to make my own rub for ribs, butts, whatever and they turn out great. Just play around with different proportions and adjust as necessary. Hope this helps and feel free to hit me up anytime if you want more detail.
  • mmiladinov
    Options
    @DMW‌ , @theyolksonyou‌

let me know if you're ever in the NY/NJ/PA area. I'd love to meet up with some fellow eggheads.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    That's amazing. Props to you and your family. I'm sure your Father is proud of you all! 
    I've been kicking around the thought of making sausage, just haven't kicked hard enough.
    Perhaps a NY resolution would kick harder. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Thanks @mmiladinov, even sharing this much of the recipe is great; I really appreciate it!

Do you add any extra fat or just use the whole butt as it is?

Thanks again, this really is a cool post!

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    This is awesome!
  • mmiladinov
    Options
    No extra fat. We just use what's on the butt. The key is to cut everything up into pieces. Mix the dry ingredients with the meat then grind. That way the seasoning and cure gets throughly mixed in ands minimizes contamination.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @mmiladinov - where are you?  I am in PA

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • mmiladinov
    Options
    @Sea2Ski‌ I am in central NJ closer to PA.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Awesome!!! Excellent work! =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • boochsr71
    Options

Excellent!!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I tried making sausage once, wasn't happy. Followed the recipe in Charcuterie, but found it too wet. Also didn't smoke it, you've just convinced me to give it another go. Great cook!
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    That's awesome dude, thanks.

I've made a fair bit of sausage in the past, but always from game (wild pig and venison) and never cased. I really want to give this a try now! With the lean game meats we always ended up spiking in either fatback, bacon ends and pieces, or both.

Bookmarked for future reference and inspiration!

B_B

Middleton, WI