Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef help needed

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi again
I have an eight pound outside round roast that I would like to throw on the egg tommorow morning. Should this cut of meat marinate over night, should it have a rub on it when it enters egg and should I use some smoke for flavour.
Please forgive my ignorance in such matters -since I brought this green egg home I have done more cooking than I have the whole rest of my life.
Someday I hope to be able to help others instead of only coming on line to beg for help
Thanks gang
WW

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    WW, a little help is required - what do you expect the end result to be - a beef roast to slice or a pulled beef BBQ to serve in a bun?

• WW,
    You aren't begging for help, all us learn from each other. Welcome aboard. Smoke would be very good, hickory or peacan are the ones I like. Marinate overnight in a teriyaki pineapple and wine would do wonders.
    1/3 teriyaki sauce
    1/3 pinapple juice
    1/3 wine
    Make enoungh to cover round roast. I did this last weekend with a beef brisket GREAT .[p]On the other hand the egg will do a great job if you just barbecue it plain.

• Fireball
    Options
    Firball,
    No one said I could type.
    Fireball

• Gfw,
    We are having friends over and plan on having the beef sliced with salads etc.

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Firball,
    That's great! Sounds like something my old tom cat has problems with! :-)))) Yuk! Yuk! You made my evening!!![p]On the marinade recipe, be sure to use a burgundy wine. The recipe came from Hankerin'2grill as GFW told you. I have been trying it since he first posted it. Unknowingly though I was using a "ziffendel" type wine. It always had a strong wine flavor afterwards and it did not really "tenderize" the steaks. This weekend I've got some 2"+ sirloins in the marinade made with burgundy and you can see and smell the difference! I'm not a drinker, so I could blame it on that, but I specifically told the local packaged goods owner what I was doing with it! He set me wrong, and I almost gave up on it! Thanks to all of you trying it and using it, I didn't give up! Tomorrow we shall see the "real" results![p]Thanks again to Hank and all of you for making me question my 'poor' results![p]Have a good one,[p]Dr. Chicken (& all the little chickens and the "Chicken Hawk")(the house is almost full!) :-)))

• Gfw
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, I used the marinate on a pork tenderloin (see other post) and the results were great - no burgundy in the house so I used a little Merlot - great results. Gee... I didn't even do sweet potatoes tonight![p]Check out the Spanish Rice!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Ahhh, you and Gordon are killing me -- merlot and burgandy as a marinate. Good wine should be enjoyed - not chewed. Soak the meat in rain water but spare that red wine. Its OK to use a white wine since I don't like those. :-)[p]
    Tim the wine-o

• Gfw
    Options
    Tim M, I'll keep that in mind, and trust me - if you ever make it to the Midwest, you'll find lots of good red wine - and maybe a few ribs!

• Tim M
    Options
    Gfw,[p]My 82 year old Mom lives in central Illinois - Alton -- coming in Oct or Nov. -- Now where are you??[p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Options
    Tim M, I'm in Peoria - about 150 miles from Alton - how much do you like that red wine?[p]

• Tim M
    Options
    Gfw,[p]You would need a really good one. Now, if i fly the plane out sometime thats only an 1.5 hr away.[p]Tim
  • Fireball
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    I am allergic to alochol. But I use a Solera Cream Sherry simple because we Like the taste, after all the alochol burns off. Being a past cat owner I do remember firballs. Can't drink can't type, but I sure can eat.
    Fireball