Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef prices threaten local BBQ businesses

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/27726320/high-beef-prices-could-threaten-local-bbq-businesses

Shopping for a roast this year was breath taking. Even the tough cuts are expensive. Have been cooking more pork and chicken these days.
1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Could be a weight loss conspiracy. ..
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    We always have beef at Christmas, but I just couldn't spend $100 plus this year for a tenderloin or rib roast, so we had sirloin. Not quite the same. I envy some of the posts here, but my budget can't handle those prices, particularly for everyday cooks.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

Interesting.  My holiday shopping experience was the exact opposite.  I picked up a choice boneless rib roast at Costco for $7.99/pound thinking it was a good deal.  The next day at HEB they had the same for $6.97/pound and prime was only $11.99/pound.  Prime brisket was $4.95/lb at my HEB, but Travis said in Austin he got it for under $3/pound. 

While the article is dated yesterday, the prices they refer to are from February. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    edited December 2014
    Beef prices in Cincy are finally starting to come back to Earth. Costco beef prices are back almost to 1 year ago, Prime Ribeye $10.99/lb, Jungle Jim's has Choice NY strip steak for $6.99/lb this week, but beef prices at Kroger are still silly high.
    (But it is really hard to ignore Pork Loin at Costco for $2.09/lb, when it is so tasty and healthy)
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I wouldn't be too concerned about this in the long term.  It is the free market at work, if high prices reduce demand supply will naturally increase and prices will drop.  These things are cyclical and you have to remember that the beef you eat today was probably born 18 months ago so the supply isn't changed quickly.  The other factor is that the farmer doesn't want to hold onto the cattle once they reach market weight as the animals eat every day, may need veterinarian care and the per pound price will drop as the animal grows beyond the processors ideal weight.  

Gerhard
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Beef prices are high here. $6.99 for a small end bone-in rib roast last week on sale. I don't even look at steak prices anymore, well almost never.
    Pork & chicken are still reasonable. Fry's (Kroger) has baby backs for $1.99 lb. I picked up 4 racks to supplement my stash. Pork loin will go on sale at $1.99 as well. Found a pork butt at $1.78 lb at Wally World yesterday. 
    Stock up, if you can, when it's on sale.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Prime rib roast for Christmas was $50.00 at Costco for about a 6 lb roast. HEB was selling them for $10 lb. First time in a long time we bought one. Cattle herds in the US are smaller now than they have been in decades because of the drought. Pork prices are going up because of the swine virus. Not ready to go vegan yet.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I save money and get better beef by buying the cryovac packages of rib eye and NY strip at Costco and cutting my own steaks and roasts.  It's also better buying this way since the meat isn't blade tenderized.  I think ribeye was $7.99 and NY Strip was $5.99 the last time I bought them.

Prices around here have been dropping from their highs of about 6 months ago.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA