Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs and wings help

Options
I have a large BGE and want to cook wings and ribs for a party on New Years day. Anyone tried to do the 3-2-1 method of ribs? Could I do the part in foil in oven to allow me cook the wings at that time. Do to number of each. Can't do ribs and wings at same time. Looking for any guidance. Thanks

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Yes you can put the ribs in the oven for the 2 hours while cooking the wings. The 3-2-1 method at 225 will give you fall off the bone results if that's what your looking for. I would crank the heat for the wings and go like 400 indirect.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have done something similar and it worked out fine.  I cooked the ribs at 275 dome and went 3 hours in the egg, 1.5 hours in foil, then just 20 minutes or so back on the egg to finish and set the sauce.  There was plenty of time to heat the egg up and get the wings cooked.  My oven runs hot so if I recall correctly they might have been a little more done than I like them.  I would just check the ribs periodically to make sure they don't get too done in the "foil stage".  If you find they look done (bones exposed, bendy), then just remove them from the oven and keep them wrapped or perhaps FTC them while the wings cook. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    cook the ribs no foil til just about done, foil them then into the cooler to rest while the chicken gets done. as the chicken is finishing up, open the vents, remove chicken, get a good hot fire, toss ribs on to reheat and crisp, keep dome open and baste and flip repeatedely while basting with a thinned down sauce til done, about 10 minutes. the open dome and fire lapping the ribs make for the show
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options

As others have mentioned, your plan should work.  One pitfall to avoid is that when you sauce the ribs and put them on the egg, if it is still above 300 from the wings you will need to watch them very closely if your sauce has sugar in it.  An hour at that temp with a sugar-based sauce can leave you with just a thick black outer crust.  Don't ask how I know. 

So, when you take the ribs out of the foil and put them back on the egg, they should be pretty much "done".  All you want to do at that point is glaze them with your sauce.  That may only take 15 minutes or so. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jimkdickey
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Will let you know how it turns out.