Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE keeps developing dome alignment issue

Options
I keep having to readjust my dome by loosening and retightening the dome band after positioning the dome properly. It seems it stays okay for a bit but then starts to develop an underbite of about 3/8" in front. What causes this to happen and how can I prevent it?

Thanks!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Here is the abbreviated version in a nutshell. The bands in factory form are annealed to a particular Brinnel hardness. Through constant heating and cooling over and over again, this hardness is reduced resulting in softer metal that is weaker. Hence the bands start to distort under the weight of the dome. You will never stop this phenomenon.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    i thiink the general thought is if it seals, no big deal
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    SGH said:
    Here is the abbreviated version in a nutshell. The bands in factory form are annealed to a particular Brinnel hardness. Through constant heating and cooling over and over again, this hardness is reduced resulting in softer metal that is weaker. Hence the bands start to distort under the weight of the dome. You will never stop this phenomenon.
    Nonsense. My dome is in perfect alignment, just as it was the day I assembled it five+ years ago. Hasn't been touched since except when I added some Mates about 4 years ago. Cooked at temps between 250 and 900°. Checked band bolts once, a few months ago. Perfect.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    i thiink the general thought is if it seals, no big deal
    I disagree, it exposes the gasket to direct heat. It needs to fit correctly. Need to figure out a fix.

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Mine has an underbite just as yours and there was never an issue with how it cooked. It wasn't the cause of my factory gasket failure but when it did fail I installed a Rutland gasket I got from @RPP. I've never worried about the underbite and my egg seems to work just fine.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    While I don't disagree with the fact that you expose to heat, I've had an underbite since I crashed my table and I've had the egg over 600* a few times. Just went out to look at it and there no discernible difference across the gasket.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

The bands softening due to constant heating and cooling is not nonsense, it's a absolute metallurgical fact. When metal is heated and cooled in ambient air, it's Brinnel value is slowly reduced resulting in softer metal. Someone who occasionally uses their egg will get much longer band life than someone who uses theirs on a daily or near daily basis. As the bands get softer they stretch. This is why folks dome falls out at times. The nuts and bolts are not working loose. The bands are stretching. I use my egg a lot. Probably more than most. That said Im on my third set of bands in two years. But again I cook a lot. If your eggs mostly sets idle or is used occasionally then the bands will certainly last longer. But the fact remains that the heating and then cooling of metal in ambient air results in softer and weaker metal over time.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    We use our egg probably 4 days a week with two of those cooks at 600 degrees or so. So I would think that probably qualifies as heavy use.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    SGH said:
    The bands softening due to constant heating and cooling is not nonsense, it's a absolute metallurgical fact. When metal is heated and cooled in ambient air, it's Brinnel value is slowly reduced resulting in softer metal. Someone who occasionally uses their egg will get much longer band life than someone who uses theirs on a daily or near daily basis. As the bands get softer they stretch. This is why folks dome falls out at times. The nuts and bolts are not working loose. The bands are stretching. I use my egg a lot. Probably more than most. That said Im on my third set of bands in two years. But again I cook a lot. If your eggs mostly sets idle or is used occasionally then the bands will certainly last longer. But the fact remains that the heating and then cooling of metal in ambient air results in softer and weaker metal over time.
    I agree that is the cause for the bands becoming loose.  But the OP seems to have different problem of the hinge rotating back to create an under bite. I deal with this issue from time to time, some hinges can be corrected by simply setting the dome and retightening the bands.  I would recommend that one should not let the under bite situation get beyond 1/2" as this tends to create hinge damage that van lead to a failure to open and close properly over time.  High heat cooks can help create these conditions.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2014
    Options
    We use our egg probably 4 days a week with two of those cooks at 600 degrees or so. So I would think that probably qualifies as heavy use.
    I did that too, for the first 3 years or so. Often, 5-6 days a week. Less since then. If the effects of repeated (frequent) heating and cooling were the cause of your problem, I would have had the same problem. I did (do) not. That's why I disagree with sgh. Not saying the properties of metals don't change with repeated applications of heat. I just don't believe that's what is causing your issue.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the hinge assembly, not the bands themselves. Dunno.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    This happened to me on my XL. When doing the bands, I had to loosen the hinge bolts too. One of the hinges immediately snapped into a different spot and has worked fine since. Reposition the dome and retighten everything.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    I just watched the video and I'll give it a try. My side alignment is fine, just front to back is off. Appreciate all the replies and the video.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    please let us know how it works, I've been meaning to try, but with time change it's always dark and weekends are either busy or like today cold and rainy. I'm not really worried, but I'm really anal.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I always had an under bite but when I got a new base (warranty) it went away.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    I tried the technique in the video and it didn't seem to allow me to adjust the front to back alignment by using the crescent wrench on the hinge and lift it to move it forward. Now that I think about it, why would loosening those 4 screws that attach the band to the dome have anything to do with the offset? Maybe I'm missing something.

The only thing that seemed to work was to loosen the band bolt that straps the dome and then move the dome into the proper position. Once positioned, retighten the band bolt while applying pressure to keep the dome from shifting.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I recall their is some little piece a brand new un-assembled Egg comes with that holds the bands in a closed position.  After assembly, when the weight of the lid keeps the springs from making the bands separate, the little piece is removed.  As my egg was delivered, completely assembled and installed in a metal table, I do not have the luxury of possessing this piece in the event I would need to use it for a re-alignment or replacement of a cracked lid or base.  Is there any way to acquire this particular part?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Zmokin ... I went back to my dealer and he gave me a pair of the white retainer pieces from the last large egg that he assembled. 

For a large: the overall dimensions are 1" x 3" x 1/8".  The holes are 1/2 inch in diameter and the spacing is 2-3/32" center-to-center.  They're a very stiff plastic, so looks like aluminum would be extra strong.

For other sizes, I would think that the spacing is the only dimension that would change.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Zmokin
    Options
    @Zmokin ... I went back to my dealer and he gave me a pair of the white retainer pieces from the last large egg that he assembled. 

For a large: the overall dimensions are 1" x 3" x 1/8".  The holes are 1/2 inch in diameter and the spacing is 2-3/32" center-to-center.  They're a very stiff plastic, so looks like aluminum would be extra strong.

For other sizes, I would think that the spacing is the only dimension that would change.
    Thanks! :)

• bwarner
    Options
    http://youtu.be/71Jplxn4yAg

try this if you wish
    Mine had a underbite also. I tried this and it worked.

try this if you wish

try this if you wish

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I tried the technique in the video and it didn't seem to allow me to adjust the front to back alignment by using the crescent wrench on the hinge and lift it to move it forward. Now that I think about it, why would loosening those 4 screws that attach the band to the dome have anything to do with the offset? Maybe I'm missing something.

The only thing that seemed to work was to loosen the band bolt that straps the dome and then move the dome into the proper position. Once positioned, retighten the band bolt while applying pressure to keep the dome from shifting.
    Loosening and then tightening the band bolts is not a fix for a front/back alignment issue. What is needed is 4 washers. If an overbite, washers on the lower band. Under bite and the washers on the top band.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I got an underbite and no gasket and it still smokes like a champ and holds 250 no problem.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The band has to be the worst design ever made. The dome can fall out with high heat and the bands are constantly not aligning, my large I just sold had the same issue I could take it apart and get everything perfect then tighten it down and the POS would shift. I spent $700 worth of my time trying to make it line up so I think BGE owes me some money.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I fought an underbite for a considerable time, including replacing the bands. I gave up and accepted it. It hasn't affected the gasket yet. When it does, I'll replace it with one from @RPP. It cooks just fine.
    Kemah, TX
  • Zmokin
    edited December 2014
    Options

try this if you wish
    My bands are black.  Why are yours silver in color?

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've tried realigning several times and finally came to the conclusion...I don't give a rat's ass so long as I can hold L&S, dial in my temps & smoke isn't leaking around the gasket area like a civ. I cook on it and and if it shifts I address it when I'm piddling around doing maintenance and at the same time make sure the bands are at my German specs gooden tight.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Smoker317
    Options
    I have a 3/8" under bite that I can not seem to get adjusted.  It started off about an 1/8" a couple months ago.  Will it get any worse than this?  I still have a good seal for now.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    @Smoker317‌, mine has been at 3/8 just about as long as I've had my large egg. No indication it's getting any larger.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    My bands are black.  Why are yours silver in color?
    @Zmokin ... those are custom made bands.  The guy really likes to build things.  Check out some of his videos ... he even has a couple videos showing how he made his own kamado cooker.

things.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY5SEtKtaumJrL3FJEW2EyA

He's got a couple of videos showing someone changing out a seal on an BGE ... using an angle grinder.  Sent it to @RRP for his comments ... Ron's wife had to use the defibrillator on him to get his heart started after viewing the video.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Took a new hinge assembly to fix mine. But like others have stated, it didn't Impact anything much. So what you scorch a bit of gasket...it's more of a personal preference to have perfect alignment as it doesn't seem to impact performance. Agains, new hinge did it for me. Good luck.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat