Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Fail Pics

I'm about ready to give up on Pizzas.  The first time I made a pizza on the egg it was AMAZING and I've tried now probably 5-6 more times chasing that high and I just cant get a good pizza.  All my crusts come out like crackers.  They're dense and hard.  

Here is my recipe 
572g 00 flower
372g water
12g salt
7g dry yeast

I mixed in Kitchen aid for 3 min till it was balled.  Let sit for 10min then mixed again on medium speed for 5 min then low for 2 min. Placed in an oiled bowl for 1.5h.  Punched and portioned into 4 balls and let sit for another hour.  

What am I doing wrong?  Does flour get old? 

Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
Orange, CA

Comments

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Perhaps purchase the dough from a pizza place. After you make a few try doing your own again...
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Your pizza stone may be getting hotter than the dome. Try cooking at a lower temp and really letting it settle in to the temp for half hour or so.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    I think the first time we used just regular flour so I went out and found a little mom and pop Italianstore that sold the 00 and looked like the flour was on the shelf for a while.
    Orange, CA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    That's a LOT of yeast! Try this recipe. http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf

Also, ball it and put the balls in the fridge for at least a day. Three days is better.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Thats the recipe I used.  I didn't think dumping a whole yeast packet would have a negitive impact.

Orange, CA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Are the 4 rough looking clumps under the cellophane your portioned dough balls? If they are that is your biggest problem on getting a round pie. Also the dough balls should almost double in size before they're actually ready. Maybe this will help. I use one egg in my dough for color and as far as a dough recipe I have a couple I like depending on what type of pie I'm making.
    Bruno's NY Style Pizza Dough: http://youtu.be/Ju3MEV-dQ0A
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • This is the dough recipe we use, this makes 2 pizzas.  Never failed. 

1 tbl yeast
    1 1/4 c warm water
    4 c flour
    2 tbl olive oil
    1 tbl honey
    In medium bowl, combine water & yeast and honey.
    Leave 5-10 until yeast activates and develops a layer of froth.
    In a large bowl mix sea salt & flour and make a well in the middle.
    Add yeast & olive oil.
    Mix w/hands or use KitchenAid.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Flour water salt yeast. ..great book for dough and bread....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited December 2014
    You need a MUCH longer rise.  That isn't enough time for things to develop.

We make our dough from 185g 00, 65 g Whole Wheat from freshly ground wheatberries.  1/2 tsp garlic powder. 176g water.  1/8 tsp salt.  1/4 tsp yeast.  Go 32 min in Zo bread machine on 'dough' setting.  Take out and rise for 2 hrs in oiled bowl with a wet towel covering.  Make into ball and pull 'skin' back over the dough.  Let rise for 1 more hour directly on cookie sheet - again with wet towel covering.  Shape into 12'' or so circle.  Works every time, and we get awesome crust.

Many recipes go for an overnight rise in the fridge.  We haven't gotten around to trying that yet.

KEEP YOUR DOUGH MOIST with the wet towel.  Cannot overstate the importance of this..(ask me how I know..)

This took me about 20 years to figure out and perfect.  Good luck!
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    @Carolina Q +1 thats the recipe I use for my wood fired pizza oven. I use 250g dough balls and try and stretch the dough as thin as possible.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    That's a LOT of yeast! Try this recipe. http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf Also, ball it and put the balls in the fridge for at least a day. Three days is better.

I agree, this has been my only dough I will make now.

Are you rolling your dough? try hand stretching so you don't push out all of the air.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    where's that secret dough guy? you know, the guy....
    ;)
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    There was a post here years ago linking to an external pizza website where people were trying to recreate mellow mushroom dough. I have made it several times and its probably the best dough I have ever made. The flour water salt yeast dough is also good.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

A few of my latest

imageimage

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    bigguy136, that looks AWESOME!! Trying out my pizza stone for the 1st time tonight. Do you put the stone directly on the platesetter? What temp do you cook?

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    TCT said:
    bigguy136, that looks AWESOME!! Trying out my pizza stone for the 1st time tonight. Do you put the stone directly on the platesetter? What temp do you cook?

Do not put the pizza stone right on the PS. You need an air gap or you will burn the bottom of your pie. Use the green feet from the egg (if yours came with them), foil balls, a grate, machine bolts.... anything will do the trick, just raise the stone....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013