Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Tri Tip

Options
Here's dinner tonight.  Garlic salt, Heart Breaking Dawn's Cajun Blend and Pepper.  Unfortunately my bride is under the weather, so I made a pot of chicken/veggie soup for her.  Not the way I would prefer it, but I can season and cook the way I want.image
LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 

Comments

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I like this cut of meat, it's a bit more on the done side than I normally do, but it's still good.imageimage
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Looks good. I really would like to try tri. I'm headed to Cali in a couple of weeks, maybe I can find it in a restaurant, not egged but at least I can see it.
  • logchief
    Options
    Most BBQ places out here do Tri Tip and a lot of good sandwich shops put out some good Tri Tip sammies.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Nice looking tri, looks tasty.  I think Costco keeps them stocked just for me.  I have done 9 in the last five days.  Its the most requested thing that I cook for people.  I am glad that cows keep making them.
  • logchief
    Options
    Nice looking tri, looks tasty.  I think Costco keeps them stocked just for me.  I have done 9 in the last five days.  Its the most requested thing that I cook for people.  I am glad that cows keep making them.
    I wish Costco in CA would stock briskets, but there not going there.  And nobody in the east can find tri tip.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me my friend =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• logchief
    Options
    Thanks SGH
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    logchief said:
    I wish Costco in CA would stock briskets, but there not going there.  And nobody in the east can find tri tip.
    I feel your pain.  Utah Costco's stock tri tips, but no packers, just the flats.  I keep a Sams club membership just for packers.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    @logchief Every once in a while you'll find a packer brisket in a Costco out in CA, but I agree it's rare. I was surprised to find good packers at Smart & Final, so that may be worth a look. It is nice to have ready access to good tri-tip, and honestly it's a much simpler cook than a full brisket.

@theyolksonyou - +1 on finding a good tri-tip sandwich while you're out in CA. Where abouts are you headed in that great big state?

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Black_Badger‌ will be in Anaheim for a few days.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    There's a 'local chain' in that part of CA called Wood Ranch that tends to be very good, although I haven't been to the Anaheim location. Another good option to check out is similarly a 'local-chain' called Lazy Dog Cafe, and they're around, but not exactly in, Anaheim.

Often times some of the the best tri-tip sandwhiches will be at a ballgame or street-fair, if you're feeling adventerous (which ids highly recommended...). Enjoy the trip!

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Here in SoCal, the local Costco (Oxnard - more than just a pretty name) almost always has brisket flats; no packers.  However, they always have tri tip.  The hot ticket is the bulk packs of prime tri tip, less than a dollar a pound more than choice, and not blade tenderized.  You can purchase tri tip there in individual (2) packs, but it's $2 more and blade tenderized. 

Santa Paula, CA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So what am I looking at there in the 20 lbs. package? 
    I can find plenty of meat diagrams online, but since the tri tip is such a small cut I was wondering what pieces you'd carve out of this large cut?
    Bottom Sirloin - Tri Tip diagram
    LBGE/Maryland
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Good looking cook.  I've been craving Tri for the the last couple weeks but Costco here in my neck of the woods doesn't have any.  They also didn't have pickled jalapenos saying it is "a seasonal item".  Really starting to piss me off.  My favorite butcher doesn't even have tri.  Now I don't know what to cook tomorrow night for new years.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌ it is probably 5 tri tips ready for you to put on the Egg. No prep other than your choice of marinade/seasoning required. Get out the FoodSaver and you have enuf tri tip to last a month. There are different size packages - they vary in weight by the number of tri tips included. No butchering skills required.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    logchief said:
    I live in the East and get Tri Tip all the time - but not from Costco -- they still refuse to carry it here. I get mine from a local small chain of supermarkets called Stauffers.  They carry it most of the time and put it on sale once/month or so.  Just talk to your local market's meat manager.  Almost any store can order it from their supplier. You may have to buy more than you want, but maybe they'll stock it if they see it selling.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    If I want trii tip, I have to go to Trader Joe's. That's the only place I have uncovered the delicious treat here in MN. 

I also agree that you'll find some of the best tri tip sandwiches at the little hole-in-the-wall joints in CA. They're simply amazing.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @logchief, looks great brother, hope to see you at the Eggs by the Bay eggfest
    @theyolksonyou, if you are anywhere near the Bay Area, I will take you to Restaurant Depot, and we will get you a cryopack full of tri-tips to take home, I am in Hayward, message me and let me know your dates.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "