Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looft lighter

Options
Picked up one for 68.12 after tax it was the last one. Had to grab it up good deal or not? Reading the safety warnings had a problem with a few. Any thoughts?

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Picked up one for 68.12 after tax it was the last one. Had to grab it up good deal or not? Reading the safety warnings had a problem with a few. Any thoughts?

What does that mean you had a problem with the safety warnings? I usually don't have problems with safety warnings because I don't read them. :))
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    My personal opinion is $70 could be better spent. I just don't need another accessory laying around to light egg. I use the cheapo sticks from Publix or oil and papertowel. Having said that, all a matter of preference. What safety issues you concerned with?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

That's a good price.  They are definitely a luxury, but I like mine and use it regularly.
    NOLA
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Santa brought me one and I don't really find it any easier than the cubes I was using. I'm gonna use it a while longer but if it's not any better I'll send it to the isle of misfit toys.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @UrbanForestTurnings, you're going all in.  Enjoy the new toys.  That's why we work, or did work, as hard as we did.

Happy New Year!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    IMO...

Pros-Starts a decent fire in 5/6 minutes.

Cons-My thumb gets tired of holding the damn button for 5/6 minutes.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I use a heat gun to light my lump. I have never used a looft lighter, but from what I have read they don't seem to last long. 

With that being said the main reason for the failures seem to be that people pulse (off, on) the trigger. Apparently you are supposed to go full bore and then turn it off. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Safety warning number 13. I just don't understand . Hey i can open a beer with it. Darn that gravity thing
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I'm 4 months 50/60 cooks into using mine and it works fine. It lights reused lump twice as fast and Hope it last a couple years or more. I used a electric starter for years and they are very reliable
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I just got one from Santa and used it 3/4 times and really like it.  Only prob is having to get out the extension cord, but it's fun to use
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Just had to grab it. Was the last one. I have mapp gas ,chimney starters. Will play with it. But you can open a beer with it
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I've had mine for 4+ years using it at least twice a week and it still runs great! The only time I use the propane torch is when I travel with my small or if it is raining when I light the egg. I use my index finger to hold the trigger down over my thumb and that is much more comfortable for me. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I got one for christmas and Have used it a few times.  I really like it.  Ive used electric starter and a MAP torch.  I like the fan with the looft.  I wouldn't have bought one because I'm a tightwad but i'm glad the wife did. 

XLBGE 
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Used, heat gun(basically same as luftlighter but a lot cheaper) ,cubes,Map torch and paper towel and vegetable oil . Have to say favorite is paper towel oil combo. Gets fire going fast with least amount of messing around.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Love mine too..doubles as a home security device

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• tywarren
    Options
    Love it and use it for every cook.  Have not had any issues.  It is definitely a luxury though and not required.

LBGE Owner - Nov/2014

Denver, CO - transplant from the great state of Texas

• Handcyclist
    Options
    Use mine all the time.  Only drawbacks are the need for an extension cord and if it is raining. No one has mentioned, it is also great for making s'mores.  Put marshmallows into a sugar cone and add pieces of chocolate.  Use the loollighter to toast the marshmallows and you've got a dessert for everyone.  
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I tried to use mine to make crime brûlée, but the fan blew the sugar all over the place :smile:http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148477/valentines-cook#latest
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I have one and used it for awhile, but the fan can and does kick up sparks (I have a wood deck). I now use the BGE electric starter, which I used before. Only thing I like about the Loof more than the BGE electric is that I don't need and extension cord with the Loof (since it has a loner cord)
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Nick311
    Options
    Save your money and buy a twenty buck heat gun.
  • sfont
    sfont Posts: 4
    Options
    I just got one of these for christmas and it works good.  I found you need to press it up against the charcoal in order to get it to light quickly.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    I hope you enjoy the heck out of it! But for 12 bucks, I like my plug in electric element starter and the 5 min alarm on my phone to tell me when to pull it out before I melt it-  #nosparks
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Nick311 said:
    Save your money and buy a twenty buck heat gun.

I have two heat guns and map gas. Just had to pick it up it was the last one and some guy was eye balling it. Did try it last night on the egg. 38 seconds and had some lump going. 30mins before the ball drop. Me and my neighbor got into trouble with it. Hell the last time I got in trouble was last year. That sounds better O:-)
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I got one for Xmas and it seems to work pretty well. It takes me 3-4 minutes of holding the button to get the lump to light well.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options

I got one for Xmas and it seems to work pretty well. It takes me 3-4 minutes of holding the button to get the lump to light well.

34 sec. Hit it in 3 spots