Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Grill Works 2 Tier on the Mini Max

Big_Green_Craig
Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
edited December 2014 in Forum List
I am a huge fan of the Ceramic Grill Works 2 Tier swing racks. I already have one for my Medium and XL Eggs, but I wanted to have a tad bit more room on the Mini Max.

With the Mini Max cooking surface the same as the Small, I ordered the Small version of the CGW 2Tier which comes with a 13" main grate and a 10" top grate. 

There were two problems with the fit on the Mini Max:
1) The collar on the bottom grate is longer that the legs of the plate setter are tall. 
2) The shaft was way too long. It actually stuck down into the charcoal when set at the desired height. 

The first problem had an easy solution. I simply flipped the bottom grate upside down so that the extended collar faces upwards. Now the plate setter can be used. 

The second problem required a slight modification. The shaft included is for a Small Egg and not intended for the squattiness of the  Mini Max. I took my sawzall and cut the 7" stock shaft down to 3-1/4". The modification went smooth and turned out pretty damn good. I can't wait to get it in action! 

The Mini Max 13" cooking surface is awesome, but who couldn't use some extra cooking space?! 

Comments