Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will a Woo really help?

Shortly after I got my LBGE, I purchased the R&B Adjustable Rig, and absolutely love it.  It has really been a game changer with the Large.  Now that I have a MiniMax that came with a free platesetter, I'm wondering exactly how adding a Woo will help with cooks.
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    edited December 2014
    I don't have a MIniMax, but if the same principles apply, there are times when you want to get your meal closer to the reflective heat of the dome, like when cooking toppings on a pizza before the crust burns.

Without the plate setter, raised direct helps with chicken wings, crisping the skins before and after the first flip.

When I cook salmon, I like to keep that above the felt so I don't break it apart flipping it.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited December 2014
    Hmmm, I didn't realize how much higher it raised the grill. I just went back and looked at some of @Mickey posts about it, and I think I'm sold.  Just wish USPS didn't gouge those wanting to ship to Canada.  It almost doubles the price.

But correct me if I'm wrong, if I have the platesetter, there's not benefit to getting the 10" stone Tom sells.  Yeah??
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Sure. It can be pizza stone
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Greeno55
    Mickey said:
    Sure. It can be pizza stone
    Always thinking sir!!
    =D>
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Well worth the coin on the MM. Used mine for the first time yesterday. I didn't get the stone or drip pan. But, both setups are sweet. The WOO works perfect.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Greeno55
    Aww man, CGS is out of stock on the stone.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

I told Tom when I ordered the woo and stone for the MM that he'd sell out fast.  you can never have enough Big Green Egg accessories.

I have the platesetter for MM and the woo/stone setup.  The woo stone setup offers the advantage of being able to raise the grid, and do indirect cooks and recharge fuel if needed easily by lifting out the rig setup, as opposed to the tricky task of lifting a hot platesetter (ok, conveggtor) out.

One thing I've found in my experimentation is that the MM seems to run 50 - 100 F hotter (I've gotten it up to 750F) with the woo stone setup.  Max temp so far achieved with the platesetter has been about 675F .  I really want to make 'za on the MiniMax and will report back here with results when I do it for the first time.

• Mickey
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:

Mickey what size grate is that in the picture?

• Mickey
    edited December 2014

• Mickey
    edited December 2014
    Mickey said:

I had not installed my new 9" High-Q Fire grate yet and it was that. But a 10" Mini grid will work as well. image@Marcusp‌

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Just ordered the Mini Max setup from CGS myself.  Can't wait to get it in, I love new toys!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Flipping the Woo also works great to hold a small wok from the wok shop. It is a much better fit on the mini max than on the mini or small.
  • Greeno55
    Thanks guys for chiming in. I decided to go ahead and order it, just kept flip flopping on whether or not to get the 10" stone as well. I ended up emailing Tom, and asked about the benefits of ordering the stone besides having it for pizza, since mine came with a free platesetter.  I'm sorry, I can't call it a "conveggtor".  One thing he mentioned, and finally sold me on it was it opens up a bit more air flow because of the lack of the three legs.  He maintains this will help with low and slows in such a small firebox.  Went ahead, bit the bullet and hopefully it gets here soon.  I took the opportunity to order an extra set of cross bars for my large adjustable rig, because I either didn't order the right amount, or lost one.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Greeno55
    Thanks! If it's even half as useful as my adjustable rig, I know I will.