Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WHO in their right mind would cook a ........

Options
GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
Standing rib roast for 18 hours. My brother-in-law in OK bought a $160 standing rib roast for Christmas. Took it to his wife's family that included 6 sisters and no other husbands. He was a little out numbered. The women fought over how to cook it and were hell bent on cooking it in stand alone electric roaster. CrInge! They put it in the roaster at 200 for 12 hours. One of the sisters didn't think it was quite done so she cranked it up to 375 for 6 hours. I believe my poor bil had the worse Christmas dinner. Sooners aren't having a good night either. What were they thinking? ;;)
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2014
    Options
    :(( 
    That was supposed to be the crying emoticon but it didn't work

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I just shed a tear.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    :-??
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    May it rest in peace!!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Pulled beef sammis
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I bet your BIL won't do that again. 

If it was me, next time I would show up with a bucket of KFC.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    We just got home tonight from visiting family in PA. Last night we waited 3 hrs past time to eat for a turkey breast that "just isn't done yet" we actually ate with out the turkey. He was waiting for it to hit 170. It was at 155 when we sat down. Simultaneously I was instructed to make my "famous" mashed potatoes. Then wasn't allowed to use real butter, whole milk or ANY salt. :((
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Man I am glad we had Christmas at my house! My MIL wanted steak so I grilled 14 very large ribeyes. I put 7 steaks on each of my large eggs. It completely filled the eggs up. 

They were very good to me and everyone seemed to enjoy them. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌ your mashed potatoes just became paste. What were they thinking?
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    @Lit I don't think you could pull it that over cooked. He said it was like shoe leather.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Poor guy... Hope he had something along with him to drown his sorrows. 

If he didn't drink all of it on Christmas, he's sure going to need it in the second half tonight. The Sooners are just not into playing football tonight the way it looks.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I am sorry for his loss!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That poor dude. That rib roast was probably better suited for a dog's rawhide after they were torturing it. That or it would require an exorcism to bring it back from the dead. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Just like when someone eats something you cooked and asks for the recipe. Back in the pre Egg days, the neighbors loved my wife's Chicken Cordon Bleu. She shared the recipe. A few weeks later the neighbor complained her's wasn't as good and there must have something missing from the recipe. Upon questioning we found out 'I didn't have time to brown in a pan so I just breaded them and put them in the oven. I didn't have Canadian Bacon so I used lunch meat. I didn't have Swiss so I used American'.
    Options
    I am glad I am not the only one with screwed up family. You guys are making me feel almost normal. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Just like when someone eats something you cooked and asks for the recipe. Back in the pre Egg days, the neighbors loved my wife's Chicken Cordon Bleu. She shared the recipe. A few weeks later the neighbor complained her's wasn't as good and there must have something missing from the recipe. Upon questioning we found out 'I didn't have time to brown in a pan so I just breaded them and put them in the oven. I didn't have Canadian Bacon so I used lunch meat. I didn't have Swiss so I used American'.

LMAO! I had a similar kind of experience years ago and for 2 years thereafter until they moved 1,500 miles away I heard she was telling people I purposefully left something out of the recipe! That gal was the true bubble head, blonde, sh*t for brains bimbo!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Damn Ron, how do you really feel? =))
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That's the funniest thing I think you've ever posted Ron. =))
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    We just got home tonight from visiting family in PA. Last night we waited 3 hrs past time to eat for a turkey breast that "just isn't done yet" we actually ate with out the turkey. He was waiting for it to hit 170. It was at 155 when we sat down. Simultaneously I was instructed to make my "famous" mashed potatoes. Then wasn't allowed to use real butter, whole milk or ANY salt. :((
    You should have given them a few raw potatoes in a blender, that's not mashed potatoes.  And the prime rib is a sacralidge 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I like it when @RRP takes the gloves off! Happy New Year Ron! 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

oh...I left out that she had store bought boobs plus her thighs were wider than her butt!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Ron is on a roll! 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    :(( 8-X :-\"
    canuckland
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    RRP said:

Jeremiah said:

oh...I left out that she had store bought boobs plus her thighs were wider than her butt!

And that's a problem?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    henapple said:
    Jeremiah said:

And that's a problem?
    You can't win the Miss 'Boro contest without buying your boobs first.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    Standing rib roast for 18 hours. My brother-in-law in OK bought a $160 standing rib roast for Christmas. Took it to his wife's family that included 6 sisters and no other husbands. He was a little out numbered. The women fought over how to cook it and were hell bent on cooking it in stand alone electric roaster. CrInge! They put it in the roaster at 200 for 12 hours. One of the sisters didn't think it was quite done so she cranked it up to 375 for 6 hours. I believe my poor bil had the worse Christmas dinner. Sooners aren't having a good night either. What were they thinking? ;;)
    So, do you know if the 6 sisters feel bad about totally destroying a $160 slab o' beef?

And are you one of the 6 sisters?  Because all of his wife's sisters would call him BIL.

Or are you related to him via one of his brother's?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's crazy.I'm glad everyone around me has more faith in my cooking skills than their own. If I told them I was gonna soak it in Bacardi 151 and set it on fire before we put it in the oven they would probably believe it would come out awesome.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    GrannyX4 said:
    So, do you know if the 6 sisters feel bad about totally destroying a $160 slab o' beef?

And are you one of the 6 sisters?  Because all of his wife's sisters would call him BIL.

Or are you related to him via one of his brother's?

The BIL is MDSH's brother. You silly guy - I am NOT one of the sisters. I have no idea what went on after they realized they ruined the beef. IMO they are too stupid to know what a good piece of meat is and should not be allowed in the kitchen. I sent my BIL a foolproof recipe for in the oven and he showed it to them. Mine recipe was in the oven for 4 hours. How or why would someone think 18 hours was good? Next year they need to cook @Travis's Oklahoma prime rib!