Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well I screwed up the turkey question

Options

Twenty pound turkey on the Egg and Guru set at 275, so I'm golden. Thirty minutes or so later, I go to take a nap and one of the kids decided to peek in on the turkey. The dome probe slipped halfway out of the egg. So when I woke up to check on the turkey, the temp is at 425. It was most likely there for a good hour or so. so three hours in and the food probe is saying it's done. So I took it off..............and now I have breast sort of done and dark meat not close.

So:

question 1) What should I have done?

question 2) What should I do now short of chopping it up for stir fry? Any way to finish it without drying it out?

Thanks!!!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Separate the thighs and legs from bird and continue to cook.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Go ahead and separate the thighs and put back on the egg by themselves. What is the temp of the breast meat that is sorta done?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    +1 with the above-FYI,I plan on 12 mins/lb at around 350-375*F on the dome.  So that's around a 4 hour cook for your bird.  If you were only at the elevated temp for about an hour, then it's not surprising that it needs more cook time.
    Regarding what should you have done...only the parent can deal with that  
    :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @grege345 - great minds think alike!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Freeze the 'undesirable' stuff and re-cook later as needed for, chile, burritos, soup, pot pies, casseroles, and on and on.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Microwave can be your best friend right now for a quick get to temp finish.  Carve up the pieces and microwave each to achieve your goal temp.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    On question 1) I usually check the birds temp in a lot of places before taking off to make sure it is done. On question 2). Separate, FTC breast and put dark meat back on to finish. I would to it up to 350 to get it done quick. Good luck, I hope you told the kid to not touch the egg again. My kid is to young and small to lift the lid.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Need internal meat temperatures first.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Smoker317
    Options
    I screwed up my first deep fried turkey 16 years ago or so, too hot of oil, etc..  The microwave salvaged a disastrous fry.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Smoker317 said:
    I screwed up my first deep fried turkey 16 years ago or so, too hot of oil, etc..  The microwave salvaged a disastrous fry.
    Glad to see another person realizes the microwave can be your friend with undercooked poultry.

I've done it many times as I seem to pull chicken out of the oven or off the grill too early sometimes.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Cut as said. I cook all turkey @ 400 direct raised anyway so crank it up on the Egg.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bottomfeeder
    Options
    Another reason why I should give the Smokeware Cap a chance. That has happened to me too many times.