Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Cap

Options
2»

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Plus whatever on on the Smokeware cap. No issues on shutdown...unless you don't close it properly. I'm not an engineer but think you are really splitting hairs on the shutdown discussion. How much lump are we talking about assuming you don't do it right???? 1/10 of a bag over a year so $2.50? Go with what you prefer and be done with it. Both systems work fine but diffferent...both lookgood but different. Pros and cons to both. Enjoy and have fun.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I enjoy reading the Smokeware reviews. I think they look really cool and it seems like it's easier to keep it set while cooking. I have a bad habit of not checking the DFMT after adding/checking food. I've had it move even if it's set so it shouldn't move. This is one of those items that if I broke my ceramic cap tomorrow, I'd order. I just have so many other priorities and a Smokeware cap isn't at the top. Also, as far as snuffing out the egg, the ceramic cap itself will snuff out the egg even with the bottom vent open an 1". Probably not as fast, but it will snuff it out. I occasionally forget that too. Even when I leave it open, I have plenty of lump for the next cook.

I will keep up with the reviews because eventually I want one/will get one. Rain is not a problem where I live, so the DFMT works good as long as I remember to check it after opening the dome. . My worry is the wind. The wind has blown the cap of my stove pipe off before, so that's why I'm also hesitant on getting one. The reports of looseness is not sounding good, but there's no doubt that the cap adds style to the egg.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I can't believe that @rrp has not chimed in on this subject yet. He is a big proponent. I have two. They season and close well even though they start loose. I never checked on my first one but on my second I have only used it 3 times and it is shutting down just fine now. I love being able to cook in the rain an not having to worry about the position of the daisy wheel swing screw so it does'nt fly open when I lift or lower the lid.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    As @rrp suggested, install it with the gasket attached to the inside of the Smokeware cap-not attached to the Egg. I ordered another gasket and did that-it worked very well shutting down the Egg after doing that. Hope we see one soon for the Mini Max.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    I can't believe that @rrp has not chimed in on this subject yet. He is a big proponent. I have two. They season and close well even though they start loose. I never checked on my first one but on my second I have only used it 3 times and it is shutting down just fine now. I love being able to cook in the rain an not having to worry about the position of the daisy wheel swing screw so it does'nt fly open when I lift or lower the lid.
    Sorry - I was tied up.

Yes I am a BIG fan of the Smokeware cap and have had mine for going on 3 years. Mine is tight, snuffs the fire and I don't even know where my ceramic cap nor daisy is nowadays! As others have pointed out the air leakage is minimal if any after a few uses!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have had mine for a good long time now and it's great!
    Never any problem with slipping out of adjusment or falling off.  Never.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Plus whatever on on the Smokeware cap. No issues on shutdown...unless you don't close it properly. I'm not an engineer but think you are really splitting hairs on the shutdown discussion. How much lump are we talking about assuming you don't do it right???? 1/10 of a bag over a year so $2.50? Go with what you prefer and be done with it. Both systems work fine but diffferent...both lookgood but different. Pros and cons to both. Enjoy and have fun.
    I don't know how much extra lump is burned, probably not much as you indicate, for me it's the time.  With my Ceramic, I know the egg will be cool enough to put the cover on in 2 to 3 hours.
    with the smokeware cap, it can still be too hot IMO after 4 hours.  That is how I first noticed it took longer to shut down, is when after 4 hours, I went outside and the Egg was still quite warm.
    Then after a short cook one time, when the smokewood was still creating visible smoke, I noticed when I shut it down a small but significant wisp of smoke leaking from the Smokeware Cap.  I tried adjusting it to see if I could stop the leak and was unsuccessful.  I removed it and put on the Ceramic cap, and it stopped.  That was when I knew that the Smokeware cap was indeed my slow shutdown problem.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• bottomfeeder
    Options
    I guess I will keep it and give it a shot.
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    I bought one at an eggfest in 2013, Used it once and didn't like it so I sold it to a friend and I use the daisy cap now for low n slows. Normal grilling I control the temp with the bottom vent and go capless.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I've had mine well over a year on my LBGE. I installed Rutland around the chimney not inside the Smokeware which IMHO makes it very easy to clean. I tend to be OCD when cleaning the Smokeware inside and out with Barkeepers and water after smokey cooks (basically I clean it every time :) ---creature of habit I guess). Even with it spotless it dials in nicely and will choke out the fire with no problem. But, I still use the ceramic cap because the cover removes easier with it and catches on the Smokeware. I'm in the process of trying to mod one to fit my MM (we'll see how that works out). If I'm successful I'll post how I did it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Wooden disc idea as suggested by Jeepster yesterday
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I guess I will keep it and give it a shot.
    Do give it a shot ... I think you'll like it.

Here's a picture of the gap in mine:

My gap looks as bad as yours, but in practice it doesn't seem to bother the cooking.  I can see where the shut down might be quick one time and not so quick the next, based on which one of the three closure positions you end up using.  I can also see where someone could end up with a tighter fitting assembly and be scratching their head over our concerns.

Your first concern was the top flying off and I can assure you that has never come close to occurring with mine ... even with the gap above.  Also, the top doesn't rotate when opening the lid.  So, except for the shut down time, it's a great solution for me.  And, a simple wooden lid, like Ron made for Judy, solves any shutdown time lag on mine.

I suspect that achieving closer tolerances with the thin wall stainless would drive the costs up too much to be a viable product.  Plus, if the clearances were too tight, then a little gunk would freeze the two parts when the egg cooled down.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• bottomfeeder
    Options
    Well I sent mine back. Maybe some are better fit then others.