Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Late gift - NYC tap water

Options
My son and DIL got me 2 gallons of NYC tap water for making pizza dough.  Great gift and I can't wait to try it.

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Oh man. That's great. That's some good stuff. You don't know how good your water is until you had Florida liquid sulfur.
    Dunedin, FL
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    for what it's worth... you can send a little of it off to Ward Labs, and they will e-mail back a water report. Infact, in brewing, I probably have a similar profile of the water anyways.. You can get a couple easy to find minerals, like calcium chloride from beer/wine making shops online or locally, and then use reverse osmosis water and build the water back to what the NYC profile is pretty darn easily. I can take RO water and make any water profile from anywhere just about. I do it for brewing, and use a scale to measure out my additions based on how much water I need.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What is NYC water? Is that what we call belly water?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    SGH said:
    Its a bunch of hooey. 
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    rtt121 said:
    SGH said:
    Its a bunch of hooey. 
    Just a shot in the dark here, but does the NYC stand for New York City? If so, whats the significance?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Pizza people will say the mineral content of the water in NYC is part of the superior product one can buy in NYC.

They say the same about naples.  It is mostly hooey. 

And as @FatC1ty pointed out you can start with RO or distilled water and build whatever water profile you desire.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    There has got to be something special in the water that would make millions of people live in just one spot on the globe. It's either that, or they are fricken crazy.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Terrebandit - I couldn't agree more. I like visiting NYC, but no way I could live there.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    The water from NYC is the secret to the New York style pizza crust.  I'll be planning a cook soon to see if it makes a difference.
    Options
    Doesn't that come from one of the rivers out there? Flint is now getting its water from the Flint River and no joke it's brown. My home is on well water, but I work in downtown Flint. I don't use the drinking fountain. But I'm sure the NYC water is screened from the garbage, medical waste, submerged cars, murder weapons, used condoms, raw sewage, body parts and whatever bums do in the river.

Good luck with the pizza.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Tj - let us know how the cook turns out. A few years ago while visiting family in Kingston, Ontario - aka The Limestone City, we built some home made pizza. It was oven cooked, but the crust was easier to work and seemed to have a better texture than our regular west coast crust. The water in Kingston is very hard, the water in Vancouver is very soft. Didn't think the water could make that much difference in pizza crust - never heard of using NYC tap water - today's lesson learned! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I think they say the same about San Francisco and the water and sourdough bread.I am afraid I don't believe it. Did you know that most water in NY is fed from gravity rooftop tanks, mostly made from wood? I was surprised about that fact.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    anton said:
    I think they say the same about San Francisco and the water and sourdough bread.I am afraid I don't believe it. Did you know that most water in NY is fed from gravity rooftop tanks, mostly made from wood? I was surprised about that fact.
    2nd lesson learned for today, I am at capacity - please stop! :-O
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ever try drinking a gallon of distilled water every day?
    Especially as a scrawny little 8 year old.
    That was one of the strange ideas my doctor recommended trying for my asthma.
    It tasted yucky.  I felt bloated/water logged for a month.  I was glad when that trial didn't seem to produce any desired results and I could go back to normal amounts of tap water for my daily subsistence.  Although, i guess I would have been happy if it had cured my asthma, but it didn't seem to induce any noticeable improvement.

BTW, best water I have ever had used to come out of my grandma's tap.  it was from a mountain spring in the Sierras.  So wonderfully cold and a great flavor year round.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If the water does make a difference in making good crust in pizza then you think it could be done other places. Most water treatment plants have to meet at set of standards as to what levels of chemicals and menarals can be in it. Did you know that most public water will has levels of arsenic, cyanide, chlorine, fluoride and other things. It could be the Hudson River that is the difference, but I doubt it. If you think it makes a difference go for it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • MadcapMagician
    Options
    As some one who lives on Long Isand.....New York. There is something in the water that makes some of the best bread, pizza and bagels. What it is exactly, I have no clue. The water in NYC doesn't come out of the Hudson. The Hudson River is a tidal river which would impart some seriously saltiness to everything. The water comes out of reservoirs in upstate New York.
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    i had heard that it is the minerals that over the years have lined the piping system that the water travels through from upstate.
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • MadcapMagician
    Options
    Kind of makes sense, cut a pipe in New York and let it dry, lot of minerals there on the inside of the pipe
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited December 2014
    Options

If you can't get NYC water,

here's the next best thing:

:)  Whatever works.  B-)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I did some work at a Dupont plant where they pulled water from a river upstream, used it, cleaned it and put it back in downstream.  There was a problem downstream where they started having fish dying everywhere...  They discovered the water going back in was too pure.  They then started pulling water mid-way, remixing it with the cleaned water before discharging downstream. There is such a thing as too clean.

This plant actually made water filtration fibers where they pushed water through the sidewall of this hollow fiber and what came out was only H2O molecules because the fiber could only pass water molecules... pretty cool.   It is the fibers used around the world for desalination.  In Saudi Arabia, the water source is the Gulf of Aman sea water.  One of the scientist/chemist I talked with said you could filter urine and come out with pure drinkable water.  I never took him up on the taste test...
  • MadcapMagician
    Options
    But you thought about it didn't you? :))
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

We missed Chicago tap water when we moved to Iowa for a few years! We would fill a few bottles of Chicago tap water to take back with us whenever we were visiting the city . It tasted a lot better than Iowa City water.

What's not to believe about water affecting the food you cook with it? Water is different in different parts of the country and the world - just like the soil, humidity, air, etc are different. Its why things can be made a certain way, or taste a certain way, because of where they were made. Its the concept of terroir.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    When I worked at Costco the dough for the pizza was from a NYC company that advertised "Made with NYC water!" on the box. I never cared enough at the time to check why, but I thought is was odd too until I researched it later on. It may come down to the TDS in water, it may not, but you can "doctor" water to mimic a certain area's supply, like @fatc1ty said. Many brewers do this.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    There's no hooey in this. Anything you cook or brew includes water to some extent. I grew up in the northeast and never took water for granted until I moved to Florida. The water here is nasty and loaded with sulfur and chlorine and that affects everything from pasta to baked goods. There used to be a bakery that trucked NYC water down because it really does make a difference. Can you still cook good pizza anywhere in the country? Yes. Will it taste the same in each part if you use water from different regions? No, but only to some one who knows different and has a a tuned palate. My opinion based on experience. The best water I've had is spring water filtered through lots of moss. Lake water in Algonquin is pretty memorable too.
    Dunedin, FL
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

NYC water is actually some of the purest water due to the tanks on top of the buildings.  Water get pumped up to the top then has time for all the crap to settle into the bottom of the tank.  The intake for the building is about a foot or so off the bottom of the tank, so the sediment falls below that.

**Benefit of dabbling in TV production work....  Anyone see Dirty Jobs episode where he helped rebuild a tank of top of a building????  I was part of that episode's crew**

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options

NYC water is actually some of the purest water due to the tanks on top of the buildings.  Water get pumped up to the top then has time for all the crap to settle into the bottom of the tank.  The intake for the building is about a foot or so off the bottom of the tank, so the sediment falls below that.

That may be true, but it also helps that NYC water comes from the Catskill Mountain area of upstate NY.  The Pepacton reservoir has a reputation for having great water.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA