Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Selling a brisket short!!!

Options
I have seen many recent posts extolling the immediate use of a many hour smoked brisket flat (which just happens to be riding along with the point on a packer) for the main chili ingredient.  I am clearly missing something here.  I have never thought the flat would be first-served to chili (without or with beans:)) and need help.  Perhaps someone will enlighten me.  Remember I am not from Texas so the obvious may be "plumb avoiding me!"  Happy New Year-
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm not from Texas either. But I can tell you if you like chili, one would be hard pressed to do any better than adding brisket. The two tastes just compliment each other perfect. For the record, brisket chili is one of my very favorites. The only thing that gives chili more life than brisket is beans. If you doubt this, ask Mickey ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I love flat meat as much as point, they both have qualities I enjoy. I have not had it in chili yet, I need to make some, with beans ( don't shoot me).
      :D
    =))
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I've never made brisket chili, but I got some at http://qbarbeque.com, and I have to say, it was probably the best chili I've ever had. Tuffy also makes really good chicken and ribs too. Haven't had the brisket, but I will get it next time.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    In my family we generally prefer leaner cuts so we slice the flat and serve/eat it preferentially - if it turned out reasonably moist. We often pull or chop the point and use it for sandwiches or chili.
    When serving to a large group I separate the point from the flat and slice to individual requests as many people (and apparently most here) prefer the fattier point. If there are leftovers, I often put it in chili no matter what portion of the brisket it is.
    I think the practice of using the flat for something else probably comes from the fact that cooking a juicy tender flat is maybe the greatest challenge in BBQ. If you read @Cazzy's posts about Aaron Franklin's brisket, it is the flat that most impresses him. The stars really have to align for it to happen - start with a great piece of meat, great cooker, great execution of a well planned cook, great monitoring and judgement of when it is done, etc. There are a lot of us here that pull it off fairly routinely at this point, but we're not your average weekend grillers. So, I suspect that many briskets cooked at home (certainly many cooked at my home over the years) have a tough, dried out flat and a moist point - leading to the practice of using the flat for chili or something else.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    My grocery store just started selling JUST the flats.. or JUST the points... pretty odd. I almost bought a big ol' point the other day.. but refrained.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @FATCITY-You have a great source if you can just buy points as long as you are not getting gouged on the price.  Enjoy the opportunity.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.