Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confused on what to do........

Options
heathen
heathen Posts: 22
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
I have always wanted a BGE, but every time I decided I wanted one, I came up with 10 reasons not to, so it was just a back and forth battle. Then throw the misses into the deal, and sometimes she was all for getting one, other times I thought I was going to get shot for even asking about spending the money on one. 

Well I had these thoughts again the last month or so, done a bunch of searching and talking to people here and other forums. She gave me the "green" light, but I still couldnt decide. I made my mind up, "NO" and was just going to use the money for other things I had been wanting grill wise. Not just get some here and there, but go all out and get them at one time. 

"I DIDNT TELL HER THIS"

I woke up Thursday morning with a "gift card" for the local dealer that my XL BGE would be ready for pick-up Saturday morning. Well now what the heck am I going to do?!?!?!!?! 

I went and talked to the guy at the store (i know him well from getting most of my supplies and stuff from him), He asked me kindly to please take it home as it was sitting on the back dock and there wasnt any help to get it back in the store. He said if I wanted to return it I could and he gave me 30 days to decide. 

I still havent said anything to her as she was proud as all get out to have made the decision. She said you would have pondered what to do till day you died and still wouldnt have it. There it is!!!! 

Part of me wants to go fire it up right now and use it, part wants to break the news to her that I am not sure its what I want and could just use the money for other things. 

I guess in the end the choice is mine, keep it and be happy, return it for the refund and risk having her mad. 

I hate decisions!!!!!

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1  I'm sure if you asked this question on a Weber forum you may get a different answer, Fire that sucker up and enjoy.
    Options
    What you cooking tonight...Decision made..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Just do it for the missus ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Just do it for the missus ...

You'll never look back....
  • tjosborne
    Options
    If you grill at least once or twice a week year round keep it. If you only grill once or twice a month during summer It may not be worth it for you.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    tjosborne said:
    If you grill at least once or twice a week year round keep it. If you only grill once or twice a month during summer It may not be worth it for you.

Good point. I cook 3-5 times a week. Never did that with the gasser.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've always loved grilled food, and cooked on a gasser 3-4 times a month during the summer. Now I cook year round multiple times a week and have done things (like cure bacon, smoke nuts and cheese or make beef jerkey) I would have never dreamed I'd be doing. Edit: And that's in a Canadian winter.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I can only imagine the gumbo of hurt, mad, and indignation that would ensue should you even hint at retuning it.
    Kemah, TX
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @heathen‌, I wanted one 20 years ago when I bought my first gasser and now wander why did I wait so long. Yes they are expensive, but have one of the best warranty's out there and the only thing you can't cook on the XL is a whole hog. I've done over 20 burgers, 7 large steaks with room for more, a 18 pound brisket and 19 pounds of pork but in one cook. I do not miss my gas grill, because food taste so much better on an Egg. Enjoy it, cook something on it and if you don't like it I am sure some will take it off your hands.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited December 2014
    Options
    tjosborne said:
    I disagree.  SWMBO is for a reason.  It is also the case of , No One Is Happy, When The Wife Isn't Happy.  She bought it as a gift.  The only proper thing to do is to properly thank her for the gift and enjoy using it.  Marital Life will be so much better if you do this.

And after you get the hang of using it, you will be addicted to using it.  And this forum will always be here to help you on your journey.

Now figure out what it is you want to cook first, ask for help, and this forum will do it's best to help you succeed at being a happy BGE owner.

My wife bought me mine, I hadn't even thought of getting one.  and I really didn't want it when she bought it for me, but I knew better than to argue with her.  And while I still use my gasser, I find I do use the BGE more than the gasser and more than my Electric Vertical Water Smoker from Brinkmann.

I'm not the most prolific user of the BGE.  For instance, I still cook lasagne in the oven, I rarely bake, but I know I will never bake flour based items in the BGE (exception being I hope to try making a pizza in my BGE someday).  I use my BGE mostly for smoking meats and sometimes for grilling meats.  It is my go to device for making Pastrami.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Light it!

NOW! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Start cooking  you won't stop 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Friggin go for it!  What's the worst that can happen-out a few other things.  This one is too easy-@Zmokin has it right.  You could face a life or death decision-then there are consequences if you get it wrong.  Not so here!  Time for a shot of testosterone.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • heathen
    Options
    tjosborne said:
    As long as it isnt raining out, I would say on average of 4 days per week. Usually the only days I dont cook outside is if I have to work late. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Followup: The late and great Leroy Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, somethin' may be gaining on ya!"  Press on!  I do believe you know the right answer!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    Go ahead and ask for another one :) 
    Dallas, TX
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    What I live by..."When in doubt accelerate"...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I would say keep it for two reasons, make your wife happy that she made the right decision for you, and the other is you will now produce gourmet level food, superior bbq, and the best pizzas ever. I think it's really only the right thing to do. (subliminal peer pressure,)

:-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Really! Is this a cry for attention? I've heard it all now.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Just return it. I'm in the dog house now and I need some company
  • heathen
    Options
    Really! Is this a cry for attention? I've heard it all now.
    If it was a cry for attention, I would be outside using it instead of it sitting on the bed of my truck trying to figure out what I really want to do with it. 
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options

Two things; a happy wife is a happy life!!!   The second is that a Green Egg is the best investment you will ever make if you enjoy grilling.  Anything you want to make it can pretty much do and excel at it.  You have been wanting it fro a long time now.  If you didn't want it you wouldn't have thought about it for so long.  Open the box put it together and grill something.  You will never look back. 

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Use it. If you got the green light from your wife you are good to go. You will not regret it. 

I was worried when I got mine hoping I hadn't made a mistake. That lasted about a day. Now I have two and couldn't be happier. 

We are here for you bro! Just cook something. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    If it keeps you from going out for dinner once a month for a steak dinner it will pay for itself in less than a year. Now go cook something and stop feelin sorry for yourself.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Cook something already. No reason to think about it especially if the wife has already approved it. If you cook on a gasser that much you will enjoy this ten times over.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    If you cook on a gasser that much you will enjoy this ten times over.
    At least 10 times if not more. I cooked on gas for years. I bought a charcoal grill and gave my gasser away. After I bought the egg the charcoal grill is used for storage. 

You will not regret it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    What a great dilemma to ponder..... Life is good!!!! Go ahead and cook on it - life is short and egg is great!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Use it.
    Light it up.
    Enjoy it.
    Thank your super spouse for it.

The important thing to do is get real handy with it and get HER used to eating what you cook with it before you casually mention    "gee, you know, maybe we could use a mini or minimax, also!"
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon