Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised indirect?

Options
I see many use this phrase "raised indirect" and I wonder what this means? Does this just mean with plate setter in place (legs up) and the grate on top of the plate setter legs? I'm a new egg owner and have been browsing CGS and Have seen references to their woo, woo2 and adjustable rigs. The primary purpose of these appears to me to be to add more cooking area for bigger cooks, either large quantities or multiple foods. Sorry for my noob question.
BGE XL Woodlands, TX (Originally from Buffalo, NY but I got here as fast as I could)

Comments

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Both raised direct and indirect is getting the grill above the felt line.  The products at CGS are fantastic for that.  I have the adjustable rig with extender for my large, and just ordered the woo for my new minimax last night.

Before I got the AR, I used a variety of different things to raise my grid, from fire bricks, to empty aluminum cans. 

Many cooks benefit from getting higher in the dome to either have more space between it and the fire, or to take advantage of the radiant heat up high.  Ask all the questions you need.  We are a group that love to help.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Raised direct gives you added distance above the coals and raises the cooking grid usually up to the rim of the bowl especially for cooking stuff like chicken.  No plate setter.

The adjustible rig and the woo are aftermarket products you can get to accomplish this or simply use some bricks, beer cans to hold an additional grill elevated above the BGE grill.  Or you can build something like this cheap.

Ain't no noob questions here, I'm pretty noob myself and have learned so much here from the great folks and super eggers.

And also welcome to the zoo

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Here is my set up for my XL. By doing this I can cook on two levels.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Ladeback69 ... Is the tapered riser in your first and second picture the BGE version or an after market item?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ladeback69
    Options
    @Ladeback69 ... Is the tapered riser in your first and second picture the BGE version or an after market item?

That is a BGE product for the XL that my dealer sells. I added the bolts to get more height over my dutch oven. When used normal I can get a 19 pound brisket on the bottom and 2 pork butts on top or another brisket. The only thing is the welds aren't that strong and they keep breaking. I am on my second one. It as a BGE warranty, but not for life. I am going o have it beefed up at a welding shop so it can handle more weight. Its very handy and I like using it. Ask your dealer about it. I think it was like $50, I can't remember for sure. My dealer ships things and their web site is kcbbqsource.com.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Ladeback69 ... unfortunately I have a large egg.  And, BGE doesn't make one for it.  You'd think accessories for each egg size was designed by a different person in a different country!  I love the concept ... more than the bolt and nut approach ... might have to experiment with standard steel rod. 

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    As a follow up to my previous post. This is a 10.5lb spatchcocked turkey with the adjustable rig, and my stock stainless grill on the top.imageimage
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    These work well if you don't want to MacGuyver one or spend the $ on an AR at this point.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004JF60DI?vs=1
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    @Ladeback69 ... unfortunately I have a large egg.  And, BGE doesn't make one for it.  You'd think accessories for each egg size was designed by a different person in a different country!  I love the concept ... more than the bolt and nut approach ... might have to experiment with standard steel rod. 

@Jeepster47‌, they do make a 3 tier for the large like this one. http://www.kcbbqsource.com/big-green-egg-3-tier-cooking-grid/ Ceramic grill works.com makes a two tier that swings. http://ceramicgrillworks.com/product/large-2-tier-adjustable-swing-rack-system/ Ceramicgrillstore.com makes the AR. So many choices.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Legume ... @Ladeback69 .... Thanks for the references. I have a PSWoo for the raised portion .... to felt line. Then a Weber 14.5 inch grate on fire bricks for the second tier "extra" raised ... extra 4.5 inches above the felt line. That spacing with the Weber grate seems to be a good combo. Looking for something to replicate the height without resorting to fire bricks or bolts/nuts.

• Ladeback69
    Options
    I will try and get a photo of it some time and send it to you. I bet a welding shop could make smaller one for the large.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Thanks for the offer, but please stay off your feet. My dealer has one in stock, so I'll take a second look at it when we return home.

My welding shop is my nephew and his daughter ... my gas outfit and his wire outfit.