Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's been almost 24 hours since I've last cooked a turkey.

Options
I guess it's the burden of being an Egg owner.  Last year I was asked to bring the turkey to my mother's place for Christmas Eve Dinner.  Everyone loved it, so I offered to do it again this year.  For Christmas day, another bird for dinner at home.  Yesterday, brought an Egg cooked turkey roll to dad's.  I figured it was all over for another year, but yesterday, I was asked by someone at mom's if it would be too much to ask if I cooked one for them to make soup and sandwiches.  So about throw another one on.   This is only a 10 pounder. I think I'm going to try spatchcock.  Figuring 350-400 raised direct.  Crazy part is, all this cooking, and I haven't even used a full bag of lump yet.
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited December 2014
    Options
    That is a lot of turkey, like the saying goes - the reward for good work is more work.

Sounds like you had a busy Christmas ... hope there is not too much snow up North.  It's a green Christmas here.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    That is a lot of turkey, like the saying goes - the reward for good work is more work.

Sounds like you had a busy Christmas ... hope there is not too much snow up North.  It's a green Christmas here.
    You got that right EggNorth.  But I don't mind at all.  As everyone here knows, the look on people's faces when they try food off the Egg is worth it.  I've had friends who almost begged me not to add smoke to any food because it ruins meat.  Well they've all be quick converts.

We had no snow to speak of until Christmas eve, and even now, it's a couple inches and melting.  Sure as hell making up for last year's brutal winter.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Greeno55 said:
    I guess it's the burden of being an Egg owner.  Last year I was asked to bring the turkey to my mother's place for Christmas Eve Dinner.  Everyone loved it, so I offered to do it again this year.  For Christmas day, another bird for dinner at home.  Yesterday, brought an Egg cooked turkey roll to dad's.  I figured it was all over for another year, but yesterday, I was asked by someone at mom's if it would be too much to ask if I cooked one for them to make soup and sandwiches. 
    I hear ya @Greno55, Two birds down and another planned for New Years Eve. 
    I had a tent set up over my egg for the rain on Christmas eve, but when the wind woke me up @ 3 AM it had turned to snow and flattened my tent. Definitely need a roof on my deck.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Greeno55
    Options
    And we're off. Raised direct with apple chips and a cherry chunk. Coated with Dizzy Dust for something different. imageimage
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I believe there is a 10 step program for bringing you down from your poultry addiction.
    1.  Begin cooking smaller birds.
    2. begin cooking more beef & pork
    3.  Switch to just parts, like wings only.
    4. begin making more appetizers ABT's etc.
    5.  start wrapping everything in bacon
    6. buy a side of beef and fill your deep-freeze with steaks and roasts
    7. begin making your own sausage
    8. Tell your family to knock you upside the head anytime you say "spatchcock".
    9. Repeat after me, "Ribs, Ribs, Ribs, I love Ribs."
    10. Remember, Pork, the other white meat.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Greeno55
    Options
    @Zmokin - haha, that's funny. Trust me, I do not have a turkey addiction. I don't even want to look at one until Easter. In fact I've already gone out to buy some red meat to take my MiniMax for a test drive tonight after I deliver the bird.
  • Greeno55
    Options
    Holy hell!!! Double checked and it was a 12 pounder, averaged about 375° and was pulled in just under 2 hours. Can't beat spatchcocked birds.image
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    That's a fine looking bird!   You're going to get many more request.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)