Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Do You Sharpen Your Knives?

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    jls9595 said:
    I just ordered the Ken Onion Work Sharp. I had been contemplating for almost a year but thanks to this thread and probably the Tito's I'm sipping I took the plunge. Thanks again eggheadforum! This place has separated me from more of my money over the past 3 years than my wife and kids have.

you will like it. I've really enjoyed mine. It's taught me a lot about knives, edges, sharpening etc. I have zero regrets. This place is expensive for sure. Tito's always helps.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Edge Pro Apex. Very happy with it. Quick to learn, easy to use. Versatile. Fun (but I don't do it except for myself and a couple of close friends and relatives).

Highly recommended!
    South SLO County
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My kitchen knives and I are old friends, I forgive the chef's knife that nearly took my thumb in a recent potato dicing massacre. (Right across the nail, what a mess that made!)

I get mine professionally sharpened. It would take me years of sharpening bills to pay for a high end sharpener like the one you're looking at.

What's the return on investment for you? If sharpening all your knives and tools amounts to a couple years worth of outsourcing the job, then it's a no brainer.

The ROI is having sharp knives & tools on hand.  I don't want to take my gear to somebody else to sharpen.  I'm not into buying a stone and watching videos on how to use something I know I have no interest in using.   End result: nothing gets sharpened.  I know me and that's how it will play out. If I can buy a system that will repeatedly sharpen anything I can think of correctly and in just moments, then I will use it.  The job gets done.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone‌ the stones are very simple. Much easier than these complicated machines that take up space. I can sharpen a knife in 2 minutes on stones.
  • Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    Options
    i bought  a Tormek ten years plus ago , they had a couple of models and this was the bigger of the two. The only problem was/is is that the center shaft on it is mild steel and as its a  water stone it rusted and expanded and cracked the stone in half! Its broken two stones now and I'm deciding whether to buy the third stone.
    makes a fine edge when its working though
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Can a person put paper wheels on the T7 or do you have to do that on a seperate machine?
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Chetscapes
    Options
    Another easy option is buy razor edge sharpening guides. I use them on king Japanese water stones. You will have a lot more money in your pocket verses the Tormek. Free hand is not that hard on water stones.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Can a person put paper wheels on the T7 or do you have to do that on a seperate machine?

I have wondered this myself. I like using paper, muslin and corn cob wheels on my Baldor. If the T7 can use these same wheels I would but one in a second. The T7 has some nice safety features. The Baldor does not. Both wheels are fully exposed.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RickyBobby
    Options
    SGH said:
    I have wondered this myself. I like using paper, muslin and corn cob wheels on my Baldor. If the T7 can use these same wheels I would but one in a second. The T7 has some nice safety features. The Baldor does not. Both wheels are fully exposed.

For some reason I'm thinking the T7 doesn't turn fast enough for the paper wheels to be effective ... but I'm just assuming that. Again not sure. Probably would need a separate high-speed grinder/buffer for the paper wheels. Although, in the long run, would probably be best anyway so that a fella wasn't constantly switching them around.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Aussie said:
    i bought  a Tormek ten years plus ago , they had a couple of models and this was the bigger of the two. The only problem was/is is that the center shaft on it is mild steel and as its a  water stone it rusted and expanded and cracked the stone in half! Its broken two stones now and I'm deciding whether to buy the third stone.
    makes a fine edge when its working though
    They make the T7 with a stainless steel shaft.
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited December 2014
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    My kitchen knives and I are old friends, I forgive the chef's knife that nearly took my thumb in a recent potato dicing massacre. (Right across the nail, what a mess that made!)

I get mine professionally sharpened. It would take me years of sharpening bills to pay for a high end sharpener like the one you're looking at.

What's the return on investment for you? If sharpening all your knives and tools amounts to a couple years worth of outsourcing the job, then it's a no brainer.

I couldn't agree with you anymore than I do! While I am a do-it-myself kind of guy I appreciate those pros who know how to sharpen my knives, my tools, my expensive table saw blades etc. and they know if they screw up expensive pieces they are dead for future business from the serious world out there! Granted at my age I could never recoup the cost of that expensive equipment, but I'm cool with letting someone else earn a buck doing it right.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I'm liking the Ken Onion. Its $129 on Amazon. I have it on my wish list and if it drops lower it will let me know and may get it then. My Victorinox knife is needing sharpened. I am also going to get the steel rod to keep it honed between sharpings.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bottomfeeder
    Options
    A few years ago I purchased a Tormek. I am not impressed for the price.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    May I ask what model you have and why you're not impressed?
    Flint, Michigan
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Geez, I can't decide to follow @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ or @RRP‌. I am needing a couple shuns sharpened,and there's several other knives I'd like to put a wicked sharp edge on, but I also am wanting to get a meat grinder. Desicions...
    Dunedin, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    yzzi said:
    Geez, I can't decide to follow @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ or @RRP‌. I am needing a couple shuns sharpened,and there's several other knives I'd like to put a wicked sharp edge on, but I also am wanting to get a meat grinder. Desicions...

how many knifes do you want sharpened? How good are you at following manufactures's directions for optimum results? Do you have a trusted butcher shop down there? Someone there knows somebody who knows what he\she is doing. It does not take very long to ruin a great knife FOREVER!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    i have Zwilling knives so i use the sharpener that came with them for a quickie sharpening.

for more extensive sharpenings i have a spyderco sharpening set that does a real good job.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    My Victorinox knife is needing sharpened. I am also going to get the steel rod to keep it honed between sharpings.
    Brother I'm no knife expert by any stretch of the imagination but I do tinker around with them quite often. That said, let me make a friendly suggestion if I may. Instead of buying the steel rod, buy a ceramic rod. Especially if it's for a Victorinox. The ceramic rod is far the better choice my friend. The steel rod on straightens the edge. The ceramic rod will straighten as well as taper our small bends and rolls. By using the ceramic rod, you extend the time between having to use a stone to bring the edge back to its original state. For boning and the big breaking knives, the ceramic rod is far and away the better choice.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Shuns have a sharpening services for either cheap or free. I have a couple others I'd like sharpened. I have no good butcher shops, but I'm sure I can hunt down someone. I'm good at following directions, but I'm also good and screwing things up occasionally. Now a meat grinder for some cured fun is very appealing.
    Dunedin, FL
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I send my Shun knives back to the factory for free lifetime sharpening.  Only a bit for shipping required.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well, I would have to say that saying you can ruin your knives forever is a bit over the top. I like doing it myself. I could send my shuns in, but I don't want to. I want to figure it out and I want to know that when i need a sharp knife, I can do it my damn self. I would rather ruin it learning something than send it somewhere else. I did some reading, watched a few vids, practiced on a few crappy knives and Ive never looked back. If you aren't in to it, by all means, find a pro to do it. I don't think discouraging someone from spending $700 forum dollars on toys is the right angle. If we were truly good forum members we should find even more expensive options and suggest those. That's the way forums work.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited December 2014
    Options
    That Baldor system I think it's even pricier so it must be better! I guess I was looking for more woodworking types to respond who also enjoy sharp kitchen knives. I need more than a knife sharpening system. If that's all I would use it for, then I should wear a helmet tomorrow (today) when I take Wilma to Rockler to see the Tormek system demonstrated. I may still need the helmet, but she's heard me say unkind things when I ruin a tool trying to sharpen it. I will use logic and persuasion and promising more than usual trips south of the border can't hurt either. <:-P
    Flint, Michigan
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Good luck on your decision. Take a look at a Wood Craft store
  • chick533
    Options
    I've had the Tormek for 10 years plus. Can't go wrong with it.
    2XLBGE, Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini, 36" Blackstone
    Raymore, MO
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Fred, I'm not good with sharpening knives either but for my chisels and planes I use the scary sharp method and have had excellent results. All you need is nice flat thick piece of glass and sandpaper. Maybe buy or make a guide but I've done my chisels freehand.

Google search scary sharp sharpening, there is a lot of information out there.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options

The ROI is having sharp knives & tools on hand.  I don't want to take my gear to somebody else to sharpen.  I'm not into buying a stone and watching videos on how to use something I know I have no interest in using.   End result: nothing gets sharpened.  I know me and that's how it will play out. If I can buy a system that will repeatedly sharpen anything I can think of correctly and in just moments, then I will use it.  The job gets done.
    I mentioned above a fellow who uses a Tormek professionally. I read an interview with him, and he did say there was a learning curve. I suspect w. any system or method, one must expect to start with a few old beaters, and practice before moving to better, harder steels.

At this point, I am unsure if there is anyone in this area I'd trust w. my best knives, and if I hadn't learned to care for them myself, I'd probably send them to some of the fellows out there who specialize in sharpening Japanese blades.

Once there is a good edge, assuming no big accidents, one only needs to use a ceramic hone, and/or get the hang of making a few light passes across a sheet of super fine wet/dry paper on a flat glass or granite slab. I only fully sharpen my better knives about once every 9 mo.s. I am just a home cook, but I have come to appreciate a blade keen enough that I don't get burning eyes while cutting onions.

As I mentioned, I bought a diamond slab for about $70. With that and a cheap angle guide, I can keep my chisels as sharp as I like. I will probably buy a finer grit slab in the future. For my gouges I find that hand working them w. stones and sandpaper, and then careful ceramic honing gives very good results.
  • bottomfeeder
    Options

I have the Green 2000 model. They are all pretty much the same. The stone clogs up fast and then you need to resurface it with the carbide stone, then when that does not work any more you need to buy the diamond truing jig, which works great but grinds the dia. of the wheel down, then you have to replace the wheel after so many time. I bought it mainly for wood working tools, but I have to say, its a slow process.

May I ask what model you have and why you're not impressed?

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

I called the Rockler store and learned they don't demonstrate more than once when they set up a demonstration.  They demonstrate once and that's it.  Since we missed it, we went to Woodcraft by my Mom's apartment (retirement home) to see the sharpening systems I was interested in person.  The Tormek T7 system was on sale ($665 with the small knife and large knife jigs for free) until yesterday, but we got the same deal so we picked it up.  We stopped by my Mom's house us kids are emptying and picked up a box of old knives nobody wanted so I have practice material.  Just arrived back home.  I've been enjoying adult beverages so I can't play with my toy until tomorrow. 

Flint, Michigan
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Our local craft store brings in a pro twice a year. I drop off the knives the day before, then pick them up all sharpened.
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    KOWS here. I have the Edge Pro and don't use it anymore. @RickyBobby‌ you can have my Edge Pro for 1/2 price. I have the case too. Mint condition. Let me know.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat