Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Cap

Options

Hi, after reading peoples praise about the Smokeware Cap, I decided to order one. Somehow  the male and female parts seem too loose. One reason I got this was I got tired of the daisy wheel moving every time I would open the dome. This is so loose that I am afraid the top is going to fly off.

Anyone else have this problem? I guess I could bend the female top alittle, but I do not want to screw it up.

Thanks

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Don't they have a gasket?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Don't bend it.  They gum up as you use them and get tighter.  You can also use the gasket piece to give you a tighter fit.

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Sistm
    Sistm Posts: 53
    Options
    If you place the wheel with the BGE logo to the back it shouldn't spin when you open it.

I am looking at a Smokeware next myself please keep us updated!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    The cap is ....over rated... Over rated......
    I have been through 2. It looks ok though.
    Seattle, WA
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    What happened to the first one?
  • bottomfeeder
    Options
    The gasket goes between the egg flange and the cap. That is not the problem. Its the two cap pieces that are loose.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I don't use any gasket. Mine gummed up perfectly and seals when closed to shut down the lump. It was loose as you describe when I bought it....it just takes a little while of cooking to "season" it.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• SkinnyV
    Options
    To add now they make a thermo with some cute colors. No thanks , oversized tel tru for the win if you need the upgrade.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    Options

What happened to the first one?

Never shut down my egg efficiently, had the gasket and all. The dealer gave me another when I mentioned it to him a year later and its still slow.
    I know some are happy buy I've seen others with the same shut down issues.
    Seattle, WA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Put the seal on the egg or the lower part of the SW cap ... your choice ... good reasons for each of the two options.  That will tighten up the bottom of the cap such that you will have to pull on it to get it to come loose.  Don't worry about any looseness between the top and bottom portions ... the top portion will not fly off when opening the lid of the egg.  After a couple of cooks and the accumulation of some "gunk" it'll be even tighter.  You need some venting, so any looseness will not affect the cook.

Cut a wooden disk 5-3/8" in diameter and add a wooden drawer pull in the center of the disk.  When you shut down the egg, lift the top portion of the cap (it's hot, so use some protection), insert the disk inside the lower portion of the cap and down against the top of the egg (you did put the gasket low enough so the disk doesn't hang up, didn't you?), and replace the top of the SW cap.  You now have the sealing capability of your ceramic cap.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I too found the Smokeware Cap did not shut down the Egg as efficiently as the ceramic cap does. It burned far too much lump, so I put it away and use the old-fashioned daisy wheel and ceramic cap like I did so many years before.

I don't have tools and cutting stuff so a wooden disk is not in my future.
    Judy in San Diego
  • bottomfeeder
    Options
    The loose fit is between the two SS parts not the cap and the egg.

Put the seal on the egg or the lower part of the SW cap ... your choice ... good reasons for each of the two options.  That will tighten up the bottom of the cap such that you will have to pull on it to get it to come loose.  Don't worry about any looseness between the top and bottom portions ... the top portion will not fly off when opening the lid of the egg.  After a couple of cooks and the accumulation of some "gunk" it'll be even tighter.  You need some venting, so any looseness will not affect the cook.

Cut a wooden disk 5-3/8" in diameter and add a wooden drawer pull in the center of the disk.  When you shut down the egg, lift the top portion of the cap (it's hot, so use some protection), insert the disk inside the lower portion of the cap and down against the top of the egg (you did put the gasket low enough so the disk doesn't hang up, didn't you?), and replace the top of the SW cap.  You now have the sealing capability of your ceramic cap.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    I too found the Smokeware Cap did not shut down the Egg as efficiently as the ceramic cap does. It burned far too much lump, so I put it away and use the old-fashioned daisy wheel and ceramic cap like I did so many years before.

Why go back to the daisy wheel?  You could have continued to use the SW cap and installed the ceramic cap for shut down ... yes? 

We get about four times the amount of rain as what you get in San Diego ... so, maybe you really don't need it.  I cooked in the rain three times in December alone ... that's one of the reasons I love the SW cap.  The second reason is that it's as simple to use as the bottom vent ... slide it to the left for less air flow and slide it to the right for more air flow.  The third reason is that it looks like it belongs on the egg ... stainless steel on top and bottom both.

A ball of tin foil should work well to "plug" up the vent hole during shut down.  But, if you really don't like the SW cap, then just ignore me ... many folks do!!!

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    We have been very happy with the Smokeware cap. As stated above, works great in the rain and snow. Shuts our large down very well.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    The loose fit is between the two SS parts not the cap and the egg.

We're traveling right now, so away from the egg.  I'll measure the gap next week. I doubt that you can slide the cardboard backing from a tablet between the top and bottom of my cap.  Is your cap looser than that?

• Holepuncher
    Options
    Place the screw on the daisy wheel at the front/6:00 position. This will keep it from falling off.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I like my Smokeware Cap for cooking, I feel it is easier for me to know how much I'm adjusting it vs. how the daisy wheel works.  but like many others, I am disappointed that it doesn't shut my egg down as efficiently as the ceramic cap, so I continue to use my ceramic cap now for shutdown.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    I just used mine for the 1st time yesterday and loved it. It seemed to shut it down just fine and controlling the vents is a breeze.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Pics of the gap? I've never had an issue on mine. I use the ceramic cap once I'm done using the egg but, only because the cover catches the Smokeware when removing it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Options

Why go back to the daisy wheel?  You could have continued to use the SW cap and installed the ceramic cap for shut down ... yes? 

We get about four times the amount of rain as what you get in San Diego ... so, maybe you really don't need it.  I cooked in the rain three times in December alone ... that's one of the reasons I love the SW cap.  The second reason is that it's as simple to use as the bottom vent ... slide it to the left for less air flow and slide it to the right for more air flow.  The third reason is that it looks like it belongs on the egg ... stainless steel on top and bottom both.

A ball of tin foil should work well to "plug" up the vent hole during shut down.  But, if you really don't like the SW cap, then just ignore me ... many folks do!!!
    I'm curious as to what vent hole you are plugging with foil ball?

Are you suggesting making a large ball to stuff in the top?
     or are you making a rectangular ball to stuff in the bottom?
    or would you suggest doing both?
    or something different than what I have said?

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I'm curious as to what vent hole you are plugging with foil ball?

The top vent ...

One of the complaints about the SW cap is that it doesn't snuff the fire as well as the ceramic cap.  I first experimented with an aluminum cap that goes inside the SW cap for positive shut down.  Then tried a plywood cap which worked just as well ... did five shut downs from over 400 degrees with no distress to the wood.  Judy said she couldn't make a plywood cap, so the suggestion was to use a tin foil plug instead.

The advantage of the plug is that ugly daisy and the ceramic cap are now relegated to the back of the storage box.

• bottomfeeder
    Options

Here is a picture of the gap. When the cap is sitting on the egg, you can spin it with one finger very easily

001.JPG 131.1K
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited December 2014
    Options

I have a full-length patio cover so rain is never an issue when I'm using the Egg. I've been doing this for 13 years so venting is second nature by now--the Smokeware is really just a new toy and pretty spiffy-looking. Who doesn't like a new toy?

Judy in San Diego
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I have my eggs on a covered patio, so no real rain threat unless it comes in sideways with the wind, but I still like my smoke ware cap on my large. It was loose when I got it, and worried about it falling off or moving around. I put the gasket material on the INSIDE of the cap, not on my egg. It seals up fine on there, but I still had the issue of the cap being loose on the two mating parts. Rest assured, it never flew off, and as I cooked with it, it gummed up enough where it was alot more sluggish to move around. As it gummed up from cooks, it also sealed up my egg and shut it down faster. I did have a problem with it burning more lump as I shut down, but I also blame that on the high q grate as well for what I felt was a jump in lump use.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Zmokin said:I'm curious as to what vent hole you are plugging with foil ball?

The top vent ...

One of the complaints about the SW cap is that it doesn't snuff the fire as well as the ceramic cap.  I first experimented with an aluminum cap that goes inside the SW cap for positive shut down.  Then tried a plywood cap which worked just as well ... did five shut downs from over 400 degrees with no distress to the wood.  Judy said she couldn't make a plywood cap, so the suggestion was to use a tin foil plug instead.

The advantage of the plug is that ugly daisy and the ceramic cap are now relegated to the back of the storage box.
    OK, I was just curious.  I know from watching smoke drift, that my SW cap does not seal as well as my  Ceramic cap.  I also know the shutdown performance is controlled by air FLOW.  air coming in brings fresh oxygen allowing for continued combustion.  Air flow requires an inlet and an outlet.

A perfect seal on the inlet and a slightly leaky outlet will still shutdown flow and therefore shutdown egg quickly.  A perfect seal on the outlet with a leaky inlet will also shutdown the egg quickly.

A good inlet and outlet shutdown will always work great as my ole Lil Smokey Joe weber used to, but unfortunately I no longer have that little briquet burner.

As my bottom inlet seems to leak, trying to make that a perfect seal seems like more work than keeping and using my ceramic cap.

• bottomfeeder
    Options
    I agree, you need fresh air in below the coals to burn. If you completely seal the lower air vent and take to cap off the top, the coals will go out.. With both shut, even a little air leak the burn will be smothered.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well, I think the smokeware caps "looks nice" and that would be the only reason I would consider. But for me, I have mastered the use of the DFMT and it just doesn't seem feasible to purchase the smokeware cap. It cant possibly shut down the egg as good as the the ceramic cap. Im not an engineer but to assume it shuts down the "same" or "better," as some have claimed, is hogwash.  Its apparent with the inconsistency of the reviews from those that have it. Some love it and some dont. 

My patio umbrella works just fine for me.

just my .02. Carry on. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • egger ave
    Options
    Never had a problem with my smokeware cap shutting the egg down. Easier to adjust and stay adjusted after it cruded up a bit from use.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options

Hi, after reading peoples praise about the Smokeware Cap, I decided to order one. Somehow  the male and female parts seem too loose. One reason I got this was I got tired of the daisy wheel moving every time I would open the dome. This is so loose that I am afraid the top is going to fly off.

Anyone else have this problem? I guess I could bend the female top alittle, but I do not want to screw it up.

Thanks

I had the same concern as you when I first received it. But it's been on for 8 months or so I been using it and as other have stated, it gets gummed with gunk and works smooth. It doesn't need to be readjusted when opening the lid and you can get precise adjustments. I shut down the vents down when done cooking and it puts out the fire just fine. 

Give it a try a few cooks and you will be happy with it I'm sure.
  • Roadpuke0
    Options
    As others stated, works great after a couple uses. +1 smoke ware cap
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin